• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

That whole situation was pretty complicated apparently. I don't think it was performance related at all.

It wasn't.

https://www.diehards.com/wake-forest/athlon-sports-jay-sawvel-wake-forest-top-coordinator-hire

Sawvel served as defensive coordinator for Minnesota in 2016. Prior to that, he was an assistant on the Golden Gophers staff for five years, coaching defensive backs and special teams. Under Sawvel, Minnesota’s defense was ranked in the top 25 in points allowed, yards allowed, sacks per game and takeaways.

"Our eyes aren't in the right place. Just look undisciplined back there. It's a problem we have to get fixed. We're three weeks into it and it's not getting better. It's getting worse.
I've got to get more involved. .... This has been a two year problem." -- Dave Clawson, 9/13

Says it all right there. Clawson is beyond pissed. It's obvious the DC has to be replaced. Total disaster.

Last edited:
Fire Sawvel -- Tonight

Yeah, more personnel than scheme

Maybe, but not as in recruiting. Our defensive backs have the physical tools to compete. Whether it is through individual coaching or the scheme, they’re making the wrong reads. Especially the safeties. The cornerbacks can keep with people physically, but they have no field awareness and their technique is bad. That looks more to be coaching than ability.

Communication also seems to be really ppoor in the secondary. That also falls on coaching and how our secondary practices.

It wasn't.

It was a very odd situation. Multiple gophers players were charged with sexual assault and suspended. The other players thought it wasn’t fair and threatened to boycott their bowl game. The school then threatened the players. The bowl game was played and then the whole staff was fired.

It was a very odd situation. Multiple gophers players were charged with sexual assault and suspended. The other players thought it wasn’t fair and threatened to boycott their bowl game. The school then threatened the players. The bowl game was played and then the whole staff was fired.

I took it that the "it wasn't" was in reply to "I don't think it was performance related at all."

I took it that the "it wasn't" was in reply to "I don't think it was performance related at all."

Gotcha. I probably misread that.

Sawvel was considered a very good get when he was hired. As the article above indicates - he was considered the best ACC coordinator hire that offseason.

I think our problem is with personnel, but the scheme doesn’t seem to be helping much either.

Gotcha. I probably misread that.

Sawvel was considered a very good get when he was hired. As the article above indicates - he was considered the best ACC coordinator hire that offseason.

I think our problem is with personnel, but the scheme doesn’t seem to be helping much either.

Perhaps there is an issue with some of the players, particularly DB's executing to scheme. As Clawson noted, eyes of DB's did not seem to be in the right place. Scheme issue or execution issue or????

Maybe, but not as in recruiting. Our defensive backs have the physical tools to compete. Whether it is through individual coaching or the scheme, they’re making the wrong reads. Especially the safeties. The cornerbacks can keep with people physically, but they have no field awareness and their technique is bad. That looks more to be coaching than ability.

Communication also seems to be really ppoor in the secondary. That also falls on coaching and how our secondary practices.

I agree 100%. In the past I have often resigned myself to poor D-back play because we were athletically inferior. I don't think that is the issue with this group. It seems more a problem of technique, field awareness and communication. Simply put: they need to be coached up. I was driving home and only heard Clawson with Stan. I did not get the press conference. But the statements quoted above are perhaps the most candid and scathing that I have ever heard from a Wake coach. However, it remains to be seen if anything actually changes. If not, every team with a decent QB will eat us alive.

We’re starting a converted WR at safety, so it’s not like we have an abundance of talent back there.

We also don’t have a good pass rusher on this squad.

bobfordeacs

I agree 100%. In the past I have often resigned myself to poor D-back play because we were athletically inferior. I don't think that is the issue with this group. It seems more a problem of technique, field awareness and communication. Simply put: they need to be coached up. I was driving home and only heard Clawson with Stan. I did not get the press conference. But the statements quoted above are perhaps the most candid and scathing that I have ever heard from a Wake coach. However, it remains to be seen if anything actually changes. If not, every team with a decent QB will eat us alive.

