• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

I guess it's the only way these people may get the message, although a lot of my archive's work is funded right now on a Mellon -- pays for a lot of positions and projects we are currently involved with, so it could end up affecting a lot of our stuff and staff in the future, good people doing good things for good reasons. Sadly, I don't think they will learn anything from this mess. This world is fucked, man. Fucked. Happy Friday. Peace.

I guess it's the only way these people may get the message, although a lot of my archive's work is funded right now on a Mellon -- pays for a lot of positions and projects we are currently involved with, so it could end up affecting a lot of our stuff and staff in the future, good people doing good things for good reasons. Sadly, I don't think they will learn anything from this mess. This world is fucked, man. Fucked. Happy Friday. Peace.

This doesn't change any current funding from Mellon, they just withdrew the offer for the following grant:

Mellon's $1.5 million grant, according to foundation spokesperson Laura Washington had been in development since the spring to "support a campus-wide educational reckoning focusing on historical truth-telling and confronting the University’s entanglements with slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and memorialization of the Confederacy."

i think he means the potential for people to get money/jobs that have nothing to do with this issue

Sure but the Foundation isn’t cutting off support to the university wholesale. Just withdrawing a grant they felt the recipient demonstrated they were unworthy of.

According to that article, the grant was specifically for a particular "truth-telling" project about the legacy of slavery, racism, and Jim Crow. Probably has something to do with it.

Wait. That guy out smarted the UNC BOT? Wow. Just wow. What a total cluster....

Love the clueless comment from this SCV member in the article:

One member said he joined the SCV within the last decade after learning about his family tree and gaining a newfound appreciation for his Confederate ancestors. But he described an increasingly “scary” presence within the group in the time since...“I do not like Nazis,” he said. “My uncle and my great grandpa went over there to kill Nazis. I don’t like none of that crap, and some of these guys, for some reason, that draws them to something.”

Gee, I wonder what it could be that would draw members of a pro-Confederate "heritage" group to Neo-Nazis? LOL.

How did that guy’s uncle and great grandfather both fight In WW2?

The lawyer who represented the SCV against UNC-CH went to Wake. Just sayin’. Maybe game was trying to embarrass the school and the BOT.

Back