• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

Yeah, fuck this shit. Glad the interim chancellor who is gunning for the permanent job offered up his thanks right as they sneaked this through. Fuck this place, fuck Guskiewicz, fuck Roper, fuck Folt and Spellings and most who came before them, fuck the BOG. This shit is dirty.

"Dear Carolina Community,

Today the UNC System announced that they have reached a settlement agreement regarding the final disposition of the Confederate Monument. This means Silent Sam will never return to our campus. I offer my deepest appreciation to Interim President Bill Roper, UNC Board of Governors Chair Randy Ramsey and members of the UNC Board of Governors – particularly Darrell Allison, Jim Holmes, Wendy Murphy, Anna Nelson and Bob Rucho – for resolving this matter.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Guskiewicz
Interim Chancellor"
That’s like way worse than having the statue on campus.

https://indyweek.com/news/voices/how-i-became-part-of-the-silent-sam-story/

How I Became Part of the Silent Sam Story
BY T. GREG DOUCETTE DEC. 17, 2019 5:00 A.M.

In the spring, when the INDY offered to let me write an occasional opinion column, it seemed like a cool opportunity to talk about the (many) systemic failures of our justice system. I imagined what would basically be a longer version of what I was already doing most days on Twitter. But I never imagined I’d end up as part of a story.

On December 1, as I was sitting down to eat dinner while cat-sitting for my significant other, I got a call from a reporter with The Daily Tar Heel.

“What do you think of the specific terms of this consent judgment?”

He was referring to a settlement that the UNC System’s public-relations flacks had announced the Wednesday before Thanksgiving—deliberately timed to minimize media coverage—giving the North Carolina division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans the toppled statue known as Silent Sam, plus an extra $2.5 million in education money to build a Mausoleum and Klubhouse for it.

A member of the SCV—the group getting $2.5 million—sent me the text from a lengthy email Stone distributed the day the settlement was announced, gloating about how he had worked with legislators and judges to engineer this sort of outcome even though everyone knew their lawsuit was garbage. So I tweeted that, too. A reporter suggested converting it to a PDF since it was so long. So I did, and uploaded it to Dropbox. Then the SCV filed a fraudulent complaint under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, claiming it owned the copyright to the email—shutting down my ability to share things on Dropbox, but also confirming the authenticity of the contents.

I demanded the SCV use the $2.5 million to set up a scholarship fund for black students, or I’d sue the organization for violating the DMCA.

Then, I did.

No doubt Trump and Republicans will raise hell over this, but I'm all for it. These bases should never have been named for Confederate "heroes" to begin with, given that they rebelled against the government and military that built the bases and killed hundreds of thousands of US Army troops, and fought for slavery.

Even putting aside the issue of his being a Confederate and slaveowner, I've never understood why Ft. Bragg was named after Braxton Bragg to begin with. He is widely regarded as one of the worst generals on either side in the Civil War. He argued incessantly with his subordinates who mostly loathed him and couldn't get along with almost anyone, his battle tactics - which consisted of frequently launching crude frontal assaults - led to appalling casualties (for example, at the Battle of Stones River about one-third of his entire army was killed or wounded), and he lost every major battle he led except for Chickamauga, which he won only because of the arrival of reinforcements from Lee's Army in Virginia led by one his best generals, James Longstreet. And Bragg wasted the victory and was defeated by Grant at Chattanooga a few months later. Even just using his military record he was a terrible general, yet one of the biggest military bases in the U.S. was named after him. So for changing the name of Ft. Bragg to something else - good riddance.

Last edited:
The Phillies AAA minor league affiliate used to be called the Red Barons. To my knowledge, that's the only instance of something being named after an enemy combatant outside of the Civil War stuff.

The Phillies AAA minor league affiliate used to be called the Red Barons. To my knowledge, that's the only instance of something being named after an enemy combatant outside of the Civil War stuff.

other than native americans

no Redcoats out there?

The Toronto Clever Girls.

Also release the Seattle NHL team.

Back