• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

Someone please reach out to Loh to get him an answer to this question

Both DB coaches only had FCS and very low FBS experience before Wake. LB coach had not coached at FBS level in a decade. Only D line coach had significant FBS experience prior to Wake. Sawvel has to train his coaches so they can teach the players. The two DB coaches probably don't know what they don't know.

Both DB coaches only had FCS and very low FBS experience before Wake. LB coach had not coached at FBS level in a decade. Only D line coach had significant FBS experience prior to Wake. Sawvel has to train his coaches so they can teach the players. The two DB coaches probably don't know what they don't know.

If we need a new DB coach I heard Vontae Davis might be looking for a job.

Chip Vaughn for DB coach and Josh Gattis for DC effective immediately! They will get it done!

When Cameron Glenn and Chuck Wade were making so many tackles on Dillon early on, I knew that the play action passing could burn us, and it did. That's the gamble we took.

THIS^^^

We sold out to stop Dillon and needed the safeties to help stop him. It was only a matter of time, until they used play-action. IMO, the DB's struggled with eye discipline (watching the receiver and not the QB in man coverage), but the front 7 also shares much of the blame, since they couldn't stop Dillon and needed the safety help.

I think we had a great gameplan for BC. Although Dillon almost ran for 200, we kept him relatively "in-check." He only scored one touchdown. We were not going to let him beat us.

Instead, we put it on A. Brown to beat us. Obviously, he massacred us. However, with some half-way decent DB play, I think it is a whole different game.

Great gameplan, awful execution.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/accxtra/magic-won-t-fix-wake-forest-s-issues-with-pass/article_9407e58f-4568-59b6-aada-9e192284b63d.html

Better focus on reps in practice comes, in part, because Clawson has inserted himself in more of a hands-on role with the defensive backs.

The communication aspect is surprising, because that’s something Clawson, defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel and defensive players were all encouraged by in fall camp. It became a problem in the second half of the season last year, partially because of an injury to Jessie Bates III, and the feeling was that despite Bates’ departure, the Deacons were on the same page as a defense.

After three games, it’s clear that hasn’t been the case.

“I want to be back there and hear the checks and make sure that I’m emphasizing the things our defensive coaches are emphasizing and, you know, sometimes when the head coach gets involved, there’s maybe a little bit more urgency,” Clawson said. “That clearly, right now, is an issue on our football team.

“I’m past the point of saying, ‘Hey, it’s just going to get better with time.’”

I'm not predicting a mid-season firing, but when the boss has to spend his time doing your job for you, your seat has got to feel pretty warm.

https://www.greensboro.com/sports/accxtra/magic-won-t-fix-wake-forest-s-issues-with-pass/article_9407e58f-4568-59b6-aada-9e192284b63d.html

I'm not predicting a mid-season firing, but when the boss has to spend his time doing your job for you, your seat has got to feel pretty warm.

Hopefully there's not a downstream effect because Clawson isn't focusing on an area where he might otherwise be working. Seems like a bad sign for Mr Sawvel. But maybe it makes everyone focus more on their job and we show some improvement

Wake could always redshirt Hartman and play Hinton this year.

Was thinking about this last night. I was excited about Hinton before the season, and I really like Hartman but I think Hinton is the better option. Just my .02. What an embarrassing day.

Yep, we need new direction next year. No way should we be this bad.

Back