• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

I don’t think there is enough space in the public square for statues of each individual confederate soldier. Plus, that would get really expensive.

usually we memorialize our dead with headstones in cemeteries

you think that confederate traitors deserve more?

usually we memorialize our dead with headstones in cemeteries

you think that confederate traitors deserve more?

Well that isn’t true they’re statues and memorials for every major American war in addition to headstones in cemeteries. Perosonally though I like my war memorials built for Americans who didn’t lose.

RJ you know that is different than honoring kids who fought and died in a war they were drafted into.

Not condoning the statues but statements like this are ridiculous.

No, it's not. Most volunteered to leave America, fight against and kill Americans. There's no excuse to giving any Confederates a statue in the United States. Should there be statues celebrating Lithuanian or Polish Nazis? That's absolutely no different.

Most who work in academia are way too busy to take anytime away from the office or classroom.

The question isn’t whether we should be building more statues to these soldiers. The question is what should we do with the ones we have.

Take them down. They should have never existed in the first place. This is especially true for the ones put up to intimidate black people, as many were.

To bring this a little closer to home for Wake people, what should happen to the memorial to the confederate war dead at the former Forsyth County Courthouse on 4th Street? Should it be removed to a graveyard where they are buried?

https://www.journalnow.com/news/loc...cle_4c6251a0-9b26-11e7-928e-a73a8b22463a.html

Not only should it be removed but it should be dragged through the streets and then destroyed using C4 to teach those racist fucksticks a lesson who put it up in the first place.

Can the dead not be honored without honoring the cause? Can modern Southerners make that separation, or do they have to go through contortions like the last 10 pages of this thread to "honor" the dead?

This is why I trolled the South overall a few pages back. It's part of the culture. They cannot let it go and modernize their thought. There is a perceived loss of identity or dignity when the progression of time and American culture pushes this form of honor into the dustbin of history, where it belongs. It's ridiculous and childlike. pull yourself together, your great great great grandfather whom you never met fought for a terrible cause. Maybe he didn't know any better, or had no choice. He may have also been an asshole coward racist, yo have no idea. He might have been a piece of shit. Honor what you can in a cemetery and family bible and modernize your thought. He is in heaven and the grace of God will help him see why you are doing so...

is arlington in DC?

i'm all for celebrating national heroes with statues, but we're not talking about national heroes, are we?

Arlington is not in DC. There are many statues in DC honoring many people. Circles and squares in DC usually have a statue of the person they are named for.

Um, sorry to break it to you, but it’s not southerners who can’t separate honoring the dead from honoring the cause.

um, yes it is. Well, and conservatives from outside the South too, I reckon from this thread. You really going to the mat for these statues, man. You feel a loss of something when they come down. You're Southern-ness will be diminished somehow?

Massachusetts had one plaque dedicated to confederate soldiers until last year. What should we make of a plaque to confederate soldiers in a state that wasn’t even part of the confederacy?

Back