• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

September 11, 2001 (Merge with 9/11 thread if there is one)

Grabs Turds Bare

Reaction score
I was in my freshman dorm room when the first plane hit. Roommate and I saw it on the little TV we had. Went out into the hall and after we learned what had happened, everyone was saying we're going to war.

What really sticks with me is that President Bush was at an elementary school when he got the news. He was like reading to kids or something. I'm not sure I could write a better narrative for huge impact the event had on innocence. There was a lot of Bush hate before then and after then. People talking about how he was stupid or a Cheney puppet. But look at this dude's face as he walks into this room. The way he puffs air out of his cheeks before going to the podium. It's so fucking human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1K84iRZPo"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1K84iRZPo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

It's funny that I now regret not acting on the impulse to join the military at that time. In my peer group of attorneys, I so respect the men and women who did join or have been part of their respective branches of the armed forces.

I was in my freshman dorm room when the first plane hit. Roommate and I saw it on the little TV we had. Went out into the hall and after we learned what had happened, everyone was saying we're going to war.

What really sticks with me is that President Bush was at an elementary school when he got the news. He was like reading to kids or something. I'm not sure I could write a better narrative for huge impact the event had on innocence. There was a lot of Bush hate before then and after then. People talking about how he was stupid or a Cheney puppet. But look at this dude's face as he walks into this room. The way he puffs air out of his cheeks before going to the podium. It's so fucking human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1K84iRZPo"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP1K84iRZPo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

It's funny that I now regret not acting on the impulse to join the military at that time. In my peer group of attorneys, I so respect the men and women who did join or have been part of their respective branches of the armed forces.

"....and to find those folks who committed this act."

Not the time to use "folks" like you're talking about someone up the street, but we were all in shock.

I was a 1L at UF. We just sat and watched TV in shock and despair for two or three hours, then someone put "It's the end of the world as we know it...." on repeat on the stereo and we got drunk AF.

"....and to find those folks who committed this act."

Not the time to use "folks" like you're talking about someone up the street, but we were all in shock.

I was a 1L at UF. We just sat and watched TV in shock and despair for two or three hours, then someone put "It's the end of the world as we know it...." on repeat on the stereo and we got drunk AF.

It's crazy to me how much things changed that day. Maybe things were already changing, but the 90s were so decadent. The 2000s were draped in grey by comparison, hell, maybe full on black.

I was in my second to last year of teaching HS. I was about 15 miles outside of DC. I was teaching Journalism, so I had a TV in my room. Don't remember how I got word, but I turned on the TV after the first tower had been hit, but before the second one. Got most of my information from these boards that morning.

I was picking up a friend to take him to the office when he told me to come inside and look at the TV.

BTW, one of the unsung, ongoing heroes of 9/11 is Jon Stewart. His never ending, tireless work to provide healthcare and other assistance to first responders has saved and prolonged countless lives. His refusal to let them be forgotten is to be honored.

I was in a project meeting. Someone came in the room and said a plane crashed into the WTC. I was thinking "Cessna accident" - probably an older pilot with medical issues. Then they came back and said another plane crashed into the other WTC building. WTF? We adjourned the meeting and found a TV, horrified to learn that it was not a Cessna, it was intentional, and it was catastrophic. We saw the people stuck in the fire. Some jumping/falling. I called my wife and made sure she was aware and watching. Then the towers fell. :tear:

If you're not watching the 9/11 Memorial on ESPN you should be.

As a firefighter, going to Ground Zero post 9/11 is a surreal experience. Each time I go, I make sure no one else is around. Personally, it's a moving time that I'd prefer to experience alone.

4 of us roomates Sat in Polo that day watching TV on a 13" tv and a loveseat meant for two. One ended up going into the Army, another worked for Capitol Police, the third became a district attorney, and I became a firefighter. Needless to say, that day touched us all.

Those remarks by Dr. Hearn might be the most compelling words I have read to come out of 9/11.

That was a well thought out and most appropriate piece of writing by Dr. Hearn. In a few well chosen words he captured the impact of that day on the US and this generation.

I remember walking into our reception area and a secretary telling me that a plane had just hit the WTC. I replied "how can you not miss something that big?" A few minutes later we heard about the second plane. The rest of the morning was spent following CNN online as we didn't have a TV around then. I went home at lunchtime and spent the rest of the day glued to the TV. I remember walking my dog that night around 8:00, looking up, noticing the absence of planes (there were usually a few that time of night) and thinking how strange it was knowing that any planes I saw would definitely be military. Coincidentally, that same secretary was the person who first told me about the Challenger explosion.

We huddled around a small TV at work (the one TV in the whole building of 2000 people) and all discussed how the next step was going to be the US picking a fight with anyone who we could blame the planes on. And how that was going to be unbelievably expensive and last years. I had no idea it would last until today. I believe my direct quote was "the US is going to spend all of the money getting revenge for this."

With all the lies Trump has told 9/11, it's an affront to all those who have suffered or died due to the attacks to have him giving any speech about it. This is an insult to all those who served in the Afghan and Iraq Wars.

Conversely, Jon Stewart's tireless, relentless and selfless actions have finally delivered some solace and protection to the heroes of 9/11 and should never be forgotten.

Found out through a message from a buddy via AIM. If it happened today, I feel like the first thing I'd see is an alert on my watch. Technology is weird.

Back