• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Legit QB Convo

I think if the QB competition was close and Hartman won due to injuries, based on what we’ve seen from both, the competition should remain open.

I think it does remain open; nothing is set is stone for our head coach. Clawson dumped his DC 4 games into the season; Clawson is not going to stick with Hartman simply because he started games 1 through 4. Have no doubt that Newman will get multiple chances to play the rest of the way. Whomever gives WF the best chance to win will play.

So you think Newman will play meaningful snaps?

Or maybe Clawson thought Newman's injuries wasn't as bad as he was saying and Hartman was the only QB that manned up through out the summer camp.

So you think Newman will play meaningful snaps?

Yes. Maybe not against Rice because WF may (or may not) jump out to a big early lead, but Clawson won't hesitate to use Newman if/when Hartman struggles in upcoming games.

I still would prefer the 4th year player, and likely 2nd most athletic/dynamic player on the team to start at QB. It really frustrates me to think there's a good chance we may never see Hinton again at QB (in a starting/meaningful role).

true

What indication is there that Coach Clawson does not allow open competition for playing time (or coaching time :) )? I disagree strongly that Clawson is somehow not allowing there to be open competition for playing time at any position. But that doesn't mean that everyone will agree with Coach Clawson on who should play.

So if you think someone else should start at QB, just say so.

However, I do think that Clawson decided a while a go that Hinton would not be part of the competition for starting QB. I think he has his own good reasons for making that decision and it's Hinton's fault that he finds himself in that position. Hinton seems to be managing the situation in a mature fashion.

It might even be in Hinton's interest to play another position than QB. I don't think he ever had any hope of playing at the next level as a QB. But if he uses his considerable athletic talent to become a good slot receiver then he might have a small chance of playing on Sundays.

Also, I do think that Hinton is not completely out of the picture as a QB. He might have to play QB because of injuries and we might see him used as a QB in special situations (wildcat, red zone).

At 6-0, 195 he has OK size for an NFL wide receiver. As a QB, that is small to unacceptable for measurables.

What indication is there that Coach Clawson does not allow open competition for playing time (or coaching time :) )? I disagree strongly that Clawson is somehow not allowing there to be open competition for playing time at any position. But that doesn't mean that everyone will agree with Coach Clawson on who should play.

So if you think someone else should start at QB, just say so.

However, I do think that Clawson decided a while a go that Hinton would not be part of the competition for starting QB. I think he has his own good reasons for making that decision and it's Hinton's fault that he finds himself in that position. Hinton seems to be managing the situation in a mature fashion.

It might even be in Hinton's interest to play another position than QB. I don't think he ever had any hope of playing at the next level as a QB. But if he uses his considerable athletic talent to become a good slot receiver then he might have a small chance of playing on Sundays.

Also, I do think that Hinton is not completely out of the picture as a QB. He might have to play QB because of injuries and we might see him used as a QB in special situations (wildcat, red zone).

Seems to my reading that most here are saying whom they would prefer a QB. Last year several fans promoted Hinton for QB but Clawson stuck with Wolford with very good results. Fans get to criticize and the coach gets to deliver the goods or not. Clawson delivered last year. He'll likely deliver again with HIS choice at QB but fans still can believe more in the guy on the bench who the coach ain't playing. It certainly isn't LOWF style thought.

It should also be noted that none of us know what Clawson may have promised Hartman. Easily could have promised Hartman he wouldn’t redshirt him if he committed to us. That’s important for a lot of recruits.

It should also be noted that none of us know what Clawson may have promised Hartman. Easily could have promised Hartman he wouldn’t redshirt him if he committed to us. That’s important for a lot of recruits.
Seems unlikely. It's not like Hartman came to campus really highly rated and expecting to be the starter. He probably assumed he would be competing for 2nd string.

I don't think Clawson makes promises like this. At all.

Only promise I think he makes is "I promise that if you come in here, work your ass off, and out perform the others, you will play."

Only promise I think he makes is "I promise that if you come in here, work your ass off, and out perform the others, you will play."

I think this is correct. I seriously doubt that Clawson would pledge to play any true freshman. I can see him offering a legitimate chance to earn playing time or even a starting position without any guarantees. I can also see him telling recruits that there is a 95% likelihood that they will red shirt.

I think this is correct. I seriously doubt that Clawson would pledge to play any true freshman. I can see him offering a legitimate chance to earn playing time or even a starting position without any guarantees. I can also see him telling recruits that there is a 95% likelihood that they will red shirt.

75% is probably the realistic number. Wake has had 4 or 5 true freshmen play a lot most years under Clawson. Some positions more likely than others to play right away.

Seems unlikely. It's not like Hartman came to campus really highly rated and expecting to be the starter. He probably assumed he would be competing for 2nd string.

Hope you guys are right. I trust Clawson but I sure as hell would like to see Newman and Hinton have a chance to play with the first string, especially Hinton. The only justification I can see for not playing Hinton is that maybe he doesn't make good reads with the RPO. With the offense we run, you'd think he'd be a perfect fit.

Back