• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

I do see that tropical storm force winds could reasonably hit Winston early Thursday afternoon. If that's the case BC isn't going to fly down because they wouldn't get home.

Bus to Roanoke and fly out of there - assuming they are doing a charter.

The decision maker is ESPN $$$.

and, WF really wants to play this game. it would suck to not get to play this game.

(noon Thursday would be better and I suspect ESPN is the reason that is not happening)

tumblr_ly2syqYKgT1qc4v9ro1_500.gif

and, WF really wants to play this game. it would suck to not get to play this game.

(noon Thursday would be better and I suspect ESPN is the reason that is not happening)

Unless there's evidence to this point I doubt it. 5:30 is so much easier for fans to get to than freakin' noon on a weekday, I'd think Wake would be as invested in keeping it after working hours (if not moreso) as ESPN

Unless there's evidence to this point I doubt it. 5:30 is so much easier for fans to get to than freakin' noon on a weekday, I'd think Wake would be as invested in keeping it after working hours (if not moreso) as ESPN

NObodyatthegameON start would've stunk.

perhaps, although I don't suspect a lot of work or school or much of anything is happening in central North Carolina this Thursday

landfall means the eye -- the middle of the storm -- coming ashore.

No it does not. It means the first high winds come ashore, which are the ones which cause damage, not the eye. Geez.

No it does not. It means the first high winds come ashore, which are the ones which cause damage, not the eye. Geez.

yes it does

I'll repost this:

The Landfall Fallacy. Now, there is this thing about scientists, even meteorologists. When dealing with time-based phenomena, they need to know when something starts and when it ends, so they can do things like measure when on average certain things start, how long on average they last, etc. Therefore, there has to be an agreed upon point in time when a hurricane starts to exist (this is when the winds reach a certain strength and the cyclonic storm reaches a certain degree of organization, all of which is actually kinda hard to measure but they do it anyway). There is also an agreed upon point at which the hurricane “hits land” … known as landfall. This is when the eye of the hurricane, which is usually still visible on satellite views, on radar, as well as on the ground, crosses the shoreline. That is the arbitrarily decided on moment when scientists say the hurricane is at a certain point in its life cycle.

This does not. Repeat, not. NOT. mean that a hurricane “hits land” or “arrives” or “becomes a problem” or “starts to do damage” on “landfall.” No. The hurricane arrived hours before landfall! The outer bands that brought the beginnings of flooding rain came way before. The occasional tornado spun off by a hurricane may have already done in a neighborhood hours before. The highly damaging winds arrived long ago. The storm surge may have even started to chew up cities, towns, and industrial areas along the coast before the eye wall crosses landward, depending on all sorts of different factors. Hell, it is actually possible for a hurricane to totally mess up a coastal region then move back out to sea with the eye never crossing the coast. No landfall, but big problems. Landfall is not arrival.

From the National Hurricane Center:

"Landfall:

The intersection of the surface center of a tropical cyclone with a coastline. Because the strongest winds in a tropical cyclone are not located precisely at the center, it is possible for a cyclone's strongest winds to be experienced over land even if landfall does not occur. Similarly, it is possible for a tropical cyclone to make landfall and have its strongest winds remain over the water. Compare direct hit, indirect hit, and strike."

Let's move on - not a big deal.

Tropical storm force winds will hit ROA before 8:00 pm, plus the runways are shorter and there are several mountains around the airport. Their charter better have air force pilots

Yeah, and riding up US 220 (or any other alternate route) in a bus in a tropical storm is not my idea of fun either.

Sorry 1977 but got to go with the National Hurricane Center every time for the official def. for landfall, but thanks for the valiant fight. I have never lived in Fla and even knew it was the eye!

Tropical storm force winds will hit ROA before 8:00 pm, plus the runways are shorter and there are several mountains around the airport. Their charter better have air force pilots

All right - I didn't mean it had to be Roanoke - I just semi-randomly picked the first city north of the W-S area. My main point is that they can possibly bus a few hours more out of the storm path and fly out of another airport - that they don't have to fly out of W-S or Greensboro. Hell, they can just bus it all the way back to Boston if needed. Certainly not the most comfortable trip ever, but if the ACC, WF, and BC feel that this is the only logical option to get the game in this season, then they will certainly figure something out.

All right - I didn't mean it had to be Roanoke - I just semi-randomly picked the first city north of the W-S area. My main point is that they can possibly bus a few hours more out of the storm path and fly out of another airport - that they don't have to fly out of W-S or Greensboro. Hell, they can just bus it all the way back to Boston if needed. Certainly not the most comfortable trip ever, but if the ACC, WF, and BC feel that this is the only logical option to get the game in this season, then they will certainly figure something out.

Agreed. There will certainly be a safe way to exit W-S at 9:30 on Thursday evening, even if it isn't the most convenient for BC (bus). And surely BC's convenience isn't a high priority, given the effects several ACC teams will likely face from this storm.

Back