• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 US News Rankings - Wake #27

Given the 26 institutions ranked above us, we're right where we belong. We're not better than any of them, are we?

I would like to see what data led them to believe that Carnegie Melon, Tufts and USC are better than Wake.

Also, I would posit that we are certainly better than Michigan and probably UVA. Michigan enrolled 44 thousand people in 2018. Are the smartest kids at UM just as smart as the smartest ones at Wake? Sure. But there are likely at least 20K instate morons that could never get into wake. If you go by the 'dumbest kid on campus' rule you probably have to get through like 15 to 20K of dumb midwesterners before you get someone equivalent to the dumbest wake student.

I would like to see what data led them to believe that Carnegie Melon, Tufts and USC are better than Wake.

Also, I would posit that we are certainly better than Michigan and probably UVA. Michigan enrolled 44 thousand people in 2018. Are the smartest kids at UM just as smart as the smartest ones at Wake? Sure. But there are likely at least 20K instate morons that could never get into wake. If you go by the 'dumbest kid on campus' rule you probably have to get through like 15 to 20K of dumb midwesterners before you get someone equivalent to the dumbest wake student.

I need a Townie ruling

I see the Princeton Review rankings are out for 2020, and Wake has moved up to the #8 party school (#6 in "lots of beer" and #3 in "lots of hard liquor"). Interesting.

How is that possible. I don't know anyone who has ever considered Wake a party school? ECU/WVU/ASU/WISC. those are party type schools...

I see the Princeton Review rankings are out for 2020, and Wake has moved up to the #8 party school (#6 in "lots of beer" and #3 in "lots of hard liquor"). Interesting.

Seems like that’s increased with No SAT.

Looks like UoM has a higher average SAT score, a <25% acceptance rate, and a higher average GPA. Same with USC. All seem better than Wake.

Although I imagine the higher % of students at Wake that are Athletes can hurt us a bit. Wake seemed to have a high % of folks who worked hard, and we all bitch about grade deflation so we probably received a better education, but there weren't too many geniuses.

Last edited:
Looks like UoM has a higher average SAT score, a <25% acceptance rate, and a higher average GPA. Same with USC. All seem better than Wake.

Although I imagine the higher % of students at Wake that are Athletes can hurt us a bit. Wake seemed to have a high % of folks who worked hard, and we all bitch about grade deflation so we probably received a better education, but there weren't too many geniuses.

Not saying Wake is or isn't better than UVA/Michigan but what's always hurt Wake is that the people that apply to Wake are the people who have a legitimate shot at getting in. Everyone applies to their local state school which really helps their acceptance rates.

Wake being a top 50 party school would be surprising. Wake being a top 10 party school means the list is irrelevant.

How many people on these boards have partied at Wake in the last 5 years? Y’all are acting like experts on the current party scene.

How many people on these boards have partied at Wake in the last 5 years? Y’all are acting like experts on the current party scene.

I have, its not a top-10 party school. Probably made those lists based off how many dumb asses get blackout drunk without having fun.

There are people who think Wake is a better school than Carnegie Mellon?

Does drinking beer in the Gold lot count?

Not toward a top 10 ranking.

I’m guessing this ranking is heavily influenced by the high percentage of Wake students in Greek life.

Last edited:
Those numbers are based on self surveys so it’s possible that the dorks at Wake just think it’s a lot because they’ve never had any fun.

I'm not sure that Wake is the 8th best party school in the Carolinas. Congrats on paying for another successful rankings boost Hatch and Co.

Carnegie Mellon and Tufts are every bit as good as Wake. USC has some world class departments, but I'm sure it's better than Wake overall.

Perhaps the only thing more ridiculous than a magazine ranking universities is random schmoes on the internet ranking universities.

There should be a distinction between party drinking and depression/anxiety drinking if that's what these party school rankings are based on.

Back