• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 US News Rankings - Wake #27

Looking at that list, I think I just decided that my kids are going to UF.

I don’t really understand what this means (did RJ write that for you?), but I didn’t ignore the WSJ rankings thread. I thought it was interesting but it’s hard to put as much emphasis on new rankings because there aren’t years of data and trends and they aren’t nearly as important to applicants as the US News rankings.

Sure maybe that post was missing a word but my tuition comment was in reference to the WSJ rankings, which you largely ignored by talking about how our tuition compares to other private institutions in the US News rankings.

I was saying that’s how we move up in WSJ. Based on 923’s post above, student outcomes (salaries vs debt accrued) is important in that ranking. Sounds like a ratio. Lower the denominator, ratio goes up, ranking goes up.

Sure maybe that post was missing a word but my tuition comment was in reference to the WSJ rankings, which you largely ignored by talking about how our tuition compares to other private institutions in the US News rankings.

I was saying that’s how we move up in WSJ. Based on 923’s post above, student outcomes (salaries vs debt accrued) is important in that ranking. Sounds like a ratio. Lower the denominator, ratio goes up, ranking goes up.

I agree with you, which is why I wrote, “I agree that one way to potentially move up the list would be to slow tuition increases compared to peer institutions. Rice and Vandy have done this to some degree, and it has been successful. Wash U has not, and they have dropped from top 10 to #19 this year.”

Rafi's response to your post is what I was referring to, yeah. My post was poorly worded.

Looking at that list, I think I just decided that my kids are going to UF.

UF is insanely hard to get into for the actual education provided. UF has awesome graduate programs, and a wide range of same, which bumps the rankings. But the undergraduate selectivity comes from being the best school in a mediocre university system in the nation's 3rd most populated state. Crazy application volume, but the effort is more or less over once you get in, and then you just party. Sources are: I'm old (40) and some of my older friends (45-50) have kids at UF, and they are coasting. But they had to do tons of stuff in high school (sports, volunteer, leadership) and have great grades and test scores and often even IB just to get in.

The highest we have ever been ranked was under Dr. Hatch, when we were #23 in the 2014 report.

That's like saying sex was successful just because you momentarily attained an erection before becoming flaccid again....

That's....that's worse.

UF is insanely hard to get into for the actual education provided. UF has awesome graduate programs, and a wide range of same, which bumps the rankings. But the undergraduate selectivity comes from being the best school in a mediocre university system in the nation's 3rd most populated state. Crazy application volume, but the effort is more or less over once you get in, and then you just party. Sources are: I'm old (40) and some of my older friends (45-50) have kids at UF, and they are coasting. But they had to do tons of stuff in high school (sports, volunteer, leadership) and have great grades and test scores and often even IB just to get in.

The Florida prepaid tuition plan also makes state schools even more attractive financially and keeps good students in-state.

The only way to move up IMO is to drastically increase graduate programs. Most of those above us have huge graduate schools.

Back in the late 90s I remember getting a UF acceptance letter and I don’t remember ever officially applying. Of course WFU was my first choice. Many friends went to Florida and coasting was very possibke. I know people who never went to classes but just watched the recorded video feeds from the comfort of their dorms. Of course, these same friends have more more lucrative careers than me so to each their own.

Back in the late 90s I remember getting a UF acceptance letter and I don’t remember ever officially applying. Of course WFU was my first choice. Many friends went to Florida and coasting was very possibke. I know people who never went to classes but just watched the recorded video feeds from the comfort of their dorms. Of course, these same friends have more more lucrative careers than me so to each their own.

So, not only did they do less work in college, they also have better careers than you? That seems like a no-brainer. AND there are TONS of hotties of UF. Like tons. So many.

So, not only did they do less work in college, they also have better careers than you? That seems like a no-brainer. AND there are TONS of hotties of UF. Like tons. So many.

Unless you're antisocial, one of the best reasons to go to UF is connections. If you are going to work anywhere between Atlanta, New Orleans and Key West, there are a million UF grads in thousands of companies and in government. You're likely to know someone, or a lot of someones, if you were socially active at UF, Greek or otherwise. Wake is great but doesn't provide that...it's simple numbers....it's also a bummer that of the guys my year and the year behind me in my fraternity, two groups I really enjoyed hanging out with...not a single one of them lives in FL. Even my fraternity brothers who were originally from Florida settled elsewhere. My wife, who has her undergrad and grad degrees from UF, has about 25 fairly close friends in Tampa alone that she met in college....and it has helped her career and social life.

The only people who actually want to live in Florida are people who live in Jersey, Pennsylvania, Cuba or Ohio. Everybody else is smart enough to stay the fuck away other than for vacation.

Who the fuck wants to play golf in Florida in July ?

I see the Princeton Review rankings are out for 2020, and Wake has moved up to the #8 party school (#6 in "lots of beer" and #3 in "lots of hard liquor"). Interesting.

Given the 26 institutions ranked above us, we're right where we belong. We're not better than any of them, are we?

I see the Princeton Review rankings are out for 2020, and Wake has moved up to the #8 party school (#6 in "lots of beer" and #3 in "lots of hard liquor"). Interesting.

Does Hatch get the credit for this?

Back