• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

Jesse Bates masked a lot of the defensive issues while he was here. We miss him badly.

Jesse Bates masked a lot of the defensive issues while he was here. We miss him badly.

This. We are replacing an NFL draft pick with a converted WR and lost another significant contributor in Davis. We have some real liabilities at corner too.

It’s noted here earlier but i think Claw lost his shit because it was blown assignment after blown assignment and not really that our guys got “beat”. Other than the terribad last TD on Taylor, the rest were guys running wide ass open. I would have thrown for 5 TDs last night too.

We’re starting a converted WR at safety, so it’s not like we have an abundance of talent back there.

We also don’t have a good pass rusher on this squad.[/QUOTE

This is all correct.

We also have 1 wide receiver we can rely on right now (need Bachman or L#7 to step up now). Converted WR at safety is not great situation. That and one cornerback is not good.

Jesse played in the bowl game and we still gave up 52. As Clawson said last night, this is a two year problem. It is not a "missing Jesse Bates" problem.

To say Jesse masked problems is to stick your head in the sand to actual results last year. Our D got smoked regularly with 42 to Syracure, 48 to ND, 38 to GaT, etc.

Obviously I can't read Claw's mind, but I think the thing that probably has him the most fired up is how many big plays we are giving up. That is inexcusable and as others have alluded to are all about missed assignments. My understanding is we coach more of a bend but don't break type D, but last night it was over and over big breaks. Dillon's big TD run was completely misread and amateur hour. I know it is Dillon but we didn't even get a hand on him and I could have run through that hole. multiple 20+-30 yard TD catches, 71 yard TD catch, 40 yard TD catch. Add to that is the many times we got them in 3rd and long and then allow big pass plays for 1st downs. That is a sign of a horrible D. We may not have Clemson talent, but our talent should be good enough to prevent most of these. Not to say there aren't going to be occasional breakdowns and a big play given up, but it was a broken record last night and almost every drive for BC.

Good reason for Claw to be hot. Hope Sawvel got in early this am and started breaking down tape and coming up with game plan to coach these boys up and figure out who on the team can step up to play good D and at least avoid a Tecmo bowl D.

The problem is , shouldn’t Sawvel know that by now? Does Taylor play this poorly in practice? Is the secondary communication this bad in practice? Were our coaches surprised by this? Almost sounds like Clawson was - “I’ve got to get more involved”

As far as meltdown threads go, this one is just OK. More pitchforks would've raised it a level or two.

The problem is , shouldn’t Sawvel know that by now? Does Taylor play this poorly in practice? Is the secondary communication this bad in practice? Were our coaches surprised by this? Almost sounds like Clawson was - “I’ve got to get more involved”

I think you need to watch his press conference. He spent the entirety stating that our secondary is absolute dog shit.

Clawson is at the end of his rope. He has watched big play after big play for two years and it is time to end the Sawvel tenure. It is not like we have given up big play after big play to top passing schools. Both Towson and BC are know as running schools. The thing that was so bad last night was the defensive secondary was not even close to receivers. They were running around like chicken with their heads cut off-- that is coaching. It has gone on for two years-- that is not just a bad night. Also, note that Sawval was secondary coach at Minn. before being promoted to DC-- so it is not like he should have no clue what the secondary should d. Just an epic fail for two years. If the problem is personnel, who was in charge of recruiting?

Ugh, Clawson is to blame too, sillies. Defense has sucked for 2 years now, but just now he's thinking he should get more involved. Need to recruit better players, too.

Ugh, Clawson is to blame too, sillies. Defense has sucked for 2 years now, but just now he's thinking he should get more involved. Need to recruit better players, too.

Yes. But, Dave Clawson isn't going to fire Dave Clawson, now is he? As the CEO, it's his job to fix the problem. It begins with replacing his DC.

Not to pile on but Ja'Sir had one of the worst games I ever recall seeing for one individual member of the secondary. Every time he was on screen he was getting beat, was out of position, and/or looked like he had no idea what he was doing.

Not to pile on but Ja'Sir had one of the worst games I ever recall seeing for one individual member of the secondary. Every time he was on screen he was getting beat, was out of position, and/or looked like he had no idea what he was doing.
His angle on Dillon's big run on the first drive was unbelievably bad.

What teams left on our schedule can we realistically hope to hold under, say, 35 points with this passing D? Rice? Pitt?

Last edited:
yeah Sawvel and DB coaches are officially on notice. Clawson mentioned undisciplined play by DBs multiple times as well as it is on us as coaches. Saying we aren't playing fundamentally back there says it basically is all on coaches. Their job is to get the players to play fundamental D and if they aren't capable they find the players that will get the job done.

Interesting to the only DB player Clawson thinks is doing his job is Bassey. Any idea who of our RS and frosh DBs could be capable of stepping it up and getting it done? And in 9 days???

To say Jesse masked problems is to stick your head in the sand to actual results last year. Our D got smoked regularly with 42 to Syracure, 48 to ND, 38 to GaT, etc.

Bates was hurt and did not play vs. ND or Syracuse, and was probably not 100% thereafter

that said, of course we weren't a great or even good defense with him; when your safety is your leading tackler that's a pretty good sign you have issues

In fairness to Clawson I think he has granted a lot of leash to Sawvel since it was his first year last year and takes time for players to learn a system and get it implemented. We heard in the offseason how better our D would be this year even after looking some studs because the team would be much more up the curve and playing the style and way Sawvel would want. And Clawson truly believed it. Now that he has 3 games of evidence where our secondary is getting torched by subpar teams and we make Brown look like the 2nd coming of Brady it is becoming crystal clear that Sawvel's system is horrendous and that he has not been able to either 1.) get the players to learn the system better and play it better in year 2 or 2.) we just have dumb players.

So it is on Sawvel as he sold Clawson the system and that the D would be better in year 2 than what he saw last year. Even more troubling is not only has the D not improved but appears to seriously digressed against so-so passing teams with regular bombs given up.

Gotcha. Sawvel was considered a very good get when he was hired. As the article above indicates - he was considered the best ACC coordinator hire that offseason.

The Athlon article praising Sawvel's hire also said this: "Wake Forest finished 2016 ranked third in the ACC in scoring defense (22.2 ppg). Look for Sawvel to keep this defense near the top of the ACC in his first year calling the plays."

And how did that play out? Wake was 11th last year in scoring defense, .1 ppg out of 12th place. Makes me wonder if the Athlon writer would still react to Sawvel's hire with as much enthusiasm.

Back