• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

That is all wrong because unilateral state level secession isn't possible. The Civil War was fought to preserve the Union, not reunify it. The attempt to unilaterally secede, without congressional approval, was the traitorous act.

Horse Shit

bomb1.jpg

Ole Lec definitely advocates the South re-attempting to overthrow the government. He too is a traitor.

Horse Shit
You're an idiot. There's not even an official legal process for secession - it's completely theoretical. No foreign government ever formally recognized the Confederacy.

As I posted earlier, there is much legal and historical debate on the issue. Do you expect footsoldiers to be scholars?
Well, i'm confident that educated military leaders like Robert E. Lee were well aware that joining the confederacy was a legal act of treason, but his soldiers probably weren't.

I don’t disrespect your job at all. I do, however, think it causes you overvalue the importance of campus life for ordinary Americans. Having been to rural courthouses all throughout North and South Carolina, I think a statue on a town square carries bears more of an imprimatur of governmental speech than anywhere on a college campus, and it’s not close.

I’m not talking about “campus life.” I know that’s a trivial term for liberal college students. And “ordinary Americans” include the many many people who attend and have attended colleges and universities. An estimated 19.9 million students are enrolling this Fall.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=372

Do you even know the first damn thing about Robert E. Lee an his family beyond he was a Confederate general and they owned slaves ? Like, the Revolutionary War might not have gone so well without Lee's father ?

if you want to educate yourself there are plenty of sources. You're usually a smart poster so I'm not sure if you're trolling. http://origins.osu.edu/article/what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-confederate-monuments

Here's a good piece with some history behind Confederate monuments in New Orleans: https://thinkprogress.org/new-orleans-fight-confederate-monuments-1596a7d2618d/

My point, poorly made I admit, is that telling the uneducated that they're uneducated and have nothing to add will only make them dig in their heels more deeply on keeping the statues.

Do you even know the first damn thing about Robert E. Lee an his family beyond he was a Confederate general and they owned slaves ? Like, the Revolutionary War might not have gone so well without Lee's father ?

They don’t know squat about Lighthorse Harry Lee..

Let me tell you something — the street-wise brawler Sam Adams barred the door at Lee’s command..and Harry told the feckless from among that they’d either sign the document or be sequestered indefinitely.

If it’s about “heritage not hate”, why are all the statues preserving our history of that time period of white people?

What? I was just referring to his education. I'm fairly familiar with him. The last gift I ever gave my grandfather was a signed book about Lighthorse Harry Lee.

They don’t know squat about Lighthorse Harry Lee..

Let me tell you something — the street-wise brawler Sam Adams barred the door at Lee’s command..and Harry told the feckless from among that they’d either sign the document or be sequestered indefinitely.

What does any of this have to do with confederate statues in 2018?

Yeah that's definitely the takeaway

if you want to educate yourself there are plenty of sources. You're usually a smart poster so I'm not sure if you're trolling. http://origins.osu.edu/article/what-we-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-confederate-monuments

Here's a good piece with some history behind Confederate monuments in New Orleans: https://thinkprogress.org/new-orleans-fight-confederate-monuments-1596a7d2618d/

But the motive behind the statue doesn't make the statue racist on its own. If I dance around a KKK hood and put an apple in the street, I may be a racist but it doesn't make the apple in the street a racist symbol.

This is/was the plaque on Silent Sam:

1920px-Silent_Sam_plaque_inscription%2C_right_side_%28cropped%29.jpg

How is that any different than pretty much any plaque on any other memorial to soldiers? You could unbolt it from Silent Sam and bolt it to a Civil War statue at the University of Vermont and it would mean the exact same thing. Would it be racist there? If you changed the years and put it on a Vietnam Memorial, would it be racist there?

But the motive behind the statue doesn't make the statue racist on its own. If I dance around a KKK hood and put an apple in the street, I may be a racist but it doesn't make the apple in the street a racist symbol.

How is that any different than pretty much any plaque on any other memorial to soldiers? You could unbolt it from Silent Sam and bolt it to a Civil War statue at the University of Vermont and it would mean the exact same thing. Would it be racist there? If you changed the years and put it on a Vietnam Memorial, would it be racist there?

The plaque omits the word “against” their country if it’s really about historical accuracy.

Think about it this way. If you were the grandson of a Holocaust survivor living in Germany, how would you feel if you had to walk to school every day past a statue of a Hitler Youth with that plaque? Does generic wording somehow sanitize the message of that statue?

Note: Germany has no such statues, because they understand that the attempt to build a society on the dehumanization of an entire race of people is something to be ashamed of, not glorified.

If it’s about “heritage not hate”, why are all the statues preserving our history of that time period of white people?

Well, Georgetown, SC is working on a Harriet Tubman statue right now.

Savannah has a slave statue.

Charleston has a statue of a freed slave who planned a slave rebellion (you can guess how that turned out for him).

There is a statue of Booker T. Washington at Tuskeegee U and at his eponymous high school in Atlanta lifting the veil of ignorance from a slave.

I'm sure you realize the disingenuous of your question though. You may have also noticed the many statues of civil rights leaders around the South and the nation as a whole.

Back