• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perhaps worst wake officiated game in post replay era

Couple of points here. For those saying " the better team won" or, "we were outplayed" or, "BC dominated us" would you please go look at the stats, the complete list and tell me how you can make those statements after you do? Also, last time I checked, special teams are part of the same game as offense and defense and counts just as much. This was an even game with 2 evenly matched teams and this game was determined solely on defense, which we had precious little of. Fire Sawvell!

Couple of points here. For those saying " the better team won" or, "we were outplayed" or, "BC dominated us" would you please go look at the stats, the complete list and tell me how you can make those statements after you do? Also, last time I checked, special teams are part of the same game as offense and defense and counts just as much. This was an even game with 2 evenly matched teams and this game was determined solely on defense, which we had precious little of. Fire Sawvell!

Yup. A bad play by the special teams that leads to a short field or TD isn't any different from a bad throw from the QB.

Need to quit bitching about this game and learn how to play some defense. BC used to be a reliable win. Now that they aren't, it just became that much harder to become bowl eligible.

Sure, losing a game decreases your chances of becoming bowl eligible (always the case) but we were at 85% to get to at least 6 wins prior to last night's game per S&P and only had a 22% chance of winning that one. We're probably back to 75% or so depending on how our performance against BC impacts our future win percentages.

BC is a pretty good team this year. AJ Dillon is a juiced up and skilled RB who knows how to run through tackles and stiff arm smaller guys. Their O-line has NFL players on it. The game was lost by our secondary and the refs missed calls were a minor part of the game.

How will BC's future performance affect our bowl eligibility ? How many more times do we play BC this year ?

We lost to the second best team will play in the League this year let's go out and take care of business against Pitt, Syracuse, State, Duke, and Florida State who's very overrated

Who is to say we can't wake up and go off like BC did last year? Freshman quarterback with loads of potential this game might have been the game that made it click or maybe the next two or three will. Maybe Clawson will realize Ja'Sir Taylor should never be on the field other than mop-up Duty for us ever again. Glenn was very Rusty

I don't know what game some folks were watching, but the one I watched, we got whooped by BC.

I don't know what game some folks were watching, but the one I watched, we got whooped by BC.

To me it wasn't a whooping it was playing a d with no secondary and they barely won

I agree. My wife came in, and i said we were getting manhandled, but still fighting like crazy to hang in there. The Deacs showed a lot of heart! Did we even put their QB on the turf once? I know he ordered a BO-BOX w/dirty rice back there in the pocket a few times.... even had time to wink at the girls in the stands before throwing to wide open receivers. This is the kind of physical dominance (their OL vs our DL) that can either break you for a few weeks, or make you get in the gym & work harder. i hope our guys decide the latter or we could be in for a string of L's. I think our LBs & DBs are either DII level talent, or are being incorrectly coached (schemed).

Dortch punt return no personal foul
Dortch punt return questionable block in back same play
False start on BC turns into first down with 17 hard completion
Face mask against Wake for 15 yards when he grabbed helmet
Horse collar tackle on Carney long run
About to sack QB and holding, no call, first down
Incomplete ball called on field reversed for TD

Grabbing & tackling by the helmet can also be a personal foul penalty.
Many holds are overlooked. My buddies who call ACC football say this is big boy football at this level. They do not call holding unless you see somebody turned and taken down. Holding could be called on every play if you want to get right down to it so forget about having that call "save" your game for you.
We had several calls ourselves that we got away with--most notably an obvious pass interference late in the game but they scored on the next play I believe anyway.

We were very simply outplayed and our defense gave up way too many long passes. Hartman made another critical turnover down near the red zone. He has to quit looking at his receivers all the way. He is going to be a great one I think and is in a learning curve as a true freshman that they all have.

Grabbing & tackling by the helmet can also be a personal foul penalty.
Many holds are overlooked. My buddies who call ACC football say this is big boy football at this level. They do not call holding unless you see somebody turned and taken down. Holding could be called on every play if you want to get right down to it so forget about having that call "save" your game for you.
We had several calls ourselves that we got away with--most notably an obvious pass interference late in the game but they scored on the next play I believe anyway.

We were very simply outplayed and our defense gave up way too many long passes. Hartman made another critical turnover down near the red zone. He has to quit looking at his receivers all the way. He is going to be a great one I think and is in a learning curve as a true freshman that they all have.

We were outplayed, but pulling a tackle down by the arm as he is about to sack the quarterback is a penalty at any level. The most infuriating call to me was overturning the pass interference that would have put us first and goal. What the hell. We would have likely scored a TD there instead of a FG. Totally changes complexion of game.

We did not play well enough to win. That's a fact. But that officiating crew was an embarrassment for ACC football. Also a fact.

Also that penalty for block in the back on the big Dortch return was weak as fuck; however, there is NO EXCUSE for a block in the back penalty...ever. If I were the coach anyone called for a block in the back would sit out a game. Don't even get close. There is nothing to gain at all. Such a stupid penalty.

I don't know if that was pass interference. It was poor defensive technique but the contact was very minimal. The defender has a right to their position even if they don't turn their head. The BC receiver didn't really create much contact on that play

I don't know if that was pass interference. It was poor defensive technique but the contact was very minimal. The defender has a right to their position even if they don't turn their head. The BC receiver didn't really create much contact on that play

Was at the game so didn't see the tv replays but it looked like PI to me live, and it looked like PI to the referee closest to the play as he threw a flag. It's very rare to pick a flag up except when it's judged to be uncatchable, which was not the case here.

Whether or not it should have been called, I certainly think it's BS to pick the flag up there. Just another shit break for us.

Was at the game so didn't see the tv replays but it looked like PI to me live, and it looked like PI to the referee closest to the play as he threw a flag. It's very rare to pick a flag up except when it's judged to be uncatchable, which was not the case here.

Whether or not it should have been called, I certainly think it's BS to pick the flag up there. Just another shit break for us.

The one PI flag was picked up because the BC coach sold a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage.

That makes sense I guess. I never saw the ref signal tip. I didn't think it was tipped. But at least that explains it a bit.

I was referring to the play The Reff was talking about before the BC TD. Our defender had his back turned to the play, but the receiver didn't really force much if any contact,

I agree that one was if the ball wasn't tipped.

short week

I thought we looked listless, lacking energy as compared to BC. Last week their starters played only a quarter of a game and it probably was not nearly as hot during the game.

Back