• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sawvel -- **Dismissed**

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they should be pitching shut outs or are 2006 reincarnated. I’m just saying that from a physical standpoint they shouldn’t be anywhere near this bad.

Agree. It's embarrassingly bad. Hard to believe it's a power five defense out there. Just no clue at any level it seems

They don’t have the pass rush or coverage ability to take away the pass, but they aren’t terrible against the run. Maybe going forward they should just sell out to stop the run and hope the other team makes a mistake passing or coverage improves.

Greer had two good plays today before getting hurt. Caused the fumble with a great read/hit. Also had a big hit on a wide open TE

Greer got hurt? Good grief, we can't catch a break back there. I'll say it again, due to injuries and attrition, we are playing several guys that really should be third string at this point in their career. I'm certainly not saying that is the entire reason the defense is so bad, but it's definitely one of the reasons.

Secondary and linebackers are not good. Dawson, Jaboree and Bates greatly missed.

Greer got hurt? Good grief, we can't catch a break back there. I'll say it again, due to injuries and attrition, we are playing several guys that really should be third string at this point in their career. I'm certainly not saying that is the entire reason the defense is so bad, but it's definitely one of the reasons.

just like all the young players we are starting? there is no talent on D, and the coaching is even worse. stop trying to sugarcoat this. clawson said it himself, this has been a problem since dc has been here...not sure why hes still here

Yes, per Les. Undisclosed injury

Secondary and linebackers are not good. Dawson, Jaboree and Bates greatly missed.
We miss Duke and Wendell Dunn just as much. Feels like we've gotten like 2 sacks all season.

I think it’s scheme more than players. You think we’d be so bad if Elko we’re still around?

I think it’s scheme more than players. You think we’d be so bad if Elko we’re still around?

They run very similar schemes though don't they? I don't know what it is. It seems like we have two fewer players on the field than other defenses. Just so much open space from the time the ball is snapped to the time the qb throws the ball 5-7 seconds later

They run very similar schemes though don't they? I don't know what it is. It seems like we have two fewer players on the field than other defenses. Just so much open space from the time the ball is snapped to the time the qb throws the ball 5-7 seconds later

Similar in that it is a 4-2(3)-5(4) with a river-type player. The responsibilities of the rover are different. There are different stunt packages and keys.

No. Elko seemed good at coming up with a plan to take something away from an offense to make them one dimensional and getting the players to understand the plan.

Right now there doesn’t seem to be a plan and the players seem confused and hesitant.

Just got back to Raleigh. Completely uninspired football, coupled with terrible execution. The defense has the same issues and the offensive line was really bad in pass protection. But it’s one thing to give it your all and lose and another to do whatever it was they did today. The long punt return we gave up at a key time was atrocious. Guys just standing around, not running hard, and that was a microcosm of the game.

Also think Wade is in a really shitty spot. He is a horrible safety and doesn’t seem to want to hit people. I guess he’s getting more playing time this way but he’s completely lost.

Just got back to Raleigh. Completely uninspired football, coupled with terrible execution. The defense has the same issues and the offensive line was really bad in pass protection. But it’s one thing to give it your all and lose and another to do whatever it was they did today. The long punt return we gave up at a key time was atrocious. Guys just standing around, not running hard, and that was a microcosm of the game.

Also think Wade is in a really shitty spot. He is a horrible safety and doesn’t seem to want to hit people. I guess he’s getting more playing time this way but he’s completely lost.

Yeah Wade sucks, Taylor sucks, every person they put in the Rover position sucks, and the entire defensive game plan every game sucks. Overall this entire defense inspires me to not watch the rest of this season. I can predict how it will go already. We beat a lesser Rice team, and then every game going forward the D gives up at least 5 touchdowns to ACC teams and we lose.

Elko’s defenses could also get off the field on third downs. This guys can not.

Lots of good points in this thread. Sawvel and the defensive coaches deserve some of the blame and the players deserve some of the blame. The entire defense is horrible in my opinion. The thing that I took away as I left the game is I saw no improvement from the BC game. I am also very concerned that Clawson said after the BC game that he needed to get more involved to get the defense to improve. What good did that do? None, as far as I'm concerned. So Dave deserves some blame too.

Agree, if DC worked with the defense it did no good. They look lost out there. Not just a case of bad eye discipline

I thought the defensive backfield played better than against BC. However, our DL and linebackers are a problem. ND looked like they were 4" taller and 30-50 lbs larger per man up front OL vs our DL. Beyond that we cannot contain the edges and we don't seem to wrap up tackles. We looked out of position a lot. The uptempo offense simply isn't good enough to prevent our defense from having to be on the field far too much.

One reason that I think that Hartman should be redshirted is that our defense is simply not good enough to win this season.

Of course, apart from some major improvement, it won't be good enough next season either.

I think the players are better than the scheme and the coaching. Falls on Sawvel and i can't imagine the Ivy league DB coach is not in over his head. If it plays out like this, be interesting to see what Clawson is willing to do to fix something he already has said is broke. Notre Dame was no physically better than us and we should have been competitive or better. Ruggerio for his part, has to be the worst red zone since El Lobo. We go into a shell at the 20 and give ourselves no chance. His certainly does not trust his players. Way too hot Saturday sitting in those stands to watch another hot mess on the field.

I think the players are better than the scheme and the coaching. Falls on Sawvel and i can't imagine the Ivy league DB coach is not in over his head. If it plays out like this, be interesting to see what Clawson is willing to do to fix something he already has said is broke. Notre Dame was no physically better than us and we should have been competitive or better. Ruggerio for his part, has to be the worst red zone since El Lobo. We go into a shell at the 20 and give ourselves no chance. His certainly does not trust his players. Way too hot Saturday sitting in those stands to watch another hot mess on the field.

you are blind if you could not see the difference in physicallity between the teams. how do you explain the runners getting at least 5 yards before getting touched...every run play?

Back