• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

I predict the game gets moved to Sat. Not to diminish the potential danger to people, but apart from Katrina and some other monsters these things always seem to do less damage than predicted. If it's just wet and windy this weekend, no reason not to play the game.

I forgot about that ECU game in Raleigh after Floyd. Was pretty epic.

I was there- my Wake roommate was a Miami fan.. it was insane. ECU fans made a mess of the field. NCSU wasn't too pleased afterward. Crazy

I predict the game gets moved to Sat. Not to diminish the potential danger to people, but apart from Katrina and some other monsters these things always seem to do less damage than predicted. If it's just wet and windy this weekend, no reason not to play the game.

So do you expect BC to arrive Thursday morning and miss two days of class so they can ride out the hurricane in a W-S hotel room or do you think they'll fly in Friday during the height of the hurricane or do you think they'll fly in on Saturday morning and fly out after the game that night ?

They're not going to play a game on Wednesday on this short notice from a logistical and safety vantage point.

So do you expect BC to arrive Thursday morning and miss two days of class so they can ride out the hurricane in a W-S hotel room or do you think they'll fly in Friday during the height of the hurricane or do you think they'll fly in on Saturday morning and fly out after the game that night ?

Right - the ACC is also not going to tell BC to fly down into the path of a hurricane on the chance that it's "less damage than predicted." That would be idiotic.

Why wouldn't wednesday night be an option if they made the call today?

That's really not enough time to prepare for a football game without knowing more than 48 hours in advance of the change in gametime.

Campbell and Coastal just flipped their Saturday game to Wednesday and switched who was hosting.

A little less on the line, granted

Although, Campbell and Coastal have moved their game to 2 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon in Buie's Creek. ESPN will have a say on the potential flex options for getting this game in early.

The MAC plays wednesday games pretty much every week of the season, and ESPN has an operation in Charlotte so they should be able to get a camera crew up to Winston pretty easily. I'm sure the commentators could move up their flights. BC, with some difficulty and headache I'm sure, could get here tomorrow night and be ready by wednesday night. If they made the call right now I think it could work. I doubt they do it though.

Although, Campbell and Coastal have moved their game to 2 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon in Buie's Creek. ESPN will have a say on the potential flex options for getting this game in early.

IF (and that's a big "if") player and fan safety is the primary concern, the two teams should consult the experts in weather, logistics and public safety and then make their bilateral decision, followed by a call to ESPN to tell them "here's what we're going to do" *

* insert BWAHAHA here

The MAC plays wednesday games pretty much every week of the season, and ESPN has an operation in Charlotte so they should be able to get a camera crew up to Winston pretty easily. I'm sure the commentators could move up their flights. BC, with some difficulty and headache I'm sure, could get here tomorrow night and be ready by wednesday night. If they made the call right now I think it could work. I doubt they do it though.

Almost all, if not all, of those teams have a bye the prior week so they don’t play Saturday Wednesday.

re: a move to Wednesday:

a college football game with 35,000 spectators is a pretty big event - you don't just snap your fingers and get the necessary public safety help to suddenly appear on short notice

especially when those public safety personnel can reasonably be expected to work multiple double shifts starting the next day due to an incoming possible natural disaster

IF YOU HAVE POWER!

Right - the ACC is also not going to tell BC to fly down into the path of a hurricane on the chance that it's "less damage than predicted." That would be idiotic.

Yeah, that's definitely what I was getting at. They should make BC fly no matter what is happening. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's definitely what I was getting at. They should make BC fly no matter what is happening. :rolleyes:

Well it may not have been the direct point you were trying to make, but if they play the game on Saturday then BC will have to be here by Thursday morning because planes aren't going to get into Winston from Thursday through Saturday. So, yeah for the game to take place per your suggestion then BC would have to fly down into the path of a hurricane and/or fly/drive in during a hurricane.

Those are some serious assumptions this far out. I'm thinking it's going to end up well east of the current track (closer to Morehead City/Hatteras) and the central/western parts of the state will be relatively spared.

ETA: @sportsnut's post

Would be interested to hear your meterololgical explanation as to why you think this? It is always possible, as is any track, but no model I have seen (or reputable forecaster) has predicted this. Unless the high to the North moves MUCH faster than predicted, or is MUCH weaker than predicted, the steering currents will not allow it to come up that far

I think they should just move the game to Sunday afternoon. BC will be able to charter a plane and fly down on Saturday and back on Sunday evening. The rains should stop by then and any lost power likely restored. Moving the game to Boston would be stupid.

I think they should just move the game to Sunday afternoon. BC will be able to charter a plane and fly down on Saturday and back on Sunday evening. The rains should stop by then and any lost power likely restored. Moving the game to Boston would be stupid.

This would be alright with me.

Would be interested to hear your meterololgical explanation as to why you think this? It is always possible, as is any track, but no model I have seen (or reputable forecaster) has predicted this. Unless the high to the North moves MUCH faster than predicted, or is MUCH weaker than predicted, the steering currents will not allow it to come up that far

Models already trending somewhat east. Seemingly every storm I can remember trending NE before or at landfall.

This is already unprecedented though, as no strong hurricane (or hurricane in general I think) has made landfall from as far north as Florence already is.

it amuses me that whenever extreme weather events are in the forecast, suddenly every fucking rube thinks they're a meteorologist

Back