• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NFL Season ends: Patriots win Superbowl!

Speaking of neckbeard Jesus, how good are the Colts gonna be next year with the most cap space in the league this offseason? They don't really seem to have any huge holes at the moment. Fantastic rebuild going on there

Yeah no chance the Pats lose at home. The world's only hope is KC not blowing it against neckbeard Jesus.

I'd argue the Chargers were the best AFC team the 2nd half of the season. Add to that Gronk looks done, and the Pats are missing Gordon, who was their best WR while he was eligible. I know Belichick is the best HC, and the Pats won't turn it over or hurt themselves with penalties - you gotta beat them. But this team looks more beatable than the last several seasons. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see LAC win.

Speaking of the Pats, Gronk is likely to retire, and they need a weapon in the passing game. The ESPN guys this morning were saying they think it's more likely than not that AB will be traded by Pitt, despite the $21mil cap hit. Belichick has pulled this off before, getting guys like Gordon and Moss. I'd think Colbert would rather trade him to the NFC - SF in particular would make a lot of sense. But I'm just thinking that Belichick needs an offensive weapon, and OBJ and AB might be available.

The Pats should be and are favored.

They went unbeaten at home this year (only team in the NFL to do that), and they haven't lost a home playoff game since a January 2013 loss to the Ravens (winning 7 straight playoff games in Foxboro). So, pretty safe thinking the Patriots aren't going to lose to the Chargers this weekend.

That said, the Chargers are better than the Pats. They have a better season record against a tougher schedule, and the Chargers have already won at Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Cleveland. This Patriots team is more flawed than any in recent memory. Given their respective histories, got to expect Brady to find a way to eek out a win over Rivers, in some excruciating fashion, but a Charger win is more possible than it has ever been since Rivers and Brady have led their respective teams.

BTW, in the unlikely event that the Chargers, Colts, Rams and Eagles all win, LA would host both the AFC and NFC championships games. If that happens, one of the two games will be played on Monday night. That would be kind of cool (the same thing would happen if the both the Jets and Giants hosted conference championship games).

Last edited:
I'd argue the Chargers were the best AFC team the 2nd half of the season. Add to that Gronk looks done, and the Pats are missing Gordon, who was their best WR while he was eligible. I know Belichick is the best HC, and the Pats won't turn it over or hurt themselves with penalties - you gotta beat them. But this team looks more beatable than the last several seasons. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see LAC win.

Speaking of the Pats, Gronk is likely to retire, and they need a weapon in the passing game. The ESPN guys this morning were saying they think it's more likely than not that AB will be traded by Pitt, despite the $21mil cap hit. Belichick has pulled this off before, getting guys like Gordon and Moss. I'd think Colbert would rather trade him to the NFC - SF in particular would make a lot of sense. But I'm just thinking that Belichick needs an offensive weapon, and OBJ and AB might be available.

Could be the off-season they try to rebuild their offense. Brady is essentially done and there's no obvious offensive threat to build the offense around. The RBs are serviceable but they need a new QB, TE and a deep threat WR. I don't think a big name WR is the right answer as they're not necessarily going to be getting better service than they seem to be complaining about in their present situations. I do wonder how long Belichick will keep going. Would he want to prove himself again post-Brady?

Could be the off-season they try to rebuild their offense. Brady is essentially done and there's no obvious offensive threat to build the offense around. The RBs are serviceable but they need a new QB, TE and a deep threat WR. I don't think a big name WR is the right answer as they're not necessarily going to be getting better service than they seem to be complaining about in their present situations. I do wonder how long Belichick will keep going. Would he want to prove himself again post-Brady?

Brady has dropped off some, but he still looks far less done than Gronk. Still think he plays another season or 2. And even if they are in the QB market, who are they gonna get? Haskins will be long gone. Maybe Lock if he's still around in the late 2nd. Foles or Flacco? I'm thinking Flacco ends up in Jax. Total rebuild with Tannehill and then maybe a young guy in a much deeper QB draft next year? I just don't see it given their options. I think they stick with Brady for another year or 2 and try to land OBJ or AB.

Brady has dropped off some, but he still looks far less done than Gronk. Still think he plays another season or 2. And even if they are in the QB market, who are they gonna get? Haskins will be long gone. Maybe Lock if he's still around in the late 2nd. Foles or Flacco? I'm thinking Flacco ends up in Jax. Total rebuild with Tannehill and then maybe a young guy in a much deeper QB draft next year? I just don't see it given their options. I think they stick with Brady for another year or 2 and try to land OBJ or AB.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say Brady is currently an issue, but I think he's been a half step off this year (which at 41 is reasonable) and I think he could drop off pretty quickly. No idea where they turn to from here. I'm not sure a rookie would fit into Belichick's offense, but a Flacco or Foles certainly could while a hand picked successor develops for couple years. But you're not bringing either of those two in before Brady announces he's retiring. Tough scenario to plan out...I guess bringing in the WR does make sense, though if Brady doesn't perform next season you're in a bit of a mess with cap space and keeping them happy.

BTW, in the unlikely event that the Chargers, Colts, Rams and Eagles all win, LA would host both the AFC and NFC championships games. If that happens, one of the two games will be played on Monday night. That would be kind of cool (the same thing would happen if the both the Jets and Giants hosted conference championship games).

Has that been said anywhere? It's not the same field and the games are at 3 PM and 6:30 PM ET, so there's no need to play them on different days for those reasons

Has that been said anywhere? It's not the same field and the games are at 3 PM and 6:30 PM ET, so there's no need to play them on different days for those reasons

Was thinking the same thing - seems like they would not be any need to have them on different days

I believe the Chargers took it to the Pats for one half @ New England in a playoff game a decade ago. I am no Phillip Rivers fan, but I do respect the shit out of him with that weird pigeon wing throwing motion.

If memory serves, the Chargers were ahead at half but at some point right before halftime, Rivers blew out his ACL. He came back out and played the entire second half that he was totally immobile. He was not diagnosed with the ACL tear until later after the game. Huge cahunas. And Rivers was back by camp. I think he had a 6-month ACL rehab. Kids will do that, I supposed - got to get out the fucking house, man. I think I'm ready to go!

Rivers has been in the NFL for 15 years and has made the playoffs about five times. For most of that time, he had a HOF TE. He also had a HOF RB for several years.

Every time he loses, he blames everyone but himself.

Rivers was injured the week before the '07 season game vs. the Pats. He played with a torn ACL

Rivers was injured the week before the '07 season game vs. the Pats. He played with a torn ACL

I misremembered. Still. Huge balls. I do remember him hopping around on an ACL tear and having torn both ACLs, it was a hard game to watch. I kept thinking his knee was going to explode. I had to wait years for that game to happen. What the Red team from Washington did to RG3.

Bruce Arians with Todd Bowles to the Bucs.... I don't like that one bit as a Panthers fan

Yeah, no bueno. Will give them a legitimacy they haven't had for a decade

although it is weird that Bruce would choose to work with Jameis of all the open gigs

Besides being a (semi) Colts fan, I'm secretly hoping to see a Chargers/Colts AFC Championship game just to see the spectacle of a conference title game in a 27,000 seat venue. At least the Chargers would have the majority of the fans in that scenario, unlike a matchup against 75% of the league.

Back