• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

It seems like Clawson is going one week at a time regarding QB. Hartman will start against Rice. He remains the best passing QB, runs well, has shown leadership and toughness. He lacks experience running the RPO, is prone to a stupid TO and lacks physical development. Experience has shown Clawson he will need a second QB this season due to injury. Newman is the most physically capable QB and is a punishing runner. Everything else is a question mark due to lack of game experience. Hinton is a known commodity and the second most dynamic offensive player on the team. Unfortunately, he has shown difficulty making the short and medium range pass.

Hartman will remain the starter unless the negatives begin to outweigh the positives or he is injured. Both are a distinct possibility. At that point he will choose Newman or Hinton. One week at a time.

We should start Jasamken Newharton. Would actually be an impressive player.

Hartman is not proficient in the RPO. His timing needs work. Also his timing on qb draws and runs is rushed. Wolford last year and Hinton have that feel of letting the hole develop. Newman gets tough yards.

Hartman is the best pure pocket passer and he is a competitor. But he is an immature kid physically.

If we run the offense we have and the QB running this much then Hartman should be redshirted.

Did I hear the announcer say something to the effect of Clawson was moving Hinton from QB due to the cultural aspect of your leader getting suspended for violating team rules? Something along the lines of impressing upon the team a culture of accountability. If Clawson really feels that way, you can forget seeing Hinton at QB - unless somebody gets hurt.

At this point, I would like to see Jamie gets some first team reps in games (even like Clemson when we are down 21), to see how well he throws in game situations. But after seeing that one pass alone, I believe Hartman will ultimately beat him out and be the QB.

Our problem is all our QBs look great in practice because it's so easy. We have to wait for the actual games to see them against legit defenses. Could be Hartman would have never been the starter if he had been facing a P5 defense since the Spring game. He finally experienced the speed and strength of a legit defense Saturday. I hope he is a quick learner because he looked like a jumpy, happy footed, inaccurate, flee the pocket freshman against the Golden Domers.

If we're going to keep running Hartman off-Tackle, we're going to need all three QBs to be ready.

Newman, if given time, is as good a passer as Hartman. But Hartman, even if given time, is not as good a runner as Newman.

Hinton is good enough at passing and close enough to Hartman. Hinton's running and quickness are superior to Newman and Hartman. Hinton needs to play behind center for WF's offense to be very successful the rest of the way.

If Hinton will not be played behind center then Newman should be. Hartman will not be able to carry the load alone the rest of the way and WF will not be very successful just playing Hartman. The opposing defenses are just too good for WF to play with only a pure passer without the running threat of Newman or Hinton.
As it appears Clawson is completely sold on Hartman, hopefully they both prove this view to be wrong but seriously doubt they will. But Hinton should still be played behind center much of the way to improve our chances.

Newman was impressive running the football. He punished defenders, seemed difficult to bring down and could be a man to get the ball in critical short yardage situations. At 6'4" and 230 pounds he is a load.

Yeah. Kinda weird to me that we got a glimpse of baby Cam and people are like, “Nah, he threw that one pick. Do not want.”

Yeah. Kinda weird to me that we got a glimpse of baby Cam and people are like, “Nah, he threw that one pick. Do not want.”

Yeah and it wasn’t a terrible throw, he just under threw it a little bit. It’s not like Sam hasnt throw some picks so far.

Newman accounted for 102 yards on 7 passes and 8 carries. Hartman accounted for 121 yards on 24 passes and 16 carries. Now Newman played against some backups, but still. I think the competition should be more open than it seems to be.

Newman accounted for 102 yards on 7 passes and 8 carries. Hartman accounted for 121 yards on 24 passes and 16 carries. Now Newman played against some backups, but still. I think the competition should be more open than it seems to be.

There were also some back ups in for us as well.

I still would prefer the 4th year player, and likely 2nd most athletic/dynamic player on the team to start at QB. It really frustrates me to think there's a good chance we may never see Hinton again at QB (in a starting/meaningful role).

Went through this thread and didn't see anyone saying that.

If you have an issue with Clawson starting Hartman and working in Newman at times, say that you think Hartman should be redshirted and Newman should start the rest of the way. Take a stand, rather this passive aggressive misrepresentation of others.

From his public statements, it appears that Clawson thinks that Hartman gives WF the best chance to win because WF has some explosive options at receiver and Hartman gives WF the best chance to exploit those options. That makes sense to me. That said, I liked what Newman brought to the ND game; expect WF continue to work with him on his touch and ability to throw downfield, and fully expect Newman to get his chances to contribute. No one said, "I don't want". FWIW, I really like the diverse talents that WF can draw from at QB. Probably the most depth that WF has had at QB that I can remember with three capable QBs. All will return next year.

I still would prefer the 4th year player, and likely 2nd most athletic/dynamic player on the team to start at QB. It really frustrates me to think there's a good chance we may never see Hinton again at QB (in a starting/meaningful role).

From the press conference it sounded like Hinton will play both WR and QB at times. Clawson recognizes that Hinton is one of his playmakers and wants him on the field.

Went through this thread and didn't see anyone saying that.

If you have an issue with Clawson starting Hartman and working in Newman at times, say that you think Hartman should be redshirted and Newman should start the rest of the way. Take a stand, rather this passive aggressive misrepresentation of others.

From his public statements, it appears that Clawson thinks that Hartman gives WF the best chance to win because WF has some explosive options at receiver and Hartman gives WF the best chance to exploit those options. That makes sense to me. That said, I liked what Newman brought to the ND game; expect WF continue to work with him on his touch and ability to throw downfield, and fully expect Newman to get his chances to contribute. No one said, "I don't want". FWIW, I really like the diverse talents that WF can draw from at QB. Probably the most depth that WF has had at QB that I can remember with three capable QBs. All will return next year.

I think if the QB competition was close and Hartman won due to injuries, based on what we’ve seen from both, the competition should remain open.

Back