• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NFL Season ends: Patriots win Superbowl!

I think the small sample size nature of the NFL makes it tough to be too predictive going into Week 7. Of last year's final four teams, only Philadelphia got off to a real strong start. And it's not like the NBA: any top half team can beat any other team in a one game playoff. Lots of teams with just good enough regular seasons have won the Super Bowl in recent memory.

And it's an offense league more than ever, so a team like New Orleans can win it all with a mediocre to bad defense.

Last edited:
I think the small sample size nature of the NFL makes it tough to be too predictive going into Week 7. Of last year's final four teams, only Philadelphia got off to a real strong start. And it's not like the NBA: any top half team can beat any other team in a one game playoff. Lots of teams with just good enough regular seasons have won the Super Bowl in recent memory.

And it's an offense league more than ever, so a team like New Orleans can win it all with a mediocre to bad defense.

Agreed on the small sample size of the NFL.

The top five teams from week six last year were: Chiefs (WC), Eagles (Champs), Steelers (Div), Rams (WC), Texans (Missed). Pats were 15th because they had the worst defense in the league through six weeks.

Agreed on the small sample size of the NFL.

The top five teams from week six last year were: Chiefs (WC), Eagles (Champs), Steelers (Div), Rams (WC), Texans (Missed). Pats were 15th because they had the worst defense in the league through six weeks.

Those examples don't seem to make your point. Four of the top 5 teams made the playoffs. The fifth had major injuries.

Yeah that was a poorly connected post. I meant I generally agree that the sample size for the NFL has predictive issues overall through only six weeks then just listed the top five from last year to see if that held true or not.

If teams are top five through six weeks they're likely a playoff team barring injuries.

2016 top 5 through week 6: Vikings, Seahawks, Bills, Eagles, Cowboys

Vikings started 5-0 and missed the playoffs
Seahawks lost in the Divisional
Bills missed the playoffs
Eagles missed the playoffs
Cowboys lost in the Divisional

Can't remember what role (if any) injuries played with those three teams that missed the playoffs.

Jason Garrett was the Cowboys coach and he has long had a severe brain injury. Tragic stuff n

Dude, you act like Eli is the greatest thing since slices bread. Out of curiosity, I looked up the career stats for Rivers, Eli and Ben (who have all had good careers).

Rivers: 64% completion, 52K yards, 7.8 avg, 357 TDs, 169 picks, 95.4 rating
Eli: 60%, 53K, 7.0 avg, 345 TD, 232 picks, 83.7 rating
Ben: 64%, 53K, 7.9 avg, 341 TD, 180 picks, 94 rating

Both Ben and Phillip clearly have better numbers and are still going strong, whereas Eli is pretty much done. Rivers hasn't had the fortune to be on as many good teams as Ben or Eli, but if you ask me who has been the better and more consistent QB, I'd take Phillip over Eli (and I don't like Phillip for obvious reasons and like Eli).

That's fine, so long as you are comfortable with a loser as your QB.

giphy.gif

I'd rather have rings than stats at the most important position in all of sports, but maybe that's just me.

rode the coattails of an ELIte D-line

Twice. But apparently SB rings are the true determiners of QB quality. So guys like Rypien, Dilfer, Plunkett, McMahon, Williams and Hostetler are therefore better than guys like Rivers and Marino.

Denver (-1) up 28-3 early in the 2nd quarter.

Rosen with 2 pick-6s in the first quarter.

Guess I can go to bed early.

This doofus cardinals qb has fumbled like 10 times in the second half. Every pass rush near him knocks the ball free.

Top o the morning from London.
Chargers beat Titans 20-19 in London as Titans 2 pt conversion fails.

Why go for two? Titans were the better team after giving up the early long TD. Take the game to overtime with momentum.

Completely disagree. Dion Lewis was open on the first play but Mariota did not see him.

A two point conversion and OT are both 50/50, right?

I think they're fairly similar, which is why I'd take overtime if I thought I had the better team that day.

What are the odds for the team who wins the toss under the new rules?

Back