• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

I don't disagree at all. My original premise has been somewhat altered and maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was solely trying to ask opinions on whether having Hinton start now is worth having a RS Senior Hartman based off not having Wolford this year.
You don't bench Hartman now in hopes that he leads us to a big bowl in Jan 2023. There's way too much that could happen between now and then.

Last season Anthony Brown had 11 tds and 9 interceptions in 10 games. Now, in 3 games, he has 9 tds and 0 interceptions. He is off to a great start and A.J. Dillon ain’t bad either.

The thought of Hartman playing in four full games and doing pretty darn well, taking a redshirt , and then having 4 more years as starter sounds crazy but the more I think about it the more I like it. It’s exactly what I would do in program Mode of EA college football .

I agree he had to escape the pocket sometimes, but Hartman has a tendency to flee the pocket at the first sign of pressure when he should just step up into it. He's young. He'll learn.

Absolutely. Last night reminded me a lot of Wolford’s first two years. Just got a little skittish at the first sign of pressure - freshman do freshman things.

Last season Anthony Brown had 11 tds and 9 interceptions in 10 games. Now, in 3 games, he has 9 tds and 0 interceptions. He is off to a great start and A.J. Dillon ain’t bad either.

Brown looks better, but as much as I hate to say it, he was faced 3 horrible pass defenses (UMASS, Holy Cross and WF) in his first 3. Think his numbers will moderate during the season. That said, BC has elite offensive weapons. Everyone knows about Dillon, but they also have WR Jeff Smith, who seems like he has played at BC for a decade and is an big and fast at receiver. Tommy Sweeney is another in a line of stud BC TEs, and they have some complementary pieces in the skill spots. Their OL is loaded as always. If Brown plays on a high level, BC will score A LOT of points this year.

Our pass defense has been pretty bleak. Hope A. Henderson is healthy. He and Bassey are solid. After those two, we have a big drop off. Bring on K.Dicks and let’s see what he can do at corner.

The thought of Hartman playing in four full games and doing pretty darn well, taking a redshirt , and then having 4 more years as starter sounds crazy but the more I think about it the more I like it. It’s exactly what I would do in program Mode of EA college football .

Yeah, except in real life, players get injured (often in practice), coaching staffs move on, players transfer, etc, etc.

No QB controversy -- this is Sam's team unless he get hurt. End of story

I think that Hartman is far too competitive to accept well the idea of red shirting after playing 3 entire games. As reasonable as it might sound in some respects, it would be tantamount to flushing this season. I think he is the best QB we have even with his inexperience. Nonetheless, he would probably benefit from watching Hinton play a few series per game. It will be interesting to see how Clawson uses Hinton for the remainder of the season.

Also, a major problem with our defensive backfield is the inability of our defensive front to generate a serious pass rush.

I thought our D line was solid. I missed the first series due to traffic getting to the stadium and I heard Dillon scored on a run up the middle (?). What I saw, we hit him a lot in the backfield and he hurt us on runs to the outside that our LB’s and DB’s didn’t cover very well. A couple of those big pass plays were not due to lack of pass rush too - the QB launched a pass from a simple 2/3 step drop after two seconds and our corners refused to turn around and find the ball. Just bad from our secondary all around. I think Bassey and Glenn are good but we need work outside of those two.

Glenn got completely worked by a pretty mediocre double-move. He sucked too last night.

Brown looks better, but as much as I hate to say it, he was faced 3 horrible pass defenses (UMASS, Holy Cross and WF) in his first 3. Think his numbers will moderate during the season. That said, BC has elite offensive weapons. Everyone knows about Dillon, but they also have WR Jeff Smith, who seems like he has played at BC for a decade and is an big and fast at receiver. Tommy Sweeney is another in a line of stud BC TEs, and they have some complementary pieces in the skill spots. Their OL is loaded as always. If Brown plays on a high level, BC will score A LOT of points this year.

Seriously, I was like how is he still playing for BC?

Yeah Glenn got beaten badly on that play, basing the Glenn comment on him being good for us for years. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re seeing some mistakes from him because the coverage from CBs has been so bad (on the other hand, maybe playing opposite Bates made his job easier).

Hartman is the man. If our OL doesn't start protecting him better giving time for our receivers to get open, it doesn't matter who the qb is. He has a higher ceiling than anyone on this team. Give him some protection and correct the defense and we will win some games. As I said on another thread, we need bigger lineman. We were outmanned on both lines. If you look at the rosters, BC's lineman on both sides of the ball were 15 to 20 pounds heavier(some more). Anderson and Haynes are the only ones close to ACC level size. We have exactly one DT over 300. We are blessed with playmakers, but when we play the elite teams we give away size. Just my two cents worth.

Ja’sir had a rough night. I thought they picked on him most of the night. On one of the TD receptions we got caught in a bad coverage with 2 defenders for 3 receivers. Somebody was out of positition. We looked confused at the line of scrimmage. I like Greer. He needs more reps & maybe more of the Fr DHS like Kenneth Dicks. Still have to get some pressure on the QB.

All in on Hartman. We do need to find a place for Hinton & maybe some reps at the Wildcat or WildDeac.

Ja’sir had a rough night. I thought they picked on him most of the night. On one of the TD receptions we got caught in a bad coverage with 2 defenders for 3 receivers. Somebody was out of positition. We looked confused at the line of scrimmage. I like Greer. He needs more reps & maybe more of the Fr DHS like Kenneth Dicks. Still have to get some pressure on the QB.

The TE score and long late one to Smith were both on Kemp. Both were slow developing. He spent a lot of route time peeking into the backfield and couldn't catch up wintertime. Great punt block though.

I think all of the lbs & dbs got caught cheating on the run & watching the qb. Ja’sir cheated to the inside & had a bad angle on Dillon on the first running score. If he had stayed wide he could have turned Dillon to the inside where he had help. We were so focused on getting to Dillon.

If our o-line doesn't start doing a much better job at pass protection we would be better off having Hinton back there - when he has to run for his life he is fast enough and shifty enough to break some of those for big plays.

I don’t have any interest in handing the keys to the offense to a player that was the heir apparent and couldn’t bother to not get suspended.

Back