• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

NC Board of governor Thom Goolsby tweeted that the statue is going back up within 90 days. He used he hashtag “#hatecrime” to illustrate his dumb position on the topic. These people have no shame.

God I hope they tear it down the same night it goes back up.

God I hope they tear it down the same night it goes back up.

Yep. Find his Twitter and look at the replies. Lots of people on there saying they’re going to tear it right back down.

Get someone to build a statue of Harriet Tubman. Put it up in the same place. Force the state to tear it down to put back the Silent Sam statue.

NC Board of governor Thom Goolsby tweeted that the statue is going back up within 90 days. He used he hashtag “#hatecrime” to illustrate his dumb position on the topic. These people have no shame.

Good luck to the legislature with that. A new statue won't stay up without police protection 24/7, and the number of protesters and bad publicity for the state and NC GOP if they put it back up will be staggering. Having said that, I don't doubt that the NC GOP is simply using this issue to try and fire up their rural base for the November elections and beyond. They'll tell small-town white folk that not only are the Confederate memorials in their little towns in grave danger, but so are all other war memorials ("they're going to tear down your Vietnam and World War monuments too!"), that Democrats will outlaw the flying of the Confederate flag on public and private property, and pretty much any other wild thing they can think of to frighten and stir up the rubes. They'll castigate all those privileged, snobby, college kids and evil LibDem professors who have led them astray from good traditional small-town NC values, and turned them into "vandals" who are destroying memorials to our brave and noble and good and decent (slave-owning) forebears.

The truth or actual facts of their charges won't matter at all, because, as you said, they have no shame. Some NC GOP leaders no doubt are neo-Confederates who really believe the Confederacy was a "noble cause" and are clueless/willfully blind as to the actual history that these monuments memorialize. However, I think that most NC GOP leaders don't really give a crap about these monuments and statues, they just see them as a great way to gin up that base at election time. I guess we'll find out in November if it works.

Never been to the National Vietnam Veterans memorial. Is it celebrating the Vietcong or the NVA?

Glad to see others beat me to it.

It is honoring people from America who died in a war that totaled over 3 million deaths, which most agree America perpetuated for, at best, no real legitimate reason and, at worst, poor reasons. Most of both North and South Vietnam did not want us there and viewed us as no better than we would view slaveholders.

The confederate monuments are honoring people who died in a war that killed 620,000 people from America in a war that most now view the South as having poor reasons for fighting.

If the theory is that the monuments honor the dead foot soldiers carrying out their duties who were survived by American friends and relatives wanting to honor them, then both serve the same purpose. If the theory is that the monuments validate the political motives for the war itself, then neither of them are worthwhile.

My favorite part whenever arguments about Confederate statues and memorials comes up is the inevitable claim from those who support keeping them that, if we take them down, somehow we'll all forget about the Civil War and "lose our history". As if all those books and documentaries and battlefield parks like Gettysburg and Shiloh are also going to disappear. LOL.

The battlefield at Nashville, the site of the greatest victory achieved by a southern-born general of the whole war, IS gone.

It is honoring people from America who died in a war that totaled over 3 million deaths, which most agree America perpetuated for, at best, no real legitimate reason and, at worst, poor reasons. Most of both North and South Vietnam did not want us there and viewed us as no better than we would view slaveholders.

The confederate monuments are honoring people who died in a war that killed 620,000 people from America in a war that most now view the South as having poor reasons for fighting.

If the theory is that the monuments honor the dead foot soldiers carrying out their duties who were survived by American friends and relatives wanting to honor them, then both serve the same purpose. If the theory is that the monuments validate the political motives for the war itself, then neither of them are worthwhile.

traitors are traitors. they stopped being Americans the minute they took up arms against the Union.

the same rule applies today to your citizenship

The monument that was torn down is to a horrible racist who bragged about whipping a slave. There is no justification for that statue ever existing other than to "keep blacks in their place". This can't be honestly debated.

As to other statues, they glorify being traitors to the United States. There's no place for them.

As the only person on this board who attended the protest Saturday, let me say that the pedestal looks kind of silly without a statue on it.

The monument that was torn down is to a horrible racist who bragged about whipping a slave. There is no justification for that statue ever existing other than to "keep blacks in their place". This can't be honestly debated.

As to other statues, they glorify being traitors to the United States. There's no place for them.

No it isn't. The racist in question was a jackass who gave a speech at its commemoration, he wasn't the subject of the statue. The statue itself was a general depiction of a UNC student who gave up school to fight in the war, I don't believe it was modeled after a particular person. Shockingly, you are confusing two different things.

I stand corrected about the person, but not what the feelings were when it was dedicated.

traitors are traitors. they stopped being Americans the minute they took up arms against the Union.

the same rule applies today to your citizenship

But the Union wasn't then what it is now. Kind of like being able to recognize that the Second Amendment written 250 years ago shouldn't be viewed as everyone deserves a gun today, amirite?

Taking up arms against the United States is treason. There is no wiggle room.

I stand corrected about the person, but not what the feelings were when it was dedicated.

Whose feelings, the guy who gave the speech? So if someone builds a statue of Obama and I show up at the opening and rant about how hell yeah we bombed the piss out of those A-rabs under his watch, that means the statue soaks in those feelings and perpetually oozes them out?

As long as you legally own the gun, you are correct. And I am also correct. All Confederate Soldiers and leaders were traitors.

Whose feelings, the guy who gave the speech? So if someone builds a statue of Obama and I show up at the opening and rant about how hell yeah we bombed the piss out of those A-rabs under his watch, that means the statue soaks in those feelings and perpetually oozes them out?

Really makes you wonder why the UDC invited that Julian Carr guy :noidea:

Taking up arms against the United States is treason. There is no wiggle room.

So you consider members of The Weather Underground as treasonous and traitors, correct?

Or so does this rationale only apply when the political ideology of the treasonous traitors differs from your "moderate" views?

Back