• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

Weekend cancellations starting to roll in. UNC-UCF, State-WVU. I will hate it if State can’t reschedule... wanted them to face the Mountain-Griers.

5:30 will present some unique traffic problems with Pepsi, Hanes and others letting out around then and creating a massive traffic jam possibly. Still, probably the safest and most reasonable solution

Then start your tailgates earlier. :)

Looks like the Thursday game should actually benefit the Deacs (especially if it’s a W). Cancelling the game would have led to major headaches.

And just like that RW redeems himself for the [name redacted] years. His legacy is now intact.

Weekend cancellations starting to roll in. UNC-UCF, State-WVU. I will hate it if State can’t reschedule... wanted them to face the Mountain-Griers.

UCF had their P5 game against Tech cancelled last year. They do get Pitt at home in 2 weeks.

BC is going to be stuck in Winston through the weekend.

I am in the this is a bad decision camp. I think this show a callousness towards fan, player and officials safety. I am clearly more biased as an eastern NC resident, but hurricane forecasting in wrought with error. Making this decision today, with the range of outcomes that are on the table seems to be downright irresponsible. I hope the Athletic Dept gets lucky and this is a non-event, but this is poor decision making from my view. But let's be clear, they are making a gamble on this decision. Why gamble here, downside is not worth the upside?

I also think it is hilarious that the WF is considering cancelling classes on Thursday (just tweeted via Wake alert system), not sure how they will be able to justify cancelling classes when they are holding a football game at 5:30 pm on Thursday.

Well, I'm not going to be able to go. I have 4 tickets (two on row EE and two further up) and a blue lot pass in Section 3. If anyone wants to buy them they are on sale.

I am in the this is a bad decision camp. I think this show a callousness towards fan, player and officials safety. I am clearly more biased as an eastern NC resident, but hurricane forecasting in wrought with error. Making this decision today, with the range of outcomes that are on the table seems to be downright irresponsible. I hope the Athletic Dept gets lucky and this is a non-event, but this is poor decision making from my view. But let's be clear, they are making a gamble on this decision. Why gamble here, downside is not worth the upside?

I also think it is hilarious that the WF is considering cancelling classes on Thursday (just tweeted via Wake alert system), not sure how they will be able to justify cancelling classes when they are holding a football game at 5:30 pm on Thursday.

the decision is not necessarily final

they moved it up hoping to play the game; if the hurricane speeds up they will no doubt cancel the game

From the ACC:

The league office, Boston College and Wake Forest will continue to monitor Hurricane Florence and make future adjustments as necessary.

Game will start as scheduled.

Have many ties to eastern NC and have experiences with weather there. This game, scheduled to be played in the upper Piedmont, will be played Thursday.

Last edited:
the decision is not necessarily final

they moved it up hoping to play the game; if the hurricane speeds up they will no doubt cancel the game

From the ACC:

The league office, Boston College and Wake Forest will continue to monitor Hurricane Florence and make future adjustments as necessary.

fair enough, but flying BC down here isn't a good decision. If they make it a go, no go decision at that point fine. But I think Les presented a better alternative.

Warmups could be shortened, no national anthem, start game at 4:45 PM.

fair enough, but flying BC down here isn't a good decision. If they make it a go, no go decision at that point fine. But I think Les presented a better alternative.

I think what they have done is draw the line in the sand. Others (like me) were hoping for a possible noon start on Thursday; now that has been ruled out

The game will happen at 5:30 and probably no sooner (thanks, ESPN), and there is probably a go, no-go decision at the time BC boards the plane tomorrow

My opinion is that if by tomorrow at this time (about the time BC needs to know whether to fly), the forecast has not changed at all, the game will be postponed and not played at all this weekend

I think if the forecast had not slowed slightly overnight (bumping the storm's arrival to landfall Friday morning) that the game would have either been cancelled. As is, i think this is a fine decision so long as the storm does not speed back up. BC will be able to get out of dodge before the major part of the storm hits the area. Those in the Eastern part of the state who have tickets to Wake games may as well board up and then head to Winston - you're going away from the storm and there will be widespread flooding across large portions of the state. No reason to stick around in Fayetteville or east of Raleigh and get stuck in a storm.

I do see that tropical storm force winds could reasonably hit Winston early Thursday afternoon. If that's the case BC isn't going to fly down because they wouldn't get home.

If you are speaking of the idea to do a Wake/BC/FSU juggle, Les later came out and said it wouldn't work because the FSU/Wake game is FSU's homecoming with too much stuff already locked in.

Back