• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

A couple of those plays today reminded me just how explosive Hinton is. He has to be on the field in some capacity. If not, we are wasting what may be our most explosive player (if not first he's a very close second).

Hinton should be the guy, but he won't be. Surprising since he beat out Wolford twice I believe.

I agree. Poor Hartman needs to spend the rest of the year in the weight room if he’s going to have to run so much. He’s going to get killed in the RPO this year. He is an excellent passer when he has time to throw. He’s tough too. Save his true freshman year.

Everyone in my section was yelling to give Hinton a series or two, including a family who apparently had some sort of relationship with Hartman (or at least knew him/liked him). Hinton was the starter going into the season before he got suspended. Why in the hell would we not at least give him a shot to win the job back?

Clawson said Hartman will play QB vs Rice, so those wanting him to redshirt its not happening. Next week we should be able to have a feel good game where Wake looks good and wins convincingly, but after that its all downhill. We will, with no doubt in my mind, have by far the worst defense in the ACC this year.

I thought Newman was impressive outside of 1 throw. He is a grown man running it.

I thought Newman was impressive outside of 1 throw. He is a grown man running it.

Agree. Today's game was tough to assess from a qb perspective. I really like hartman and think he's going to be a very good player for us. But he was by far the least effective qb for us today. Newman and obviously Hinton can run it. Newman is huge and can take the physical punishment apparently to be expected in acc contests. Hinton is as quick and elusive as any player in the country. Hartman is small and not particularly quick. For him to be effective, he has to be accurate. He decidedly was not today. He was under intense pressure all day and understandably was probably a little rattled. So Newman and Hinton looked better. That said, they played in garbage time. So I don't really know what to make of the qb situation at this point. Clawson said Hartman didn't lose his job today. I think it would be foolish not to consider the other options but what do I know. (nothing)

I wish we’d give Newman or Hinton the start next week and let Hartman sit it out and see how it goes. If it’s obvious Hartman needs to be the guy he can come in the game, if not preserve his redshirt. I liked what I saw out of Newman today, even the pick wasn’t terrible, just underthrew it a bit. There’s a reason why the prototypical QB now is 220lbs+ and 6’3”+. We’ve finally got one, let’s see what he can do. As someone stated, if our offense is going to have to be so QB run heavy, I think Newman is better suited.

I wish we’d give Newman or Hinton the start next week and let Hartman sit it out and see how it goes. If it’s obvious Hartman needs to be the guy he can come in the game, if not preserve his redshirt. I liked what I saw out of Newman today, even the pick wasn’t terrible, just underthrew it a bit. There’s a reason why the prototypical QB now is 220lbs+ and 6’3”+. We’ve finally got one, let’s see what he can do. As someone stated, if our offense is going to have to be so QB run heavy, I think Newman is better suited.

I don't disagree; however, if Clawson really thinks that Hartman is the best QB going forward, then you definitely need to play him against Rice. He needs to get his confidence back, and he needs all the game experience he can get. Basically, whoever is deemed to be the QB going forward is who needs to start against Rice.

Hartman needs a year to study and increase his strength, IMO. Newman is the 1st pro size QB we have had since Leak and he looks ready to play. It would be interesting to see him play at least the first half next week.

Hartman needs a year to study and increase his strength, IMO. Newman is the 1st pro size QB we have had since Leak and he looks ready to play. It would be interesting to see him play at least the first half next week.

I agree. I would like to see Newman get an opportunity next week.

Like it or not, Clawson has a QB controversy. I was disappointed that Hinton was not allowed to play QB after his TD run. Still Newman was playing well enough to argue that he deserved to stay in the game.

If Hartman is not going to redshirt, we have a legitimate debate concerning who should get more playing time. Sam no longer seems like the clear undisputed choice.

Like it or not, Clawson has a QB controversy. I was disappointed that Hinton was not allowed to play QB after his TD run. Still Newman was playing well enough to argue that he deserved to stay in the game.

If Hartman is not going to redshirt, we have a legitimate debate concerning who should get more playing time. Sam no longer seems like the clear undisputed choice.

I think the redshirt rule is all the more reason to give Newman or even Hinton the start next week. If either of them play well, then we can still redshirt Hartman and not feel like if we don’t play him we’ve wasted a year. He’s already got valuable experience this year even if he doesn’t play another down.

Sam never was. He wasn't after spring game and won the competition this summer after Newman got injured. He's showed great flashes of being able to control a game but has also made several crucial mistakes which has always been coach's dilemma. In fact, all of them have the same kind of resume. I'd love to preserve a year of Hartman's eligibility if we can since he may not be our best option at this point.

I think this QB controversy talk is insane. Hartman routinely makes throws that nobody on the roster is capable of making. If our plan is to just mash the QB into the line of scrimmage then Hinton/Newman is the answer. If we want to ignore the biggest strength on this team (WRs) then they’re the answer. Sam struggled today against a top 10 team who was constantly in his face, but to say the other two should start over him is ridiculous and short sighted.

I think Sam will be the better QB in time but right now Kendall Hinton needs to be the guy. Kendall has the tools and needs to start and play vs. Rice. Don't waste Kendall as a receiver.

Hinton has the strongest arm on the team, and is by far the best runner of the 3. Our WR don't really seem to be getting much separation on the short routes (due to teams crowding the box), so why not let someone air it out more? I like Hartman a lot and think he will be a very good Wake QB, but it seems borderline insane not to give our preseason starter a chance to start moving forward, especially when it could give us another year of Hartman.

I'm terrified that Hinton is going to grad transfer to another ACC team and torch us next year. Such is life as a Wake fan.

I think Sam will be the better QB in time but right now Kendall Hinton needs to be the guy. Kendall has the tools and needs to start and play vs. Rice. Don't waste Kendall as a receiver.

I think that this is correct. Defenses would not be able to throw caution to the wind in coming after Hinton. He needs more that 9 or 10 touches per game.

I think this QB controversy talk is insane. Hartman routinely makes throws that nobody on the roster is capable of making. If our plan is to just mash the QB into the line of scrimmage then Hinton/Newman is the answer. If we want to ignore the biggest strength on this team (WRs) then they’re the answer. Sam struggled today against a top 10 team who was constantly in his face, but to say the other two should start over him is ridiculous and short sighted.

I saw a young QB seeing the speed of the game catching up to him so he hurried throws and was inaccurate all day. Hinton would have scored easily on the slant Hartman threw behind him. He definitely showed escapability in the open field that we have seen for the last two years on the option. Very surprised he didn't get another QB sniff after the TD. I hope we can see more 4 wides but today it was a TE split out. Targeting a bigger dose of Sage, Torch, Bachman, Scotty, Claude and Hinton rather than Chapman and Freud.

Back