• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Andrew Sullivan: America Desperately Needs a Healthy Conservatism

I found it to be kind of lacking in details or actual policy. For example:

Instead of running away from these facts, opportunity conservatives will tackle these challenges head-on. We’ll prioritize improving our schools and encourage stronger families. We’ll transform inner-city classrooms into laboratories of opportunity and encourage bold experimentation until we discover the best ways to educate underprivileged kids. We’ll tailor curricula to the skills and flexibility required in a 21st-century economy. In order to make good on America’s promise, every child will need a top-rate school that gives them a fighting chance at success no matter where they live or how much money their parents make.

Uhhh, none of that gives me much idea on what opportunity conservatism would do for education.

The prison reform was a little better, but there are too many people that do not at all agree with this:

We’ll readily acknowledge that it’s in the country’s best interest to have a robust prison-to-work pipeline.

Sorry, I know it's not a shock that I don't agree with most of this, but it mainly boils down to my point of view that the whole reason why the prison industrial complex exists is because of capitalism.

Why can't we just have this debate?

Bernie blamed capitalism

Yeah I agree...it lacks a lot of detail and like I said I would even argue that a lot of what the author put forth is something Democrats are trying to champion (or at least include in their message).

But when the alternative is a message of lies, corruption, overt racism and “Russia please fuck with us”...I’ll take this dudes message any day of the week even if it’s incredibly shallow.

So as one commenter noted, it's basically many of the main tenets of the Democratic Party rebranded as 'Opportunity Conservatism'.

Also, Buckley...kind of a racist. Still begging the question, when did conservatism of a healthy, definitely not-racist, nature exist?

So as one commenter noted, it's basically many of the main tenets of the Democratic Party rebranded as 'Opportunity Conservatism'.

It's been so long since Republicans had actual policy other than just tax cuts. They have to steal it from Democrats.

Back