• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

Massachusetts had one plaque dedicated to confederate soldiers until last year. What should we make of a plaque to confederate soldiers in a state that wasn’t even part of the confederacy?

So what? The German cemetery in Normandy is twice the size of the American one.

Massachusetts had one plaque dedicated to confederate soldiers until last year. What should we make of a plaque to confederate soldiers in a state that wasn’t even part of the confederacy?

they did the right thing...why won't the south?

Careful, dude, that fucks with the narrative.

Well it was put up by the Daughters of the Confederacy to honor Confederate soldiers who died as POWs up here. So not really. The purpose of putting the plaque up was to honor the grand fight for states' rights and the South.

Massachusetts removed it and gave it to a college I believe.

With all the snow Fallon over these statues it’s No wonder the south lost the war

It fucks with the narrative insofar as it shows that a government that honors the confederate dead isn’t necessarily honoring the confederate cause.

They were honoring the confederate cause:

“ It was commissioned in 1963 by the local United Daughters of the Confederacy, a now-defunct group that promoted the idea that the war was not between a pro-slavery South and anti-slavery North, but rather a battle for states’ rights and Confederate culture led by honorable men—a set of beliefs known as the mythology of the lost cause”

They were honoring the confederate cause:

“ It was commissioned in 1963 by the local United Daughters of the Confederacy, a now-defunct group that promoted the idea that the war was not between a pro-slavery South and anti-slavery North, but rather a battle for states’ rights and Confederate culture led by honorable men—a set of beliefs known as the mythology of the lost cause”

careful dude, fucks with the narrative

is arlington in DC?

i'm all for celebrating national heroes with statues, but we're not talking about national heroes, are we?

I’m not sure Junebug understands heroes and villains.

they should knock it over and install a Union soldier with his foot on the neck

That would be perfect to replace Silent Sam. Make it a foot with a Tar Heel.

Who is the beneficiary of the all this honoring with the statues?? That is the first answer we need

there are two...people who built them and those who want to keep blacks in their place.

I’m sure there are white people in Charleston who will have hurt feelings about the Vesey statue and white people in Georgetown who will have hurt feelings about the Tubman statue. That’s life.
Hurt feelings "on both sides", huh? What a crock of shit. Hem and haw all you want - there is an objectively right side to this issue, the side of people who want confederate statues taken down. Analogizing them to hypothetical white people upset about a Harriet Tubman statue is beyond ridiculous.

Who did Harriet Tubman suppress and subjugate?

How in the fucking fuck does her statue hurt anyone’s feelings? Oh yeah, free labor to build all the buildings and farms in the south that the pussy-ass skinny-armed white boys couldn’t build that must be honored by statues

I think Junebug is saying some white people would be offended because they think Harriet Tubman stole their ancestors' property.

yea, i mean has anyone charged the criminal mastermind Harriet Tubman for her accessory in countless thefts of property? and you want to put up a statue? tsk tsk

Who is the beneficiary of the all this honoring with the statues?? That is the first answer we need

Yep. Given that everyone who fought in the Civil War is long since dead and gone, the argument that the statues and memorials need to be left up to "honor their memory" doesn't really work, as no one is living who would directly appreciate it. As for the argument that the same could be said for Revolutionary War statues or World War memorials, I don't believe the USA was explicitly founded for the express purpose to defend and promote slavery. Yes, many of the Founding Fathers were slaveowners, but that is not the reason why they declared independence or fought the British. The World War statues are even less relevant to the conversation.

One would think, in this day and age, that requiring thousands of black students, faculty, staff, and visitors to regularly walk by a statue on public, campus grounds, with "CSA" prominently displayed, and dedicated to the Confederacy - and given that one of the primary dedication speakers in 1913 graphically bragged about whipping a black woman, and praised the contribution of Confederate veterans in the Reconstruction South to "preserving Anglo-Saxon culture" - would be ample cause for the statue's removal to a museum or less prominent spot. Apparently, though, even in the 21st Century there are still those who are willing and eager to offer no end of justifications and excuses to keep those things up, no matter how obviously racist or historically blind or offensive to an increasingly diverse population they are. I do think their days are numbered, though, except maybe for the ones in some small towns and rural areas.

Last edited:
This whole situation astounds me.

There cannot be ANYONE who thinks that a statue to this man on a state university campus is a good idea.

This whole situation astounds me.

There cannot be ANYONE who thinks that a statue to this man on a state university campus is a good idea.

Well, he's not really anyone in particular.

Back