• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

If our o-line doesn't start doing a much better job at pass protection we would be better off having Hinton back there - when he has to run for his life he is fast enough and shifty enough to break some of those for big plays.
Much better? What game are some of you watching? The pass protection was fine on Thursday. Not great but fine. Hartman is running for his life because he decides to on some plays, not because he has to. He needs to step up into the pocket rather than just breaking outside at the first sign of pressure. He'll learn.

Wake gambled defensively forcing BC to beat us with vertical passing versus running the ball, and they did it. Our front 7 not getting pressure and stopping the run is not helping our DB's. We need to find a way to get pressure on the QB someway. Brown had way too much time on those play action passes.

This is not exclusively a DB deal. The front 7 has to apply more pressure by using some exotic blitzes.

I'd like to see what Hinton can do at least a series or two. It's crystal clear that Hartman was rattled after his interceptions the other night. It did remind me of Wofford a few years ago.

Hinton's big play ability

No QB controversy -- this is Sam's team unless he get hurt. End of story

When keeping ball IIRC Sam has yet to be tackled for loss . The question is how many of Sam's carries would have been explosive plays by Hinton? Will he be given a few series against ND. At the end of BC 1st half, where we were pinned down deep in our territory, we went very conservative, 3 running plays. How effective would Hinton have been on that series?

We will find out Clawson's thoughts soon enough.

Unless Newman is injured, I don't see Hinton getting snaps at QB against ND

I always thought Hinton could be good, but at this point, why go backwards with a QB that hasn’t taken a snap in a year and that has been learning a different position?

Sam is clearly the QB of the future and he’s been impressive so far. QB isn’t the issue. LB’s and DB’s and defensive schemes have been borderline bad so far. We fix that and we’re a bowl team.

Much better? What game are some of you watching? The pass protection was fine on Thursday. Not great but fine. Hartman is running for his life because he decides to on some plays, not because he has to. He needs to step up into the pocket rather than just breaking outside at the first sign of pressure. He'll learn.

I disagree. Sure Hartman panicked early some, but defenders were in our backfield early way too often.

I disagree. Sure Hartman panicked early some, but defenders were in our backfield early way too often.
OK, I just disagree with "much better". FSU's O-line is an example of needing to get "much better" at pass protection.

Poor old Loh got triggered yesterday. You just hate to see it.

Wake gambled defensively forcing BC to beat us with vertical passing versus running the ball, and they did it. Our front 7 not getting pressure and stopping the run is not helping our DB's. We need to find a way to get pressure on the QB someway. Brown had way too much time on those play action passes.

This is not exclusively a DB deal. The front 7 has to apply more pressure by using some exotic blitzes.

OUR Coach Clawson seems to disagree. Their experienced and talented O Line plus a Heisman(yes Heisman) candidate required DBs to do their job in coverage as part of the total defensive package. "Get your head around" is not just coaching noise, it really matters.

You were on top of it.

You were on top of it.

I will say I'm not sure it should be Hinton since he looked good at WR. If we're going to be running the QB a ton with a somewhat suspect OL then Newman may be the best bet. He's a big dude.

I will say I'm not sure it should be Hinton since he looked good at WR. If we're going to be running the QB a ton with a somewhat suspect OL then Newman may be the best bet. He's a big dude.

Hinton should only play WR if Dortch can’t play.

I’d like to see Newman start next week. He’s got a combination of size and athletic ability at QB we haven’t had.

I’d be fine with it. We pay Clawson good money to figure out how to use two slots at the same time.

I've always been anti a two qb system but a lot of top teams are doing it now and showing it can work.

Hinton should be the guy, but he won't be. Surprising since he beat out Wolford twice I believe.

Back