• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Down Goes Silent Sam

c2e84424f98c97dbf8bdf265bb9b9582.jpg

Yay! Vandalism!

Lawlessness should not be rewarded or celebrated by the adults in the room. Think of the valuable civics lesson these students would have learned if they had continued to use lawful means—like non-violent protests, letters, appearances at meetings, etc.—to have the statute removed lawfully, which it would have been eventually. Instead, their victory is cheapened, and they learned that the means—even if unlawful—always justify the end. And you celebrate it. For shame.

Lol what a nerd

I don’t condone vandalism, but the response from Raleigh was laws to protect confederate statues, so maybe people felt like this was the best solution.

Some juvenile responses on here. Those statues don't belong on college campuses or on the lawns of public buildings. They belong in the old cemeteries, and private funds can be raised to move them there. However, vandalism should never be celebrated, as the Confederacy should not be memorialized or celebrated on public grounds utilized for government administration, the judiciary or education.

vandalism of confederate monuments is fine. down with the traitors, up with the Stars

But it was patriotic when some drunk white dudes dressed up like Native Americans, boarded boats, and threw tea overboard and called it a party.

I don’t remember anybody saying Iraqis shouldn’t celebrate vandalism when statues of Saddam came down. I don’t remember people saying East Germans shouldn’t vandalize the Berlin Wall.

This nation fought wars for freedom. And you all are mad about knocking down a statue just because it wasn’t your political team that did it.

Last edited:
But it was patriotic when some drunk white dudes dressed up like Native Americans, boarded boats, and threw tea overboard and called it a party.

I don’t remember anybody saying Iraqis shouldn’t celebrate vandalism when statues of Saddam came down. I don’t remember people saying East Germans shouldn’t vandalize the Berlin Wall.

This nation fought wars for freedom. And you all are mad about knocking down a statue just because it wasn’t your political team that did it.

Anything is okay if you're for lower taxes.

vandalism of these statues is just an illustration of how a representative democracy fails even at the lowest, simplest levels. if they system worked, there would be a legal solution. instead, a bunch of dumb fuck OWGs just block up the system

“Nerd”?

My apologies for lumping you in with the other “adults.”

Nope. I'm trying understand the people's actions.

Arrest the people who were involved and put them in jail. Maybe then, more people will decide to vote and we can get better representatives and better laws.

Yay! Vandalism!

Lawlessness should not be rewarded or celebrated by the adults in the room. Think of the valuable civics lesson these students would have learned if they had continued to use lawful means—like non-violent protests, letters, appearances at meetings, etc.—to have the statute removed lawfully, which it would have been eventually. Instead, their victory is cheapened, and they learned that the means—even if unlawful—always justify the end. And you celebrate it. For shame.

I understand the point you’re making here, but out of my own personal curiosity...What’s your opinion on civil disobedience? Think MLK and Ghandi should’ve used only lawful means to effect change? I’m not trying to bait here, either. Honest question.

Nope. I'm trying understand the people's actions.

Arrest the people who were involved and put them in jail. Maybe then, more people will decide to vote and we can get better representatives and better laws.

Sorry but this is exactly what we should NOT do. Brangus can neg rep me all he wants for calling someone a nerd. Calling someone a nerd doesn't contribute to mass incarceration. The response from Junebug and liberals that believe in law and order over racial and economic justice can be traced back to the civil rights movement and the rise of mass incarceration.

vandalism of these statues is just an illustration of how a representative democracy fails even at the lowest, simplest levels. if they system worked, there would be a legal solution. instead, a bunch of dumb fuck OWGs just block up the system

Just curious: what is the age cutoff between a WG and an OWG?

Sorry but this is exactly what we should NOT do. Brangus can neg rep me all he wants for calling someone a nerd. Calling someone a nerd doesn't contribute to mass incarceration. The response from Junebug and liberals that believe in law and order over racial and economic justice can be traced back to the civil rights movement and the rise of mass incarceration.

I'm not fan of mass incarceration either. But, I believe we're in a society that's being governed by the minority because the majority doesn't vote. I wonder how many people involved in the protest last night voted in the state elections. I bet if a larger percentage of them and the rest of the state voted, we could get different laws and fewer confederate statues.

As MLKJr said, "A riot is the language of the unheard." I can't condone or support lawlessness or destruction of public property. At the same time, I'm smart enough to know that this was entirely predictable based on the obstinacy of the NCGA in keeping these monuments up in places where large majorities of the local population want them to come down. Probably 75% of the population of Chapel Hill wants the monument down, make that 90% when the students are in town, but the old white guys running the state from their strongholds in Rockingham County won't let it happen. Under those conditions it is hard to explain to people how democracy and due process are working. Nonetheless I think there were other tactics that could have been used to put pressure on UNC and the state short of mob violence.

Nonetheless I think there were other tactics that could have been used to put pressure on UNC and the state short of mob violence.

Sure there are other tactics. But it's obvious they wouldn't have made any difference, which is why people resort to lawlessness.

Back