• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

I don't think we can put all the blame on Sawvel. My understanding is that Manning has been a little bored lately and got permission from Wellman to lend a hand to the defense (against Clawson's wishes). He has been working specifically with the secondary for the past two weeks trying to implement his lock down basketball defensive strategy with our DB's.

I think it could take a little time for these basketball defensive strategies to completely take root on the football field. Either way, it should not last too much longer as Manning will have to turn his defensive genius insights back to the hardwoods pretty soon.

We should applaud Wellman for having the open mindedness to allow this crossover coaching cooperation to take place.

The downside is that Wake fans have to endure the same defense in basketball and football. There are rumors that Manning may want to lend a hand to the soccer coach in the spring time so that will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Mike Allen get some time. He's either legit or not but he's already used his redshirt season so let's go. We got almost no pressure yesterday, which doesn't excuse necessarily how shitty the secondary was but certainly added to the problems

I'd like to see Mike Allen get some time. He's either legit or not but he's already used his redshirt season so let's go. We got almost no pressure yesterday, which doesn't excuse necessarily how shitty the secondary was but certainly added to the problems

He hasn't made it onto the two deep yet. I thought I read that he was nicked up towards the end of summer camp. Maybe he hasn't healed up enough yet.

Prior to Wake, Jackson had Rice, Syracuse, Army, Northern Illinois on his resume. This array of coaching stops is much better preparation than the like of Delaware Valley College, Delaware, Rhode Island. Both DB coaches are learning on the job about how to coach DB's at the P5 level. They should have done some of their learning at schools in the AAC, CUSA or MAC.

This is a simplistic analysis of a complex situation. Under your line of reasoning, Oregon shouldn't have hired Chip Kelly as OC in 2007 because he'd only coached at New Hampshire, Johns Hopkins, and Columbia.

The bottom line is that the secondary coaches aren't getting the job done. If Clawson makes a change, and I hope that he does, I trust and expect he'll hire the best person for the job regardless of their background.

Serious question, not trying to flame. Who are we going to beat besides Rice from here on out? Teams can throw on us all day.

Serious question, not trying to flame. Who are we going to beat besides Rice from here on out? Teams can throw on us all day.

We will win some games, but it will be because we have the potential to score 40+.

Pitt might be the best chance. When Cuse has Dungy at QB, they can really score, Duke actually has a pretty good defense this year and I don’t like our chances at Louisville or State. We’ve got to get better on pass defense and start creating some turnovers.

Nobody if the defense does not improve. I think coach might figure something out to make the defense just slightly below average. That would give us a chance to win some games.

This isn't basketball. We have a legit coach. We'll patch up our weaknesses, highlight our strengths, pull some redshirts and adjust our game plan. We won't be the same team in December that we are right now.

Reactionary statements like this after a loss drive me nuts. WF just scored 34 and rolled up 500 yards on a team that many consider the ACC's darkhorse. Suddenly, WF can't win another game outside of Rice? The defense will improve. Hartman will improve. WF has some legit offensive weapons with Dortch, Surrat, Carney, Colburn. Outside of Clemson (and I think that game will be close), WF is going to be "in" every remaining game. WF will win some of those. Would still put the over/under for the season at 6.

This isn't basketball. We have a legit coach. We'll patch up our weaknesses, highlight our strengths, pull some redshirts and adjust our game plan. We won't be the same team in December that we are right now.

True dat. Just take a look at how much our offense came on last year over the course of the year, even sans our biggest weapon down the stretch.

Going into ND I just hope we don't completely overcompensate for our secondary problems though and leave ourselves open to get gashed on the ground. Think it'd be a smart strategy from Kelly to hit us on the run in passing formations early next week -- hope he doesn't read the boards

Are Cam Glenn, Amari Henderson and Masterson all healthy?

I found myself having Marcus McGruder flashbacks. Like we got nobody else, so we have to play him.

Reactionary statements like this after a loss drive me nuts. WF just scored 34 and rolled up 500 yards on a team that many consider the ACC's darkhorse. Suddenly, WF can't win another game outside of Rice? The defense will improve. Hartman will improve. WF has some legit offensive weapons with Dortch, Surrat, Carney, Colburn. Outside of Clemson (and I think that game will be close), WF is going to be "in" every remaining game. WF will win some of those. Would still put the over/under for the season at 6.

Without looking, I’m pretty sure this isn’t a game we were “supposed” to win at the start of the season. A lot of the comments are extremely reactionary... plus, FSU looks like a steaming pile of shit this year. We will win more football games.

Without looking, I’m pretty sure this isn’t a game we were “supposed” to win at the start of the season. A lot of the comments are extremely reactionary... plus, FSU looks like a steaming pile of shit this year. We will win more football games.

I don’t know if it was one we were “supposed to win, but in the words of deaconbd, we all pretty much agreed it was one we needed to win to have a shot of getting to 7+ wins. Looks like we probably split the first 6 then we’ve got to find 3 more wins the last half of the season.

Agreed.

No disagreement. Wake can win a number of games this season. However, as our head coach has clearly stated, we have enormous problems on defense that must be fixed.

Will Clawson address them? I have full confidence he will.

Fire Sawvel -- Tonight

No disagreement. Wake can win a number of games this season. However, as our head coach has clearly stated, we have enormous problems on defense that must be fixed.

Will Clawson address them? I have full confidence he will.

No disagreement from you regarding reactionary statements? You started a thread (this one in fact) calling for the defensive coordinator to be fired the night of the game. There could not be a better example of a reactionary statement.

Until we get bigger lineman, this is what is going to happen. Both our lines were man-handled. DB's had problems alright, but their qb had all day to throw, obviously ours did not. They managed to get receivers wide open. Our receivers could not get open, even our catches were covered, they just managed to make plays. Yeah recruiting needs to improve.

Good post. Aside from Dortch, this year's squad doesn't have any game breakers on offense. The pass defense and offense were bad for all the reasons mentioned above. BC was more athletic at just about every position. Our ability to keep the score "close" was all about the team spirit and heart, not talent. The arguments for how great our o-line is because of rushing yards gained is just wrong. Our rushing offense effectiveness is more about scheme than great blocking or talent. It could get better as Hartman learns to make better decisions, but the blocking itself isn't that special.

Good post. Aside from Dortch, this year's squad doesn't have any game breakers on offense. The pass defense and offense were bad for all the reasons mentioned above. BC was more athletic at just about every position. Our ability to keep the score "close" was all about the team spirit and heart, not talent. The arguments for how great our o-line is because of rushing yards gained is just wrong. Our rushing offense effectiveness is more about scheme than great blocking or talent. It could get better as Hartman learns to make better decisions, but the blocking itself isn't that special.

No. Just no no no.

Wake is EVERY BIT as athletic as BC. They are not Clemson or Alabama or Ohio State. Last year they made more mistakes and Wake cruised to a comfortable 34-10 win. This year Wake made more mistakes and lost 41-34. They didn’t recruit 25 5* players in the off season. Two similar teams played and one made a few more errors.

No disagreement from you regarding reactionary statements? You started a thread (this one in fact) calling for the defensive coordinator to be fired the night of the game. There could not be a better example of a reactionary statement.

Our head coach has said this problem has been going on for "two years". If you are that fucking tone deaf to understand what he's saying, I can't help ya.
TWO YEARS just might give you a clue!!

Back