• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Q anon

fear is a prime mover

these are some seriously scared people

Fear and self loathing. I know one or two people who have fallen down into the hole, and they both suffer from mental illness/depression along with other psychological maladies.

can someone explain to me like i'm a child how Facebook and Zuckerberg are or are not complicit in this?

I don't have a strong enough grasp of the issues and laws and ideologies at play here, but Zuck seems to cry free speech more than any other platform and also caught up in more bullshit than twitter et al

Similar to juice I don’t know enough...BUT “free speech” doesn’t seem like the real issue here. Seems like Facebook could cut down on this shit if they wanted to, they just don’t want to and are using “free speech” as a cop out. To paraphrase Jordan, conspiracy suckers buy shoes too. And they’re probably even more lucrative than normal users since they’re addicted to this shit and they’ll click on anything.

...I also watched the social media app episode of black mirror last night so that doesn’t help.

Social media companies will act responsibly when/if they're held accountable by their users or companies marketing on their site. The same people complaining about them are still using their platforms every day. Controversy is great for the companies in that case...free publicity and increased views.

I wouldn't waste any time worrying about Facebook. You can take away the chosen platform, and they'll go somewhere else. That literally already happened on this very subject. The dangerous misinformation is the issue.

disagree that platform doesn't matter

email chain forwarding spread disinformation, but at a much slower rate to a narrower group of people

Good point. I can see how Facebook makes spreading this lunacy easier and more effective. But I'm still way more concerned with the underlying issues that allow something like this to take hold. The society is sick, and the flip side of a platform like Facebook is we can see the disease out in the open, and hopefully address it.

Freedom of speech vs freedom of reach. You clamp down on the reach instead of the speech. There have always been fringey dangerous ideas, but now the issue is how well the algorithms serve up that content to people who are only tangentially interested and how easy it makes it to jump down the rabbit hole and be a convert

Good point. I can see how Facebook makes spreading this lunacy easier and more effective. But I'm still way more concerned with the underlying issues that allow something like this to take hold. The society is sick, and the flip side of a platform like Facebook is we can see the disease out in the open, and hopefully address it.

The assault on the legitimacy of the “mainstream media” is really at the core of this problem. Conspiracies and misinformation have always been there but we used to have trusted resources to cross check and reference against. Since the late 90’s the right has relentlessly undermined the legitimacy of new organization that people no longer know who to trust or what is real. They have simultaneously but a little less systematically attacked and undermined the reverence for expertise we used to have

They’re assaulting anything that gets in the way of their aims. Information, knowledge, expertise. All are threats.

Fear and self loathing. I know one or two people who have fallen down into the hole, and they both suffer from mental illness/depression along with other psychological maladies.

I've posted this before, but as I've gotten older I have gradually become convinced that the number of people in this country with significant mental and/or emotional illness or instability is far higher than is commonly believed. And most of these people are untreated. And it's not just the blind worship of Trump and rise of Qanon and stuff like that which led me to this conclusion, although it's certainly helped.

Last edited:

Given how consistently they are projecting, I am starting to wonder if we should be worried that they are so stuck on pedophiles.

lol

Americans are so fucking dumb, sigh.

Back