• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

I did not even see Hinton on the sidelines last night. Even the folks around me were asking where he was.

Hartman should have had 4 int's last night.
Yeah, he lollipopped one up that Cheevers just completely dropped through the bread basket. The 4th down throw to Surratt was very dangerous and probably should've been picked. First INT was just weird and more Dortch's fault.

Still no QB competition at all to me.

Last edited:
Sam Hartman reminds of hot shot rookie cop in a TV show or a movie.

"He's reckless! He's gonna get us killed, chief."

"Sure he's unorthodox. He makes mistakes. But he's the only guy I can trust."

I did not even see Hinton on the sidelines last night. Even the folks around me were asking where he was.

You shouldn't have seen him last week, either. He's not allowed to be on the sidelines while he's suspended. Not even allowed to be in the stadium -- though, I find it hard to imagine that if he wanted to go sit in the student section, security would remove him from the stadium or something.

If this season follows the script of the past four seasons, Hinton and/or Newman will take meaningful snaps at QB. Sam played tough last night but took a beating. It won't get easier.

FWIW, Hinton has received praise for his play as scout team QB from the coaches and players. He is ready if called upon.

I had this same thought leaving last night, with Kendall coming off suspension and Hartman still being able to redshirt, should we consider it? He can always play if Hinton and Newman get injured. I think it’s worth thinking about with the new redshirt rules.
+1

You ARE saying that our QB is the problem because you want a more "experienced" hand back there. Stop! Hartman is NOT the problem, he doesn't play in the secondary. The ONLY stat you need to know from last night is that BC did NOT have any plays in the red zone! Not one. He is a freshman and he will make some mistakes. I think we can all live with those as he will get better. The players LOVE Hartman. Under Hartman we are averaging 32 PPG. Just stop being an douche and focus on the real problem, the back end of our defense.

I am not saying that. Also, in the postgame Colburn equated the turnovers with the secondary for the reasons why we lost. You completely missed the point and went to name calling.

I would get Hinton snaps vs. ND

Hinton could take some snaps at wide receiver. He has lost his opportunity to play QB unless Hartman & his backup gets hurt. Remember Wally Pipp.

I am not saying that. Also, in the postgame Colburn equated the turnovers with the secondary for the reasons why we lost. You completely missed the point and went to name calling.

No, he didn't.

"The learning curve is high. It’s a burden, you know, it’s really hard on a freshman quarterback to say you’re going to win games scoring 50 points.
And again, the takeaway from this game is we gave up six explosive touchdowns. And that’s the one that’ll keep me up tonight and all weekend and it’s just – we’re better than that. We’re not getting it done."

That was a question about Hartman. And Clawson couldn't avoid talking about how bad the secondary/defense was. What about this quote tells you that Clawson (not Colburn, I hope that's a typo) equated the turnovers with the secondary for the reasons why we lost?

On the radio with Stan. It was Colburn. My feed was admittedly awful so maybe I missed it, but a friend said the same thing when I talked to him last night about the comments.

At the risk of squabbling over what problem is most-concerning, though, I'd say Clawson's comments overrule Colburn's. This team has more problems than just in the secondary.

But the one that matters most, and the one that honestly looks the least likely to be fixed, is the secondary and pass defense right meow.

Hartman is a talented QB. Mistakes this season are inevitable. Next year he is a star. Worked for Anthony Brown. It is the defense I’m worried about.

At the risk of squabbling over what problem is most-concerning, though, I'd say Clawson's comments overrule Colburn's. This team has more problems than just in the secondary.

But the one that matters most, and the one that honestly looks the least likely to be fixed, is the secondary and pass defense right meow.

I don't disagree at all. My original premise has been somewhat altered and maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was solely trying to ask opinions on whether having Hinton start now is worth having a RS Senior Hartman based off not having Wolford this year.

I don't disagree at all. My original premise has been somewhat altered and maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was solely trying to ask opinions on whether having Hinton start now is worth having a RS Senior Hartman based off not having Wolford this year.

Gotcha. No worries. It's definitely discussion worthy.

FWIW, my two cents would be no, it's not worth it. The future, i.e. Hartman, might've arrived earlier than expected or preferred because of unfortunate circumstances. But now that he's here, he's proved capable of operating the offense at a high level, you roll with him.

The re shuffled offensive line opened up decent running lanes. Two backs over 100.

Pass blocking was more of an adventure.

If we get a lead, we should keep running until forced to pass. Play calling on that 15 play Drive was bad at the end. We throw a slant to waydale Jones and then high degree of difficulty fade on 4th and 2. Killer.

Back