• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Newspaper Coverage

The fact that Conor will post here amongst the heathens is a nice change from Donut Disco Doofus Dan editing comments critical of Grobe on his blog. A welcome change -- just don't start using the phrase "eat chicken and talk football," please

Yeh, it was never Lennox' job to cover WFU on a daily basis. Conor with CP3's "endorsement" of the current basketball program in today's WSJ. Meanwhile, Ronnie thinks we are "championship calibre".

That was not at all my point, although I can see why you might think so. The Lennox Years, irrespective of Dan's involvement, were a period where Wake sports in W-S were dissed and ignored to the greatest extent possible. There were often bitter denouncements on the board about the poor Journal coverage of our sports, even when we were making noise, such as the early Grobe years. Don't claim to believe I don't/didn't know that Dan was our beat writer. I think Dan himself can disabuse people of that notion.

Also, by referring to the "Lennox Years", I'm purposefully excluding Dan from the blame for piss-poor Journal coverage while he was beat writer.

Last edited:
Man, yall are making me blush.

Seriously, thank you all for the kind words. It's awesome and honestly pretty humbling to read this thread. Les and I have both been grinding hard throughout camp and I'm grateful that work is recognized.

That "Christ Paul" headline -- man, I don't want to post too many curse words on here. Last week was ... interesting. I'll just say that I wish I wrote my own headlines.

And of course I'll post on here when I can. Audience engagement is important to me, and coming on here is a gauge for how yall are feeling, good or bad, about Wake sports. It's not the whole barometer, obviously, but it's part of how I can see what matters to Wake fans. I'm glad that the higher powers on this board, whoever they may be, gave me posting power a few months ago; it's a lot better for me to be able to post on here rather than last football and basketball seasons, when I was relegated to only observing.

I added a subscription to support the Deacs and Conor. Should know better after all these years. If the season starts and the Journal goes back to State and Holes coverage I will tell myself I told you so.....

To the best of my knowledge not reported by Roanoke newspaper or tv: Wake's tennis natty's in tennis, golf, and runner-up in tennis. Both reported Duke's runner-up in lacrosse

Roanoke should cover Wake football this season.
Boogie is from Roanoke

Man, yall are making me blush.

Seriously, thank you all for the kind words. It's awesome and honestly pretty humbling to read this thread. Les and I have both been grinding hard throughout camp and I'm grateful that work is recognized.

That "Christ Paul" headline -- man, I don't want to post too many curse words on here. Last week was ... interesting. I'll just say that I wish I wrote my own headlines.

And of course I'll post on here when I can. Audience engagement is important to me, and coming on here is a gauge for how yall are feeling, good or bad, about Wake sports. It's not the whole barometer, obviously, but it's part of how I can see what matters to Wake fans. I'm glad that the higher powers on this board, whoever they may be, gave me posting power a few months ago; it's a lot better for me to be able to post on here rather than last football and basketball seasons, when I was relegated to only observing.

Obviously there are a ton of State and uNC grads in WS. Vandy fans in Nashville have lodged similar complaints over the years regarding UT coverage in the newspaper. So far Conor is providing great coverage. Today another QB update and more takeaways from scrimmage: https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_0afc25c3-c59f-54f7-aeb0-90e451a30f7a.html

Edit: thought I was replying to dcon69

Last edited:
We should keep linking articles so that we can help give Conor’s editor the clicks he needs to justify continued good coverage.

I was reading the w-sj, getting ready to tee off at Grandover when I saw the typo.

Within 2 minutes, Chris randomly walked into the golf shop... i really wanted to have him sign it just to rub some salt in your wound.

in all seriousness, though... you're doing a great job.

Yeah I saw that headline and thought, he was really good, but not THAT good :eek:

Another difference in W-SJ Sports coverage in contrast to the Lennox Years is that there is much less coverage of the Triangle teams which so rankled us in the past. Wake is clearly featured now, and that is how it should be.

Another difference in W-SJ Sports coverage in contrast to the Lennox Years is that there is much less coverage of the Triangle teams which so rankled us in the past. Wake is clearly featured now, and that is how it should be.

That's how we like it to be, but the truth is that there are more State/Duke/UNC supporters who subscribe to the journal than Wake fans.

That's how we like it to be, but the truth is that there are more State/Duke/UNC supporters who subscribe to the journal than Wake fans.

And it may be beside the point. I'd wager the economics of the print news media changed a lot in the last 10 years or so making catering to the local business community a lot more important. Local businesses don't profit when fans leave town go to football games in Raleigh, Durham and C-H. They profit when their patrons stay home and attend the local college football games.

But that's really just conjecture on my part as I have no connection and hence insight into the business itself. But how else would newspapers make money these days?

That may be part of it. I think the bigger thing is that there are plenty of places to get stories on UNC and Duke. W-SJ is one of the few places to get stories on Wake.

Back