• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NFL Season ends: Patriots win Superbowl!

But they could do alternating possessions like college.

Sure, but that's sort of like doing penalty kicks in soccer. Not really the core of the game.

While 'fairness' is great in concept, it would only take a 103-102 game that last's 6 hours for that to look bad.

Having stayed up until 2am to watch a 5 ot hockey game, or even the Red Sox/Dodgers 18 inning WS game, longer is not the best way to go.

My idea would be this. 1st OT is a 15 min qtr. Win the qtr you win the game. If tied the game continues into sudden death in a 2nd ot qtr. It would make ot longer but changes the strategy for the 1st OT quarter and get rid of the nonsense of the more complex scoring rules (i.e. TD wins, FG doesn't etc).

And if you really want it to be as fair as possible. No coin flip in OT. Treat it as the start of another 'half'.

How is alternating possessions not the core of the game? That’s how the game works until OT rules kick in. One team gets the ball. If they score, the other team gets the ball and then the other team gets the ball and so forth and so on. Play like normal until one team has more points after both teams have an equal number of possessions or the clock hits 0:00.

I would really like to hear why in the NFC game the non-PI call was also a non-review for helmet to helmet contact. Looked like the hit was helmet to helmet by the Rams DB.

I don't believe helmet to helmet is reviewable in the NFL unlike targeting is in college football. In college football this past season, I noticed for the first time that even though targeting wasn't called on the field, the replay official could "buzz down" to the refs on the field and have them review it. I really think that it should be considered in the offseason that every call could be reviewable. I know it could possibly mean 5+ hour games, but a lot of these older officials can't keep up with the speed of the game. Also, the most important thing to me is to get the call right, particularly a call like that which has a HUGE impact on the outcome of the game.

How is alternating possessions not the core of the game?.

I'm guessing the point was he didn't like the offense dropped just outside of the red zone like how college does it (know you weren't necc saying that part should be replicated)

Last edited:
I would really like to hear why in the NFC game the non-PI call was also a non-review for helmet to helmet contact. Looked like the hit was helmet to helmet by the Rams DB.

Because helmet to helmet is non reviewable in the NFL.

Sure, but that's sort of like doing penalty kicks in soccer. Not really the core of the game.

While 'fairness' is great in concept, it would only take a 103-102 game that last's 6 hours for that to look bad.

Having stayed up until 2am to watch a 5 ot hockey game, or even the Red Sox/Dodgers 18 inning WS game, longer is not the best way to go.

My idea would be this. 1st OT is a 15 min qtr. Win the qtr you win the game. If tied the game continues into sudden death in a 2nd ot qtr. It would make ot longer but changes the strategy for the 1st OT quarter and get rid of the nonsense of the more complex scoring rules (i.e. TD wins, FG doesn't etc).

And if you really want it to be as fair as possible. No coin flip in OT. Treat it as the start of another 'half'.

Then how would you decide who gets the ball first in OT?

I like the rest of your suggestion.

But maybe they should go to penalty kicks. Start at the 25 yard line and have each team try to kick a field goal. Then move back 10 yards after every made kick, first team to miss loses. It would bring the "foot" back to football.

What a freaking bummer. On the bright side, this is a pretty nice excuse to skip the Super Bowl and get those five hours of my life back. We can just eat trash food and drink too many beers while watching an Indiana Jones rerun on TNT instead.

The rest of the AFC should just pack it up until Brady and Belichick hang it up

Sony Michel injected about 2-3 extra seasons of life into the Pats.

NFL refs are worse than Little League umps. Terrible calls were instrumental in each game that were grossly wrong. It's a disgrace.

Then how would you decide who gets the ball first in OT?

I like the rest of your suggestion.

But maybe they should go to penalty kicks. Start at the 25 yard line and have each team try to kick a field goal. Then move back 10 yards after every made kick, first team to miss loses. It would bring the "foot" back to football.

Home team should get the ball first. Another reward for having higher seed.

Needs to be a ground-and-pound game. 50 carries a piece for Sony and Gurley. Maybe bring Malcolm Mitchell and his one knee back for some orbit sweeps.

Sony vs Gurley will be a great match up of former teammates.
I'm sure they'll be doing some talking during the next 2 weeks.

Sony vs Gurley will be a great match up of former teammates.
I'm sure they'll be doing some talking during the next 2 weeks.

Anderson has been getting more carries recently. Add to that Gurley dropped 2 passes, 1 causing a pick. Is Gurley more hurt than LAR is letting on?

Home team should get the ball first. Another reward for having higher seed.

I’m liking the idea of OT as extra time. Just keep playing another 10 minutes. The transition to OT should be like going from the 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th quarters. And play the whole 10 minutes.

I’m liking the idea of OT as extra time. Just keep playing another 10 minutes. The transition to OT should be like going from the 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 4th quarters. And play the whole 10 minutes.

Then you'd lose the late-game enjoyment factor of a team in a tie game with a minute or two left trying to race it down the field and throwing Hail Marys. Anything under two minutes in a tie game and they would be playing for OT. While that might make more sense, it wouldn't be as much fun to watch.

interesting - so if the game is tied, and you are at the opponent's 45 with 0:02 to play, you can attempt a 63-yard FG for the win, but if you miss, your opponent starts OT at your 47

I don't hate that idea

Then you'd lose the late-game enjoyment factor of a team in a tie game with a minute or two left trying to race it down the field and throwing Hail Marys. Anything under two minutes in a tie game and they would be playing for OT. While that might make more sense, it wouldn't be as much fun to watch.

Some coaches would play for OT but that’s true already.

Under this system, a team with 1st and 10 from the 50 with 7 seconds left could attempt a Hail Mary and the defense would try to get a pick instead of knocking it down. If it’s just an incompletion, then the team could just run a regular 2nd down play.

Some coaches would play for OT but that’s true already.

Under this system, a team with 1st and 10 from the 50 with 7 seconds left could attempt a Hail Mary and the defense would try to get a pick instead of knocking it down. If it’s just an incompletion, then the team could just run a regular 2nd down play.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why in the world would a team try a Hail Mary in that scenario? Wouldn't you just keep playing normally? Also why would a team attempt a 63 yard field goal as time expires? Any of those exciting plays at the end of a tie game disappears if I'm understanding your proposal correctly.

Back