• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

I think Sam will be the better QB in time but right now Kendall Hinton needs to be the guy. Kendall has the tools and needs to start and play vs. Rice. Don't waste Kendall as a receiver.

Unless Dave is playing more mind games or the long con, he seemed clear today that Hinton is not in future QB plans anymore. It was getting to garbage time but very stunned not to see him again after the score if there was any thought he needed reps moving forward.

Hinton is pretty clearly done as a QB during his time at WF.

Hinton is pretty clearly done as a QB during his time at WF.

Dave maybe doing him a favor now that we have some depth and QB alternatives by giving him a path to playing time as her certainly was never going to play QB after college. Armani Edwards made some coin by grabbing it instead of slinging it.

Our freshman QB didn’t have a great game against a Top 10 team?

Look around at what else happened in college football today. The sky isn’t falling nearly as much as some of y’all think.

Our freshman QB didn’t have a great game against a Top 10 team?

Look around at what else happened in college football today. The sky isn’t falling nearly as much as some of y’all think.

I’m not sure what you mean. I look around college football today and see teams like ODU, Army, UK, and Purdue step up and play well in games in which they were supposedly overmatched. And I’m wondering why we can’t.

We can’t because our Defense is terrible.

But our Freshman QB having a terrible game against a Top 10 team isn’t reason to automatically redshirt him.

I trust Clawson offensively. The Defense needs some serious shakeups.

Hartman could be a great QB.

Haven't seen much of Newman, but given how close the competition was maybe he could be a great QB too.

Hinton IS a solid QB.

Clawson has to figure out which one he wants. To do that, he's got to figure out what he wants from the QB position. Through 4 games, Hartman has run the ball 49 times (57 att minus 8 sacks). Newman ran 8 times today and Hinton ran once. Our QBs have 58 carries. Colburn has 58 carries and Carney has 66.

If Clawson wants the QB to run as much as our starting RB, he really should consider starting Newman or Hinton, a power rusher or a dynamic rusher.

Haven't seen much of Newman, but given how close the competition was maybe he could be a great QB too.

Hinton IS a solid QB.

Clawson has to figure out which one he wants. To do that, he's got to figure out what he wants from the QB position. Through 4 games, Hartman has run the ball 49 times (57 att minus 8 sacks). Newman ran 8 times today and Hinton ran once. Our QBs have 58 carries. Colburn has 58 carries and Carney has 66.

If Clawson wants the QB to run as much as our starting RB, he really should consider starting Newman or Hinton, a power rusher or a dynamic rusher.

This is exactly how I see it. Newman can bulldoze people. Hinton is fast and shifty. Hartman is a punching bag at this point compared to them. He is most likely the best pure QB, but we haven't seen it yet in accuracy numbers. I saw a stat this week on Reddit ranking all the P5 QBs by QBR. He was like 55/64. So if he isn't accurate and appears to be the third best runner at this point then why not RS him and save him a year to bulk up and get more accurate? It seems pretty logical to me.

Hartman is 68/123 (55.3%). Almost half of his completions (31) came against Tulane which was ironically our lowest scoring game.

Hinton IS a solid QB.

Hartman is keeping the ball far too much and running. Needs to cut it down by about a third or 40%. The RBs can take the pounding and there will be more of a surprise factor. There were about 5 or 6 times yesterday where he kept it and got mauled

Last edited:
There were a couple times in the game Carney was about to get in a serious rhythm only to have Hartman RPO his own number. Sometimes back to back. Here is a question. Is the opposing defense purposely making our QB READ quarterback keep? Is Hartman mis READING the defense? Carney gashed the ND defense several times, only to be followed by the frail Hartman running the ball over and over. Maybe we need to go I formation, huddle, and run the fucking ball the old fashion way.

There were a couple times in the game Carney was about to get in a serious rhythm only to have Hartman RPO his own number. Sometimes back to back. Here is a question. Is the opposing defense purposely making our QB READ quarterback keep? Is Hartman mis READING the defense? Carney gashed the ND defense several times, only to be followed by the frail Hartman running the ball over and over. Maybe we need to go I formation, huddle, and run the fucking ball the old fashion way.

We don’t do quick hitting run plays.

Of course they are, that is how any defense would defend any RPO. Unless the QB is Lamar Jackson, the least attractive option for the offense is almost always going to be the QB running the ball, and that is what the defense is trying to force. No different than when defending a normal run option or triple option the defense's goal is to first take away the option pitches so that the QB is left running it. That's no secret. The offense can still clearly be effective with a guy like Wolford who could throw it well and also learned how to run without getting killed, but Hartman isn't at that level yet.

We can’t because our Defense is terrible.

But our Freshman QB having a terrible game against a Top 10 team isn’t reason to automatically redshirt him.

I trust Clawson offensively. The Defense needs some serious shakeups.

The OL isn't as good as we thought either. Losing the best OL at LT obviously hurt, but it remains an experienced group. Pass protection in particular. Run blocking has been ok.

This was odd.

Hinton IS a solid QB.

Hinton is a solid QB now. The question to me is whether he's going to get the opportunity to improve on solid in his 3rd and 4th years that Wolford got, or is he going to be wasted being Dortch's back up like Hines was being wasted before Dortch got hurt. After all, Hinton had Wolford beat out before his own injury, and is certainly one of the most explosive players Clawson has had here. Wasn't Clawson bemoaning lack of explosive plays last week?

Hinton is a solid QB now. The question to me is whether he's going to get the opportunity to improve on solid in his 3rd and 4th years that Wolford got, or is he going to be wasted being Dortch's back up like Hines was being wasted before Dortch got hurt. After all, Hinton had Wolford beat out before his own injury, and is certainly one of the most explosive players Clawson has had here. Wasn't Clawson bemoaning lack of explosive plays last week?

I made this point earlier this year. Had Hinton not been suspended he would’ve been the guy, now that he is back and Hartman has struggled against good competition, why should Hinton not get a shot back at QB? Also, if we’re going to run the ball with the QB a lot and our pass pro isn’t that good why not use Newman or Hinton who are both better suited for that than Hartman?

This.

I made this point earlier this year. Had Hinton not been suspended he would’ve been the guy, now that he is back and Hartman has struggled against good competition, why should Hinton not get a shot back at QB? Also, if we’re going to run the ball with the QB a lot and our pass pro isn’t that good why not use Newman or Hinton who are both better suited for that than Hartman?
and this.

This is exactly how I see it. Newman can bulldoze people. Hinton is fast and shifty. Hartman is a punching bag at this point compared to them. He is most likely the best pure QB, but we haven't seen it yet in accuracy numbers. I saw a stat this week on Reddit ranking all the P5 QBs by QBR. He was like 55/64. So if he isn't accurate and appears to be the third best runner at this point then why not RS him and save him a year to bulk up and get more accurate? It seems pretty logical to me.
Very logical, yes.

Back