• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

I think Hartman should be our primary QB but would love to see several packages for Hinton to give the opponents defense something else to think about and prepare for. I could see Hinton producing well with about 20-25 snaps per game because he is a dynamic player

If the plan were to bring Hinton back, he would have been getting some reps as QB over the last few weeks. Are people really suggesting he go from no reps all season to QB1 in practice this week?

There's a lot of 'grass is greener' thinking going on here. Hinton is being sold as a better passer than he was. Hartman throws a great deep ball, in addition to being able to throw the quick ones and run/scramble when needed. As much as I hate the fade, he throws an amazing fade. He also sold the RPO well, leading to open passes, at times last night. Hinton being able to create himself is a different dynamic, but I'm not convinced it's a net positive. Our offense is working.

Fair points, but my question is would Hartman be playing if Hinton hadn't got himself suspended for the 1st 3 games? If that answer is probably, then I think it's worth the staff thinking about since the opportunity to have Hartman redshirt is still there. Hinton has his faults but he's shown he can be effective for us. I'm not even which way I'd go, but I think it's worth looking at.

The "Hartman for Heisman" thread was much more fun, if only for the rubes that didn't get the joke.

I don't think he's a problem at all either! I just would love to have a RS Senior Sam if Hinton is basically a more experienced equal option this year.

You ARE saying that our QB is the problem because you want a more "experienced" hand back there. Stop! Hartman is NOT the problem, he doesn't play in the secondary. The ONLY stat you need to know from last night is that BC did NOT have any plays in the red zone! Not one. He is a freshman and he will make some mistakes. I think we can all live with those as he will get better. The players LOVE Hartman. Under Hartman we are averaging 32 PPG. Just stop being an douche and focus on the real problem, the back end of our defense.

Clawson would legit laugh at this thread.

Also that first INT of Sam's might have been a nip behind Dortch, but still hit him in the midsection and he had it but let the DB rip it away. Dortch has to be stronger with that. If he isn't going to catch it he has to be sure to rip it away from the DB while they are fighting for it.

And Dortch should have had the TD catch. It was there and not an easy catch, but one you expect a good WR to come down with when it hits the hands.

I mean I was Pro Hinton but after these first three games this is Hartman's job. We do need to figure out a way to get him involved in the offense

I thought our play calling in the redzone was poor. Throwing a fade to Dortch on 4th and 2 at the goal, with a bruiser like Cade, was a very stupid call. We had another 4th down inside the 10 where Sam rifled the ball so hard, no one would have hung on.

I thought our play calling in the redzone was poor. Throwing a fade to Dortch on 4th and 2 at the goal, with a bruiser like Cade, was a very stupid call. We had another 4th down inside the 10 where Sam rifled the ball so hard, no one would have hung on.

Yeah I hate that call on 3rd or 4th down. It's a play that gives you no other options and as good as Dortch is, he's only what 5'9", that's a play you throw to a Washington or Surratt type receiver.

Speaking of the second interception, I am convinced Hartman could not see the bc player because all of our coaches on the sideline with white shirts on. The throw was so bad and was thrown as if no bc player was in the area. Probably ridiculous but only explanation for throwing it right to the bc player

Hartman has to be the QB going forward. He'll make some mistakes but he's playing at a very high level for a freshman. We would have put up 40+ points against BC if our wide receivers had hung on to a couple fairly well thrown balls in the end zone.

Speaking of the second interception, I am convinced Hartman could not see the bc player because all of our coaches on the sideline with white shirts on. The throw was so bad and was thrown as if no bc player was in the area. Probably ridiculous but only explanation for throwing it right to the bc player

The only thing Hartman does that is freshman-like is staring down his receivers. DB just made a easy read. I was hoping coaches would use a pump and go deep to Dortch on the next series but that never happened

Hartman has to be the QB going forward. He'll make some mistakes but he's playing at a very high level for a freshman. We would have put up 40+ points against BC if our wide receivers had hung on to a couple fairly well thrown balls in the end zone.

Scotty had a bad drop early in the game which would have extended the drive. Assume first game jitters. Not sure he played again after that

Fair points, but my question is would Hartman be playing if Hinton hadn't got himself suspended for the 1st 3 games? If that answer is probably, then I think it's worth the staff thinking about since the opportunity to have Hartman redshirt is still there. Hinton has his faults but he's shown he can be effective for us. I'm not even which way I'd go, but I think it's worth looking at.

If Hinton considerably better than Hartman? Will we win 2+ more games with Hinton? I don't think so. In that case, you go with the young guy. Hartman plays the game that this offense ran so well last year. He will stop making mistakes over time, but he has done his job. The defense is the bigger issue than any QB controversy.

Hartman has been good with his legs so far, sure Hinton is better on running but its not like Sam can't run. Yes Hartman has 1 bad turnover per game so far, but he's only played 3 college games as a true freshman. I think playing him all season will pay dividends because he has a much higher ceiling than Hinton, and the Hartman that plays week 10 will be even more improved than early season Hartman. Hinton doesn't have as much room to grow, we know who he is.

I’m hoping we see both on the field a decent amount. Hinton in the slot, but also able to step and run the offense from time to time. It would make the offense less predictable, something it desperately needs, particularly in the RZ or on short yardage plays.

If Hinton considerably better than Hartman? Will we win 2+ more games with Hinton? I don't think so. In that case, you go with the young guy. Hartman plays the game that this offense ran so well last year. He will stop making mistakes over time, but he has done his job. The defense is the bigger issue than any QB controversy.

Definitely times 1000.

No, I don't think he's considerably better than Hartman, but (and again I'm not saying it would be the right thing to do, just worth considering) the question is how much better could Hartman be in a RS Junior and Senior year by redshirting this year with valuable experience already under his belt vs. remaining the starter this season and not getting the extra year. We probably stay with Hartman and honestly as far as Hinton goes, I think he blew his chance by making a poor choice.

Love message board speculation and banter, but let's not take this too seriously: unless he gets hurt against ND, there is zero chance that Hartman gets redshirted this year.

Clawson isn't worried about WF football in 2022 (what would be Hartman's RS senior year); I'm sure he feels he will bring in another stud QB by then.

That said, while as tough as Hartman is, he was battered last night, and in football terms, he is small. There is a reason that Wolford missed games at WF; the QB will get hit a lot with this offense; so, Hinton and/or Newman will play this year. Would think that specter of using Hinton would be helpful as it just gives the opposing DC something to worry about and it may keep Hartman from getting pancaked as often.

Last edited:
Back