• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

Virginia moved their home game vs. Ohio U to Vanderbilt:

this guy will not be happy if our game is played (I suspect the game will not be played)

He also has a tweet complaining about Eastern North Carolina needing to take care of things at home and not worry about football. If you live in Eastern NC you shouldn't be sticking around the area anyways - pack up and head west, stop in Winston for the game, and keep trucking.

this guy will not be happy if our game is played (I suspect the game will not be played)

So what does he expect us to do? I mean moving the kickoff up due to the weather seems perfectly logical to me.

Bruce Thompson can root for UNC.

The weather in W-S on Thursday will be fine: on Thursday, in W-S, the forecast calls for 81 degree temps, winds less than 10 mph and 20% chance of precip. BC will get in and out of W-S without a hitch. WF and BC reviewed the facts and made an informed decision. There will be fans that can't make the trip because of the change in game time and/or travel concerns from the eastern part of the state, but while that sucks, no one's safety will be threatened by playing the game at 5:30 pm. It simply makes no sense to cancel the game when the weather will be mild in Winston on Thursday night.

Bruce Thompson can root for UNC.

The weather in W-S on Thursday will be fine: on Thursday, in W-S, the forecast calls for 81 degree temps, winds less than 10 mph and 20% chance of precip. BC will get in and out of W-S without a hitch. WF and BC reviewed the facts and made an informed decision. There will be fans that can't make the trip because of the change in game time and/or travel concerns from the eastern part of the state, but while that sucks, no one's safety will be threatened by playing the game at 5:30 pm. It simply makes no sense to cancel the game when the weather will be mild in Winston on Thursday night.

Exactly. And if the forecast gets worse, we can cancel the game.

If that dude is so scared shitless he should get off Twitter and start driving

The current forecast for the game is 82, mostly cloudy, winds 12 mph, and 15% chance of rain. Nobody should be complaining we are playing this game. Hurricane winds won’t get remotely bad in Winston till the next day.

I don't think the current weather forecasts are correctly / fully accounting for Florence in their projections

National Hurricane Center just released the 5:00 pm update

within that update, there is a table showing projected wind impacts by city - Winston-Salem is not in the table, but Greensboro is

if you'd like to view the table, it's here

they note that from 2:00 am - 2:00 pm Thursday, Greensboro has a 6% chance of sustained tropical storm-force winds (39 mph or higher)
from 2:00 pm Thu - 2:00 pm Friday, Greensboro has a 45% chance of those same winds, and a 14% chance of sustained 58 mph winds (and a 2% chance of 74+ mph winds)

NHC updates this table every 6 hours, and by 5:00 am tomorrow will have much more specificity for Thursday

Last edited:
I don't think the current weather forecasts are correctly / fully accounting for Florence in their projections

National Hurricane Center just released the 5:00 pm update

within that update, there is a table showing projected wind impacts by city - Winston-Salem is not in the table, but Greensboro is

if you'd like to view the table, it's here

they note that from 2:00 am - 2:00 pm Thursday, Greensboro has a 6% chance of sustained tropical storm-force winds (39 mph or higher)
from 2:00 pm Thu - 2:00 pm Friday, Greensboro has a 45% chance of those same winds, and a 14% chance of sustained 58 mph winds (and a 2% chance of 74+ mph winds)

NHC updates this table every 6 hours, and by 5:00 am tomorrow will have much more specificity for Thursday

See below. They think it would be closer to Friday at 8 AM than Thursday at 8 PM.

152311_most_likely_toa_no_wsp_34.png

See below. They think it would be much closer to Friday at 8 AM than Thursday at 8 PM.

152311_most_likely_toa_no_wsp_34.png

yeah...that image is another representation of the exact same data I just shared

those lines represent the median of 1000 simulations, meaning it could be sooner, it could be later (consistent with the 45% statistic)

the lines are shifting slightly toward the coast, which is good news, and we'll have much more clarity tomorrow morning

And why does he have to bring the veterans into it. No reason to make it political buddy!!!

Back