Clawson hired him,so Sawvel is his responsibility and I agree he needs to go. As far back as I can remember Wake has had poor pass defense and it seems it is going down hill now. It seems our defensive backs don't have a clue. Surely when Sawvel goes the defensive backfield coach will go also. I bet the Qb from ND is smiling all over himself and can't wait for next Saturday. He should have a field day passing and running. Hartman also lost his Heisman bid and he probably knows how Wolford felt his freshman year. Hartman is a tough kid but many games like this one and he will be seriously injured. I suspect ND will be facing Hinton.

Wake has a new cornerbacks coach as of February this year. The safeties coach has been there two years as has the linebacker coach. These two DB position coaches came from FCS and low level FBS schools. They have only the experience while at Wake of seeing P5 offenses at work. Learning curve is steep. The LB coach did put in a decade at Duke before going on to Elon, Western Carolina and Sam Houston State.

I am a little surprised Wake has separate coaches for safeties and cornerbacks. Would think that might be part of the communication issues.

Last edited:
I dont think the DC should necessarily be fired. The Dline was pretty decent. Dillan had 185yds but he really didnt hurt us other than the 52 yd TD.

The secondary coach should definitely be on the hot seat. Brown threw for 5 TDs, 2 of which our DBs didn't even turn their heads to find the ball. That's just inexcusable. If things dont get better in the secondary, we may not win more than 4 or 5 games this year.

I dont think the DC should necessarily be fired. The Dline was pretty decent. Dillan had 185yds but he really didnt hurt us other than the 52 yd TD.

The secondary coach should definitely be on the hot seat. Brown threw for 5 TDs, 2 of which our DBs didn't even turn their heads to find the ball. That's just inexcusable. If things dont get better in the secondary, we may not win more than 4 or 5 games this year.

Did you watch Clawson's post-game presser before posting this?

If you haven't, I'll provide you the Cliff's notes. He spent six straight minutes. of the seven total, stating that our defense absolutely sucks and the problem has been going on for two years.

Last edited:
Wake has a new cornerbacks coach as of February this year. The safeties coach has been there two years as has the linebacker coach. These three position coaches came from FCS and low level FBS schools. They have only the experience while at Wake of seeing P5 offenses at work. Learning curve is steep.

I am a little surprised Wake has separate coaches for safeties and cornerbacks. Would think that might be part of the communication issues.

Wake isn't going to get a DB coach from a P5 school unless he's a fired P5 coach.

Wake isn't going to get a DB coach from a P5 school unless he's a fired P5 coach.

There are a bunch of those available every year because the assistants get fired when the HC gets fired.

Would like our DB coaches to have experience higher on the football difficulty scale before coming to Wake. That is the better non P5 schools, like AAC or MAC schools.

Mis-stated the LB coach credentials. He did put in a decade at Duke before moving along to Elon, Western Carolina and Sam Houston State.

Last edited:
Well yeah, they're available. But wouldn't we rather have something moving up the ladder than hanging onto a rung?

It's tough, bc even as I am typing this out, I am thinking of excuses like "well, we kept leaving our DB's on an island by putting 7 and 8 in the box to stop a very good RB" but then going into the season I was thinking "we are going to have trouble with pocket passers and/or talented receivers." So that really leaves me asking the question of whether or not we can truly defend anything elite, or are we always going to be just a man short. If we had one of: Bates to cover, or Duke/Nikita to get pressure, could we cope?

Last edited:
We had both most of last year and our defense still had issues.

It's tough, bc even as I am typing this out, I am thinking of excuses like "well, we kept leaving our DB's on an island by putting 7 and 8 in the box to stop a very good RB" but then going into the season I was thinking "we are going to have trouble with pocket passers and/or talented receivers." So that really leaves me asking the question of whether or not we can truly defend anything elite, or are we always going to be just a man short. If we had one of: Bates to cover, or Duke/Nikita to get pressure, could we cope?

We get decent pressure up the middle (a la Nikita) but have trouble with contain on the ends to bottle up the QB. Bates would undoubtedly help b/c our biggest mess is the safeties and subsequently the pressure it puts on the corners. There is miscommunication and huge gaps in our coverage mainly because we're making the wrong reads or misunderstanding roles in the secondary, which stems from safety play. I'm not sure if they're cheating up or it's by scheme, but our safeties were often only 7 yards off the line tonight. It makes some sense going against Dillon, but then they didn't fill to the outside well and weren't getting back in coverage.

Back