• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

I get the N bomb. Fully understand it.

I struggle much more with the F bomb. I think the merits for that censorship are weaker than the N bomb, but may still rise to the level that censorship is appropriate. Much like the -gga version of the N bomb, I'm less offended by the oft humorous "-git" form of the F bomb (over the standard "-got" form).

A lot of what pulls me back to the acceptability of the F bomb is it's wide-spread use on the internet in the 2000s. Things like, "OP is a bundle of sticks," etc. There's a lot of nostalgia there. I also think that the F bomb took on a much stronger secondary meaning than the N bomb did/has.

Much like Retard. I would wager that 99.9% of instances of use of the word "retard" are used to refer to people who do not have a diagnosed intellectual disability.

So, the logic there is that the word has taken on such a secondary meaning that it has eclipsed the original meaning to the point that the original meaning isn't really meaningful. With retard, we're there. With the F bomb, we're pretty close to there. With the N bomb, we're not gonna get there.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Steve Bannon.

I get the N bomb. Fully understand it.

I struggle much more with the F bomb. I think the merits for that censorship are weaker than the N bomb, but may still rise to the level that censorship is appropriate. Much like the -gga version of the N bomb, I'm less offended by the oft humorous "-git" form of the F bomb (over the standard "-got" form).

A lot of what pulls me back to the acceptability of the F bomb is it's wide-spread use on the internet in the 2000s. Things like, "OP is a bundle of sticks," etc. There's a lot of nostalgia there. I also think that the F bomb took on a much stronger secondary meaning than the N bomb did/has.

Much like Retard. I would wager that 99.9% of instances of use of the word "retard" are used to refer to people who do not have a diagnosed intellectual disability.

So, the logic there is that the word has taken on such a secondary meaning that it has eclipsed the original meaning to the point that the original meaning isn't really meaningful. With retard, we're there. With the F bomb, we're pretty close to there. With the N bomb, we're not gonna get there.

The late 90's are truly when America was last great. Back when you could make fun of nerds on TGIF and TNBC. Back before cell phones completely ruined all human interaction. Pop music had blurred out N bombs everywhere and it was cool to sing along cause Dre and Snoop and Pac said it was cool and every kid growing up wanted to be Like Mike. The Arabs were just chillin and the commies were gone. A teenager could find Jennifer Aniston's titties on the internet if he wanted, but it was yet to be the free-for-all freakshow it is now at their fingertips. Kids could run around and play guns in their neighbors yards because everyone didn't have a fence and it wouldn't make other parents wonder if they were going to be a future school shooter. You grew up playing baseball but you didn't have to play in summer and winter leagues because you weren't trying to make $100 million dollar contract, you were just doing America's pastime. You knew what a catch was and what a personal foul was in football. Blockbusters weren't about lame comic books but about men doing men shit. And you always kinda knew who the gay people were but ya didn't make a big deal about it, and in return people didn't make a big deal about dropping the f-bomb.

palma is going to be a fantastic old.

The late 90's are truly when America was last great. Back when you could make fun of nerds on TGIF and TNBC. Back before cell phones completely ruined all human interaction. Pop music had blurred out N bombs everywhere and it was cool to sing along cause Dre and Snoop and Pac said it was cool and every kid growing up wanted to be Like Mike. The Arabs were just chillin and the commies were gone. A teenager could find Jennifer Aniston's titties on the internet if he wanted, but it was yet to be the free-for-all freakshow it is now at their fingertips. Kids could run around and play guns in their neighbors yards because everyone didn't have a fence and it wouldn't make other parents wonder if they were going to be a future school shooter. You grew up playing baseball but you didn't have to play in summer and winter leagues because you weren't trying to make $100 million dollar contract, you were just doing America's pastime. You knew what a catch was and what a personal foul was in football. Blockbusters weren't about lame comic books but about men doing men shit. And you always kinda knew who the gay people were but ya didn't make a big deal about it, and in return people didn't make a big deal about dropping the f-bomb.

prove it

Google actually makes it harder. I spent 15 mins trying to see Kendall Jenner’s boobies last week and all you found were articles talking about her boobies being out there.

Back in my day you’d find it with a simple search as the lawyers hadn’t gotten involved yet, but the anticipation would come by the image slowly downloading and revealing line by line from the top down at 14.4k per second.

Yes.

Google actually makes it harder. I spent 15 mins trying to see Kendall Jenner’s boobies last week and all you found were articles talking about her boobies being out there.

Back in my day you’d find it with a simple search as the lawyers hadn’t gotten involved yet, but the anticipation would come by the image slowly downloading and revealing line by line from the top down at 14.4k per second.

You've finally found your sweet spot. It took years to tune in where your inner troll felt most at home. This is it. You've turned an amazing thread into legendary bread.

So true

i don't know if plama's right about it being better but that's certainly how I grew up

smartphones, not cell phones, have ruined humanity

. . . America! America!
God mend thine ev’ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law. . . .

Loh posted an article from Ed Hardin after the BC game, and wsc noted how much Hardin mailed it in with the article (which he certainly did, it was trash), which set Loh off for some odd reason. And then Milhouse came along today pushing all the right buttons.

Loh = Ed Hardin, confirmed

back when we could say the n-word and the f-word and call asians chinks without repercussion and women just dealt with sexual assault on the low and everything was just a joke, chill out man

Agreed. Women should be able to act as stupid as men on the tennis court too.

Back in my day, we had more leeches (in the water) than ticks (in the woods). My theory is that ticks initiated the break down of society.

And it is all Palma's fault. He did something stupid to infuriate ticks, probably failing to pay one the money he owed them and then boasted about it a call with his maternal grandmother using an old wall phone he dragged across the kitchen while popping Orville Redenbacker stovetop popcorn. Fuck you Palma and all your cluelessness which begat the Armageddon.

Back