• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston College - Game Time Moved to 5:30pm Kickoff

Can't imagine that Saturday is an option either - storm is projected to still be hanging around.

Current projection has the storm (likely as a tropical depression) sitting over Winston-Salem at 8 a.m. Saturday...so that's a no go.

plus, BC would have to travel a day or two before, which would be much worse for that

By the time this storm hits the coast, it will like have tropical force winds 200 miles from the center and we are only 235 miles from Wilmington. As the storm nears the coast, a general expansion of winds due to land frictional force effects will expand the size of the wind field substantially (and it currenty is already at 140 mile out from the Center) leaving precious little time (assuming the storm moves at 10mph in forward speed) before torrential rain and 30-40 knot winds hit the triad. If it hits Wilmington (although I think it will go lightly south of there) at 8:00 AM Thursday morning, the heavier tropical storm wind gusts will start impacting us by 2-3PM and be a nightmare by 8PM.

For safety's sake, I hope they just go ahead and announce an alternative because I think it would be unsafe for all concerned if they attempt to play it Thursday and waiting to announce a change will just make things worse for those making plans coming from out of state or even within the state in some locations. This is not expected to stall or meander aimlessly until it comes into the central part of the State and butts into 2 high pressure systems, one to the North and the other to the West and it will have no "safe" place to go then. It is possible that certain places in the State could see 3 feet of rain over the next 7-10 days, let's pray that doesn't happen

Another reason it will be challenging is that family and friends of players will need to be focused on leaving their houses as opposed to the game

BC has moved from -4 to -6. Maybe people factoring in weather and how it would help their run-oriented O?

Granted the forecast for Thurs as of this moment is 20% rain and 12 mph winds

Those are some serious assumptions this far out. I'm thinking it's going to end up well east of the current track (closer to Morehead City/Hatteras) and the central/western parts of the state will be relatively spared.

ETA: @sportsnut's post

BC has moved from -4 to -6. Maybe people factoring in weather and how it would help their run-oriented O?

Granted the forecast for Thurs as of this moment is 20% rain and 12 mph winds

That and they've looked like world beaters the first 2 weeks and we've been shown to have some issues. This game reminds me a little bit of the last time the Tarheels came to Winston. I think it was the Hat's first season and they won their first 2 by a bunch with that fast break offense and people thought they'd roll us and we won 28-27. I'm not comparing the styles of play of course, but just the situation.

based on the following language in the non-update from WFU Athletics:

"Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches, fans and the lives of those in the path of the storm"

I would say there's almost no chance we will be playing football in Winston-Salem this weekend; i.e., the storm may well turn, but a decision will likely be made before that happens

BC has played UMass and Holy Cross to date.

I guess Tufts and Brandeis were busy

Yeah, but a lot of people who don't know better are going to say we played Tulane and Towson and think those 2 are pretty comparable to UMass (FBS) and Holy Cross (FCS).

By the time this storm hits the coast, it will like have tropical force winds 200 miles from the center and we are only 235 miles from Wilmington. As the storm nears the coast, a general expansion of winds due to land frictional force effects will expand the size of the wind field substantially (and it currenty is already at 140 mile out from the Center) leaving precious little time (assuming the storm moves at 10mph in forward speed) before torrential rain and 30-40 knot winds hit the triad. If it hits Wilmington (although I think it will go lightly south of there) at 8:00 AM Thursday morning, the heavier tropical storm wind gusts will start impacting us by 2-3PM and be a nightmare by 8PM.

Sounds like the Navy game in Annapolis I sat through several years ago. Every once in a while I will re-live that moment by sitting in the shower with all my clothes on.

I guess it can be asked..Have BC fly up Wednesday morning for a game at 6:30 Wed night?

Back