• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

Apparently, Clawson lacks trust in Hinton. At best, he’s the 3rd string guy. Hinton has the skills that we need, but is still being punished for his transgressions. With the lack of trust, maybe Clawson is afraid he’ll get another strike and be gone for good like Cole, the TE.

I was fully on the Newman bandwagon to start the season but I really like Hartman. He seems like he might be dinged up a bit. Unless we have full plans to redshirt him, which doesn’t seem to be in the plans at all, then I like Hartman at QB for the year.

Main gripe with Hartman now is he’s making poor reads sometimes, but the only reason I believe we notice it a lot and think it happens often is because Wolford essentially never made the wrong read.

Last edited:
From Clawson's post-game presser:

- Sam is still the #1 (obvious that there are no plans to redshirt him)
- Jamie and Kendall played well
- In his system, more than 1 QB is going to play
- The offense is the least of WF problems

Unless Hartman's injuries go beyond cramping (and that's all Clawson said it was), expect Hartman to start next Saturday. Would also expect either/or Newman and Hinton to see time at QB as part of the gameplan.

The QB issue is interesting, but the bottom line is unless the defense improves from horrid to at least below average; it's not going to matter who gets the majority of the snaps at QB. WF avergaged 31 ppg and 450+ yards against BC and ND and neither game was competitive in the 4th quarter.

We were down 7 and our defense had a 3rd and 9 against BC in the 4th quarter - kind of ridiculous to equate it to the Notre Dame 4th quarter and call both non-competitive.

Backup QB's are always the most popular players on the team, especially when they put up a few nice plays in garbage time like Hinton/Clemson last year or Newman (kinda, I guess) yesterday.

I wish Hartman had hit Hinton on that crossing route - would have been a TD and showed the potential of Hinton at receiver. If the line can protect Hartman and he's got Dortch/Hinton/Suratt/Washington to throw to it's pretty much an ideal situation. Solid RB play so far - even if we're not firing on all cylinders against a top 10 defense the offense isn't the problem nor should there be any talk about switching QB's. We're either going to find a way to play better defense or the season will be a disappointment.

We were down 7 and our defense had a 3rd and 9 against BC in the 4th quarter - kind of ridiculous to equate it to the Notre Dame 4th quarter and call both non-competitive.

Backup QB's are always the most popular players on the team, especially when they put up a few nice plays in garbage time like Hinton/Clemson last year or Newman (kinda, I guess) yesterday.

I wish Hartman had hit Hinton on that crossing route - would have been a TD and showed the potential of Hinton at receiver. If the line can protect Hartman and he's got Dortch/Hinton/Suratt/Washington to throw to it's pretty much an ideal situation. Solid RB play so far - even if we're not firing on all cylinders against a top 10 defense the offense isn't the problem nor should there be any talk about switching QB's. We're either going to find a way to play better defense or the season will be a disappointment.

BC scored TDs on 3 of its first 4 drives of the 2nd half. The 3rd 2nd half TD made it 41-27 with 8:48 to go. The game was non-competitive at that point. BC no longer tried to score than just ran clock their last two possessions. Watching that game, there was little doubt that if BC needed to score again, they could've.

I guess you can’t think this way as a coach, but it seems pretty evident a lower tier bowl game is now our ceiling (which is of course the roof). Wouldn’t we rather have a RSr Hartman trying to make an orange bowl run rather than use a full year of eligibility trying to eek out a bid to Detroit?

I guess you can’t think this way as a coach, but it seems pretty evident a lower tier bowl game is now our ceiling (which is of course the roof). Wouldn’t we rather have a RSr Hartman trying to make an orange bowl run rather than use a full year of eligibility trying to eek out a bid to Detroit?

Yes. Absolutely.

We wasted a year on Wolford when we could have him leading this team.

BC scored TDs on 3 of its first 4 drives of the 2nd half. The 3rd 2nd half TD made it 41-27 with 8:48 to go. The game was non-competitive at that point. BC no longer tried to score than just ran clock their last two possessions. Watching that game, there was little doubt that if BC needed to score again, they could've.

