• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Andrew Sullivan: America Desperately Needs a Healthy Conservatism

Please point out where I said it was acceptable for a husband to cheat on his wife.

So Mrs. McCain #1 was shocked when her husband asked her for a divorce. Do you consider that to be unusual?

Your initial statement about the divorce infers that either he divorced her when she became handicapped or because she was handicapped. Which is it?
Neither. I think cheating on a handicapped wife that stuck by you for years while you were gone and possibly dead, is worse than normal infedility, but whatever, thats not a sticking point for me
...They separated in January, 1980 and John filed for divorce in February 1980, 10 months after he started seeing Cindy, who became wife #2. If those circumstances make John an incredible asshole...

John "seeing" Cindy for 10 months before he seperated from Carol

makes John an incredible asshole...

Any other questions about my reading comprehension? Or do you maybe want to let this one go?

Neither. I think cheating on a handicapped wife that stuck by you for years while you were gone and possibly dead, is worse than normal infedility, but whatever, thats not a sticking point for me

John "seeing" Cindy for 10 months before he seperated from Carol

Any other questions about my reading comprehension? Or do you maybe want to let this one go?

I’m sure there are things you have done in your life like everyone else that fall squarely in the dick/asshole ballpark. It doesn’t mean it is fair for me to call you an asshole though, or judge events I don’t understand because I wasn’t a part of them.

I’m sure there are things you have done in your life like everyone else that fall squarely in the dick/asshole ballpark. It doesn’t mean it is fair for me to call you an asshole though, or judge events I don’t understand because I wasn’t a part of them.
I listed 3 seperate events, one involved defrauding thousands of people out of their life savings, another involved calling his second wife a trollop and cunt...in front of journalists.

I'm pretty sure I've never done anything that would "fall squarely in the dick/asshole ballpark". Please explain what that feels like.

Thanks for the help.

The difference is that McCain was a public servant, and was being lionized by a bullshit narrative, while disregarding all of his terribleness. If mdmh runs for Congress, wins, and kills thousands of brown people, fair game to call him an asshole.

If there exists such a thing as “healthy conservatism” then it’s logical to think there are leaders or politicians who subscribe to it or have in some recent era. So, if those adherents to healthy conservatism exist, why are they all getting ready to confirm a partisan hack, sexual assaulter that wants to take away reproductive rights?

Again, NED posts the thread and pretends to be one of the good guys, then runs away from any debate. Comes back at the first big Trump news to share resistance tweets, ignoring that at its core, conservative ideology is complicit in all of this.

If there exists such a thing as “healthy conservatism” then it’s logical to think there are leaders or politicians who subscribe to it or have in some recent era. So, if those adherents to healthy conservatism exist, why are they all getting ready to confirm a partisan hack, sexual assaulter that wants to take away reproductive rights?

Again, NED posts the thread and pretends to be one of the good guys, then runs away from any debate. Comes back at the first big Trump news to share resistance tweets, ignoring that at its core, conservative ideology is complicit in all of this.

You nailed it MHB. Brilliant.

Dude I literally do not have the time to sit here and debate every esoteric point that is made on this board. Especially when you derail a thread to debate the merits of John McCain for the umpteenth time.

If you haven’t noticed, I mostly share shit I find interesting and/or thought provoking, rail against Donald Trump and follow the Russia/Mueller investigation closely. And if time allows, I’ll gladly engage in some back and forth.

But I have zero desire to engage with posters who have incredibly aggressive posting styles such as yourself. It is a monumental time suck.

There’s nothing really wrong with what you do except you try to sell yourself as an ally when you are not. So you post an article about “healthy conservatism” and then don’t want to engage in an argument about what “healthy conservatism” is? As soon as conservatism is rehabilitated, you’ll be right back to the same toxic ideology.

Without a healthy conservatism, liberalism will degenerate. Without liberalism, conservatism has no inheritance to defend. And both rich veins in Western moderation are now under assault from the ideological left and the authoritarian right. We have to brave this pincer attack, conservatives and liberals together, or we will die together.

Someone who posted this and took the time to bold it, doesn't have time for such "esoteric" arguments like "John McCain is bad" and "conservatism is trash." Hilarious.

How is Ned going to sleep at night knowing that mhb doesn't consider him an "ally"?

the wonder twins are doing a pretty decent job making every thread about them. not quite to an rj or jh level, but getting there.

keep up the good work!

How is Ned going to sleep at night knowing that mhb doesn't consider him an "ally"?

Probably the same way he slept at night dreaming about busting up unions or the awesome might of the American military.

There’s nothing really wrong with what you do except you try to sell yourself as an ally when you are not. So you post an article about “healthy conservatism” and then don’t want to engage in an argument about what “healthy conservatism” is? As soon as conservatism is rehabilitated, you’ll be right back to the same toxic ideology.

And again...why I don’t engage with you. You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Explain healthy conservatism to me. It shouldnt be hard if you adhere to it.

Someone who posted this and took the time to bold it, doesn't have time for such "esoteric" arguments like "John McCain is bad" and "conservatism is trash." Hilarious.

You are an ignorant fuck

I’d argue there is one major party in US politics who are already behind many of the initiatives laid out here but this is a healthy change in conservative discourse...even if it’s written by one random person.

Back