• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

Good post. Aside from Dortch, this year's squad doesn't have any game breakers on offense. The pass defense and offense were bad for all the reasons mentioned above. BC was more athletic at just about every position. Our ability to keep the score "close" was all about the team spirit and heart, not talent. The arguments for how great our o-line is because of rushing yards gained is just wrong. Our rushing offense effectiveness is more about scheme than great blocking or talent. It could get better as Hartman learns to make better decisions, but the blocking itself isn't that special.

Herron at left tackle was a big part of the really good O line talk. No sacks given up against some of the best pass rushers in college. Left tackle is the key guy in pass protection.

Losing him weakened the team at two spots, both tackle spots.

Clawson is right. This performance looked just like the Duke game at the end of last season. Then the DB's got torched in the bowl game. It's not last year v this year. It's a continuation of something that hasn't changed a bit. Same thing in our first two games. The book is out on us. Throw the ball. Easy to understand the frustration as this had to be a huge point of emphasis in off season. Clawson sees all the emphasis and roster moves have him in the same damn place. So that's months of work and it didn't work. Now he's going to blow it up because it hard to see it be worse if you play a bunch of freshman.

No. Just no no no.

Wake is EVERY BIT as athletic as BC. They are not Clemson or Alabama or Ohio State. Last year they made more mistakes and Wake cruised to a comfortable 34-10 win. This year Wake made more mistakes and lost 41-34. They didn’t recruit 25 5* players in the off season. Two similar teams played and one made a few more errors.

I think I agree with this, but I'm still figuring out how BC went from 0-fer in the ACC three short years ago to supposedly nipping at Clemson's heels for first place in the Atlantic.

We're supposed to have more depth and experience than ever (granted we had some big question marks) but have fallen behind BC. That was a game we really needed to win if we want to say we're becoming a contender for the division.

I think I agree with this, but I'm still figuring out how BC went from 0-fer in the ACC three short years ago to supposedly nipping at Clemson's heels for first place in the Atlantic.

We're supposed to have more depth and experience than ever (granted we had some big question marks) but have fallen behind BC. That was a game we really needed to win if we want to say we're becoming a contender for the division.

A. J. Dillon, all American running back.

The “fall-behind”’nonsense is jiust that. Losing one game doesn’t mean anything about the status of two programs. Wake beating Louisville last year didn’t mean Louisville behind us as a program.

Herron at left tackle was a big part of the really good O line talk. No sacks given up against some of the best pass rushers in college. Left tackle is the key guy in pass protection.

Losing him weakened the team at two spots, both tackle spots.

Have to agree. I recalled two plays where our RT virtually whiffed on his block resulting in two sacks. Also, don't we have 10 1st or 2nd team (or close) players out for the year? Both teams running a fast paced offense, was it 105 snaps, calls for ready subs to maintain max effort. Our QB didn't have time to have WRs come open as he had to get rid of the ball. Still, proud of our effort and expected corrections.

The “fall-behind”’nonsense is jiust that. Losing one game doesn’t mean anything about the status of two programs. Wake beating Louisville last year didn’t mean Louisville behind us as a program.

I get that, but I guess I'd say I am thinking about the bigger picture. They seem to be out-recruiting us which was not the case a couple of seasons ago. If we can't keep pace with BC, we're that much farther from closing the gap with the top programs.

BC lucked into a stud RB that got missed in recruiting by the big boys and has one of the oldest OLs in the country. They will look entirely different next year. One peak season doesn’t make a program.

Nobody is nipping at Clemson's heels in the division or the other. All the talk about BC is media hype. They are getting better, and someone has to finish second to Clemson.

I get that, but I guess I'd say I am thinking about the bigger picture. They seem to be out-recruiting us which was not the case a couple of seasons ago. If we can't keep pace with BC, we're that much farther from closing the gap with the top programs.

The key with Wake Forest is never to accept that we've closed the gap on recruiting. At least not until we've been successfully recruiting 4 and 5-star players for a decade or more. Wake does not have any football tradition and without conscious changes in method will not suddenly rise above the field. Clawson "gets" recruiting more than any other coach we've had I believe, but he's not the Wake administration and board of trustees. Wake is gonna Wake as long as those bodies remain entrenched in their approach toward college athletics.

Reactionary statements like this after a loss drive me nuts. WF just scored 34 and rolled up 500 yards on a team that many consider the ACC's darkhorse. Suddenly, WF can't win another game outside of Rice? The defense will improve. Hartman will improve. WF has some legit offensive weapons with Dortch, Surrat, Carney, Colburn. Outside of Clemson (and I think that game will be close), WF is going to be "in" every remaining game. WF will win some of those. Would still put the over/under for the season at 6.

Who left on the schedule other than Rice and Pitt do you feel good about beating with our pass D (secondary, lack of pass rush), poor pass protection, and health questions at receiver?

Who left on the schedule other than Rice and Pitt do you feel good about beating with our pass D (secondary, lack of pass rush), poor pass protection, and health questions at receiver?

Any team that doesn't have a running back at Dillon's level.

BC lucked into a stud RB that got missed in recruiting by the big boys and has one of the oldest OLs in the country. They will look entirely different next year. One peak season doesn’t make a program.

Ummm, Didn't Dillon initially commit to Michigan?

The other problem Thur. night was a bad scheme. We were so determined to stop the run that we never varied our defense-- load the box and play off in the secondary. If we are going to give up big plays, lets at least run some blitzs and put some pressure on the QB. If you give any decent QB the kind of time we gave BC QB he will complete passes. Do what BC did at the beginning of the game, try to shake up the QB. Have some blitzs and stunts. We just tried to confuse them with an unbalanced line-- that was it. Poor scheme. Too passive when you have weak DBs

Yes. He also had offers from Florida State, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, and Nebraska.

BC being hyped up is mainly because of Dillon. He is a once in a decade/generation player at a place like BC. For the next two years, BC should be tough. I don't expect Dillon to hang around for his senior year so once he leaves, Addazio will have to earn his paycheck again and will probably lose his way back to the hot seat.

When Cameron Glenn and Chuck Wade were making so many tackles on Dillon early on, I knew that the play action passing could burn us, and it did. That's the gamble we took.

Ummm, Didn't Dillon initially commit to Michigan?

Yea I got that wrong. New he committed to Michigan but thought they dropped him as they got other commits. Looks like he dropped them and went somewhere he knew he would get PT. So I was wrong on that. I still believe that this is a BC peak season, not an elevation in the talent at the program. But you guys are free to another opinion.

Y’all know that funny meme when Clawson was holding his hands up when we won 3-0 in OT versus BC?

Yes both teams are better but remember when we played some defense?

Grobe’s guys are gone. I’ve worried if we pay attention to defense under Clawson.

Back