• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
This is NO knock on Hartman at all and I have a legitimate question to ask. The biggest knock on Hinton has always been short passing accuracy. We aren't throwing short anyway and Hartman has expected freshman decision making. If we're just running and throwing it deep why not play Hinton and preserve Hartman's RS? He's gotten valuable game experience, but I still trust a 4th/5th year decision making over a first year. I truly expect Hartman to keep playing, and you all may see something different on the short passing situation and that's fine. Just wanted to throw it out there, and emphasize that I think the kid is playing great. However, we were forced to play a TF Wolford and now we aren't reaping the benefits of him still being in the program. If we can RS Sam and keep him an extra year with somewhat equivalent performance then I'm all for it.

Watch Clawson's presser. Our defense is beyond God-awful and he calls it out clearly. The problem is not a young QB. Our defense is putrid.

This is NO knock on Hartman at all and I have a legitimate question to ask. The biggest knock on Hinton has always been short passing accuracy. We aren't throwing short anyway and Hartman has expected freshman decision making. If we're just running and throwing it deep why not play Hinton and preserve Hartman's RS? He's gotten valuable game experience, but I still trust a 4th/5th year decision making over a first year. I truly expect Hartman to keep playing, and you all may see something different on the short passing situation and that's fine. Just wanted to throw it out there, and emphasize that I think the kid is playing great. However, we were forced to play a TF Wolford and now we aren't reaping the benefits of him still being in the program. If we can RS Sam and keep him an extra year with somewhat equivalent performance then I'm all for it.

We are throwing a lot of short, quick passes.

Watch Clawson's presser. Our defense is beyond God-awful and he calls it out clearly. The problem is not a young QB. Our defense is putrid.

I don't think he's a problem at all either! I just would love to have a RS Senior Sam if Hinton is basically a more experienced equal option this year.

Fair, but I'm not sure Sam is much more accurate than Hinton. Maybe I just haven't watched him in a long time and forgotten.

I would hope Clawson considers all options at all positions.

Wake had only 214 yard passing on 20 completions. If you subtract three long completions (22, 26, 32 yards) then Wake had 17 pass completions that accounted for 134 yards. Less than 8 yards per completion. Much of Wake passing game is based on short completions and getting high percentage of those passes caught. Not Hinton's strength.

I’m interested in this discussion too. Hinton has a history of running our offense well and throwing a really good deep ball. I feel like we should give Hinton a chance again to take the offense, just because it would be silly to waste a redshirt year on Hartman when it’s clear this season won’t be anything super special because of how bad our defense is.

I would be in favor of letting Hinton play several series at QB in the next couple of games, just so we can see if there is a drop off in offensive production. If not, then he takes over and we salvage the redshirt year for Hartman, while having gotten him really good game experience.

I’m interested in this discussion too. Hinton has a history of running our offense well and throwing a really good deep ball. I feel like we should give Hinton a chance again to take the offense, just because it would be silly to waste a redshirt year on Hartman when it’s clear this season won’t be anything super special because of how bad our defense is.

I would be in favor of letting Hinton play several series at QB in the next couple of games, just so we can see if there is a drop off in offensive production. If not, then he takes over and we salvage the redshirt year for Hartman, while having gotten him really good game experience.

It's tough. We have one game to decide that. If Hinton somehow gets hurt again then it was a waste unless Newman can take the job.

Wake had only 214 yard passing on 20 completions. If you subtract three long completions (22, 26, 32 yards) then Wake had 17 pass completions that accounted for 134 yards. Less than 8 yards per completion. Much of Wake passing game is based on short completions and getting high percentage of those passes caught. Not Hinton's strength.

But how many of the incompletions were also long? I could be wrong but felt like a lot. If we're throwing long a lot then Hinton is an option.

I think what shortcoming you may be attributing to accuracy could be a number of other things involved with inexperience. A lot of what we saw against Tulane were timing routes. That's on the QB's ability to deliver, and Rugerio's ability to call plays/understand his QB.
It's very hard to get off of your first read as a freshman, so the fact that we had so many successful one hitters is an attribute to both Rugerio and Hartman. Throwing into double coverage happens at the highest levels, let alone when you are a freshman and are tempted by an All-ACC caliber WR, along with 2 other very skilled ones that could get their number called at any time. They're bad decisions, but they' it's ok if our QB isn't ready to take advantage of all his weapons. The real takeaway is that our freshman QB, and string of underclass WR's (and RB's) keep hanging points on solid defenses such as BC, despite injuries on the OL.

Last edited:
I love Sam but Hinton is such an explosive player that I'd love to see him to get a shot. With Dortch, Washington, Bachman, Surrat and Claude, a great deep ball is a tremendous weapon and if he decides instead to tuck and run, there will be many 15-20 yd scrambles available.

Sam played like a freshman last night, instead of a senior. He was under a lot of pressure most of the night, as BC has a good DL. Sam seemed a bit flustered but he needs to learn to use some touch. Most of his incompletions happen when he rifles the ball when the receiver is too close to him for that strong a throw. But our receivers did not get great separation last night; we were well scouted by BC.
The last interception was a killer, no idea what he saw or didn't see.

Hartman is our future. He needs to be playing. He is also a freshman. There will be bumps along the way, especially when he feels the pressure to score every drive with a shitty defense.

they both should play some at qb. let the better man win.

It’s a fair question. As Ph notes i’m sure Claw is thinking it thru. Tell tale sign will be if we get down a bunch against ND - what does he do...?

I had this same thought leaving last night, with Kendall coming off suspension and Hartman still being able to redshirt, should we consider it? He can always play if Hinton and Newman get injured. I think it’s worth thinking about with the new redshirt rules.

There's a lot of 'grass is greener' thinking going on here. Hinton is being sold as a better passer than he was. Hartman throws a great deep ball, in addition to being able to throw the quick ones and run/scramble when needed. As much as I hate the fade, he throws an amazing fade. He also sold the RPO well, leading to open passes, at times last night. Hinton being able to create himself is a different dynamic, but I'm not convinced it's a net positive. Our offense is working.

Last edited:
I keep thinking Hartman is not going to survive some of these runs he’s making. He is really tough but he is taking some shots.

Hartman is the guy. I do like the idea of Hinton playing in some goal-to-go situations, though. Last night was the first time I've seen Hartman seem a little rattled, but he battled through it. I thought BC did a great job on Dortch. He seemed to be double teamed a lot.

Back