Strange post, agrees with what I posted then somehow doubles down on being correct. The 3rd and 9 TD play effectively ended the game, which is the point I was making. As BC proved this week they are not the omniscient monolith you're painting them as. This was a tie game at half, a 4 point game in the 3rd, Wake got down 10 in the 4th and immediately drove the 5 but had to settle for a field goal. Defense was one play away from a stop that would have given the offense the ball back down 7.

You don't "know" that BC simply could have scored whenever they wanted to in that scenario and that our offense never would have scored the tying TD, but that's LOWF thinking hard at work. Push reasonable disappointment into sky-is-falling territory whenever possible.

While playing so fast appears to be good for the offense, it is really terrible for our defense. We've got to slow the game down a little and limit the amount of time our D is on the field.

I dont know the stats off hand, but our Red Zone TD scoring seems lacking. Even if you keep Hartman as the guy, I think you've got to be prepared to use Hinton & Newman in some RZ packages. Hartman's limited running ability (both speed and RPO decision) seem to bog us down in the Red Zone.

I think Clawson is in a really interesting position here...he's never stayed at a program long enough to sustain success. Historically he would be gone by now to another rebuilding job at a bigger program. There's definitely a difference in building a successful program and maintaining one...this QB situation may be the difference in short vs long term success.

Hinton played the entire game against Clemson last year, the best team any of these guys have ever faced, at the toughest venue any of these guys have ever played in, and had 92 yards rushing and 203 yards passing with 0 interceptions.

Hinton played the entire game against Clemson last year, the best team any of these guys have ever faced, at the toughest venue any of these guys have ever played in, and had 92 yards rushing and 203 yards passing with 0 interceptions.

Was thinking about that game this morning. And how a 28-14 loss to a top 10 team sounds really good right now (#LOWF).

Wasn't Clemson up like 28-7 at one point and then just put their backups in and ran the ball? Probably could've easily scored another couple TDs.

Clemson's third string defense isn't the "best team any of these guys have ever faced" but it's the only thing Hinton had any real success against that day. It was 28-0 in the 4th.

Last edited:
Hinton had a lot of good balls against Clemson dropped in the first half. He played well against the 1’s. Actually got me excited for this year.

Hinton had a lot of good balls against Clemson dropped in the first half. He played well against the 1’s. Actually got me excited for this year.

Everyone agrees Hartman should not play a single snap against Rice. We will be 25 point favorites and win 30-20 and our defense will look terrible again.

There is nothing more deceiving than Hinton's stat line from that Clemson game.

In the course of Clemson going up 28-0, Hinton: 7-for-21, 142 yards, 0 ints. | 16 carries, 29 yards. He hit a 43-yard "pass" to Dortch, which was really a slant that Greg ran for about 35 yards, and he hit a 38-yard pass to Chuck Wade in the second half that I have zero memory of.

2 drives after Clemson was up 28-0, Hinton: 7-for-9, 71 yards, 2 TDs | 8 carries, 63 yards

Clemson subbed liberally after they scored TDs on the first two possessions. When they scored the other two TDs, they basically had every defensive starter out other than Dexter Lawrence (which seems really crazy, because he played last year at 40 percent).

There is nothing more deceiving than Hinton's stat line from that Clemson game.

In the course of Clemson going up 28-0, Hinton: 7-for-21, 142 yards, 0 ints. | 16 carries, 29 yards. He hit a 43-yard "pass" to Dortch, which was really a slant that Greg ran for about 35 yards, and he hit a 38-yard pass to Chuck Wade in the second half that I have zero memory of.

2 drives after Clemson was up 28-0, Hinton: 7-for-9, 71 yards, 2 TDs | 8 carries, 63 yards

Clemson subbed liberally after they scored TDs on the first two possessions. When they scored the other two TDs, they basically had every defensive starter out other than Dexter Lawrence (which seems really crazy, because he played last year at 40 percent).

How DARE you provide facts that blows up the narrative Hinton was Cam Newton against Clemson last year. I personally think if we are going to continue to run the RPO, Newman or Hinton should be the QB but let's not go all gaga over the Clemson game last year

Back