• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Has the men's basketball program now, finally, hit ROCK BOTTOM?

Have we finally arrived?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Catamount got me thinking. I was approaching this all wrong. My all-bird team is just going to be the female equivalent of what ever the opponent comes up with. When the females trot, hop or fly on out to the court or what ever, all the opposing males will start doing some stupid dance, singing a song or flying some fast but useless aerial display. The ladies will destroy them.

Catamount got me thinking. I was approaching this all wrong. My all-bird team is just going to be the female equivalent of what ever the opponent comes up with. When the females trot, hop or fly on out to the court or what ever, all the opposing males will start doing some stupid dance, singing a song or flying some fast but useless aerial display. The ladies will destroy them.

Something akin to an OGB thread? Discussion ended. Winner.

At this point the majority of respondents to the poll believe shovels and dynamite are capable of a deeper bottom than rock. RJK, your input is requested.

That could be true. Most probably felt it couldn't get worse four years ago, yet here we are asking a question about rock bottom. Never underestimate Wellman when digging a hole for basketball.

Last edited:
Rock bottom isn't when you actually reach rock bottom. It's when you've convinced yourself you’re not still at rock bottom.

Last edited:
If spending five months in a never-ending argument between "Danny Manning is a pretty bad coach who probably should be fired" and "Danny Manning is an OK coach with potential and our AD can't hire anyone better" isn't rock bottom/hell, I don't think I want to know what is

For me personally, WF basketball is at its lowest point since the day I was accepted to WF. During the Bz years I would watch the games. I was angry and upset, but I'd post analysis and dream about how certain pieces would look with a new coach. I would watch mid-major coaches and post consistently in the coaching search board threads. We were close enough time wise from being nationally relevant that I was still hopeful we could recover from one bad hire.

Now I've esentially given up and I don't even plan on watching too much this year. I know we will be bad, we have been bad for so long, and I have no hope that WF basketball will be relevant in the near future. So I've fully made the shift from outraged to ambivalent wrt the program.

I can't be the only one with these feelings. We aren't as bad in a pure basketball sense as during the Bz years. But I've never cared less or been less optimistic about the next 5 years of WF basketball than I am sitting here today.

Here is the financial example outlined earlier in the thread as I see it:

1. At end of Dino era: WF basketball has a +1,000,000 net worth. Made the NCAA tournament 2 straight years. Likely considered a top 20-40 program in nation at the time. Some national relevance. Not great but solid position.
2. Bz completely tanks WF basketball and into -1,000,000 of debt (2mm loss in net worth)
3. DM reduces the annual deficit by improved performance over Bz. Breaks even 1/4 years. But is still completely terrible and drops WF basketball to -2,000,000 of debt (1mm loss in net worth)

RChill is basically saying that even though DM is shit, he's not as bad as Bz. I agree. But we are still running at a decifit and sinking farther from prominence.

Last edited:
For me personally, WF basketball is at its lowest point since the day I was accepted to WF. During the Bz years I would watch the games. I was angry and upset, but I'd post analysis and dream about how certain pieces would look with a new coach. I would watch mid-major coaches and post consistently in the coaching search board threads. We were close enough time wise from being nationally relevant that I was still hopeful we could recover from one bad hire.

Now I've esentially given up and I don't even plan on watching too much this year. I know we will be bad, we have been bad for so long, and I have no hope that WF basketball will be relevant in the near future. So I've fully made the shift from outraged to ambivalent wrt the program.

I can't be the only one with these feelings. We aren't as bad in a pure basketball sense as during the Bz years. But I've never cared less or been less optimistic about the next 5 years of WF basketball than I am sitting here today.

This is what I meant when I said Wake basketball is worse off now than when Manning took over.

4 years and 1 bad hire is a blip. 8 years and counting, sucking is the new normal. thanks, Ron.

If spending five months in a never-ending argument between "Danny Manning is a pretty bad coach who probably should be fired" and "Danny Manning is an OK coach with potential and our AD can't hire anyone better" isn't rock bottom/hell, I don't think I want to know what is

Definitely hell, but which circle?

Here is the financial example outlined earlier in the thread as I see it:

1. At end of Dino era: WF basketball has a +1,000,000 net worth. Made the NCAA tournament 2 straight years. Likely considered a top 20-40 program in nation at the time. Some national relevance. Not great but solid position.
2. Bz completely tanks WF basketball and into -1,000,000 of debt (2mm loss in net worth)
3. DM reduces the annual deficit by improved performance over Bz. Breaks even 1/4 years. But is still completely terrible and drops WF basketball to -2,000,000 of debt (1mm loss in net worth)

RChill is basically saying that even though DM is shit, he's not as bad as Bz. I agree. But we are still running at a decifit and sinking farther from prominence.

So the U.S. economy hits a new rock bottom each day, rather than hitting it sometime in 08’ or 09’ and then slowly recovering?

This is what I meant when I said Wake basketball is worse off now than when Manning took over.

4 years and 1 bad hire is a blip. 8 years and counting, sucking is the new normal. thanks, Ron.

1 year in college basketball is a blip now. Everything else is your new normal until it changes.

This take is so fucking stupid, I’m not sure why I continue to bother with it. If you took a poll of coaches, analysts, recruits, donors, former players, hardcore college basketball fans, and anyone else with a passing knowledge of Wake Forest basketball, over 90% would say that rock bottom for Wake (at least to date) occurred sometime in the [Redacted] era.

Being a wake fan is miserable enough, no need to exaggerate it like some hysterical child.

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

We just had a coach murder someone and nobody really cares because we are all checked out. Buzz was awful and we protested. Manning is awful and nobody is left to protest.

Rock bottom indicates that we are trending upwards. Can you really say that we are?

We just had a coach murder someone and nobody really cares because we are all checked out. Buzz was awful and we protested. Manning is awful and nobody is left to protest.

Rock bottom indicates that we are trending upwards. Can you really say that we are?

Incorrect and correct, at least compared to rock bottom.

Back