• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ryder Cup Thread

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
I know it's over a week away, but really looking forward to it. I was listening to Hank Haney's show on XM and he threw the question out to his listeners who from each team would you want in the final match Sunday if the whole thing came down to it? A lot of people were saying Rory for the Euros, but with his putter, I wouldn't go that way. I'm not sure I wouldn't go Poulter based on his past ability to play out of his mind in Ryder Cups. For us, I think I'd go Koepka right now. Dude is a stone cold killer when motivated by the big events. What do you guys think?

Not sure how you can say anyone else other than Patrick Reed after his absolute epic match vs. Rory and stellar performance in last Ryder cup and the passion he brings to the team. That guy was ice and wasn't afraid to stare down and shout down Rory after Rory let out a number of hollers. I guess you could argue you want more of a cool customer vs. passionate player when playing in enemy territory as he wouldn't be able to feed off the crowd, but still hard to vote against him after last cup.

I'm hoping Webb rebounds after his horrific showing 4 years ago. And I think the course fits both his and Poulter's games. They're both short but straight hitters, and that should fit that course well. Both coaches should put them out in 4somes Fri & Sat. I think Furyk should ride Spieth/Reed, DJ/Koepka and Thomas/whoever on Fri & Sat. If there are 2 guys I don't trust on our side, it's Bubba and Phil. I wouldn't consider either of them for 4somes. On the other side, I think Bjorn made a big mistake taking Sergio over either RBC or Pieters. Agree I wouldn't bet on Rory's balky putter and that Poulter might be their most dangerous guy, and it pains me to say it because I despise the guy. I'm interested to see if Bjorn pairs Noren and Stenson in 4somes - they could be a tough duo as really good ball strikers (Noren won there 3 months ago).

Everyone is talking like we're the favorites, and I don't get it. We've been awful on foreign soil, and yeah I know we've made changes for the better, but that Euro team is just as loaded as we are. All of our guys are in the top 30, and 10 of their guys are, with Poulter just outside of it. The other thing is they know the course, whereas Thomas is the only US guy who played there this year, which disappointed me. First, why not familiarize yourself with the course. Second, the late June to July stretch of the French, Irish, Scottish and Open is a month where the Euro tour is way better than what we have to offer during that period.

US pods

Tiger, Phil, Bryson, Reed
Spieth, Dustin, Fowler, Thomas
Brooks, Bubba, Webb, Finau.

Interesting comments from frank nobilo on speith and reed being in different pods.

Those aren't actual pods. They went out in different groups today:

Woods, Thomas, Reed, Spieth
Mickelson, Dechambeau, Watson, Simpson
Johnson, Koepka, Fowler, Finau

Those aren't actual pods. They went out in different groups today:

Woods, Thomas, Reed, Spieth
Mickelson, Dechambeau, Watson, Simpson
Johnson, Koepka, Fowler, Finau

Saw that Furyk was saying these are just practice pods. I assume you'll see guys who practice at least one day together play together, but his goal with the practice pods was to have each group have 1 player who played the course in competition before (I believe the 3 are Koepka, Bryson, Thomas)

Saw that Furyk was saying these are just practice pods. I assume you'll see guys who practice at least one day together play together, but his goal with the practice pods was to have each group have 1 player who played the course in competition before (I believe the 3 are Koepka, Bryson, Thomas)

Not sure why the rest of the guys didn't make the effort to check the course out in tournament condition prior to the RC. Hope it's not an issue

Bubba and Phil playing in foursomes is scary. Maybe they'll sit one of them all day? LOVE the pairings going out though. JT and Speith captain america and the GOAT

Bubba and Phil playing in foursomes is scary. Maybe they'll sit one of them all day? LOVE the pairings going out though. JT and Speith captain america and the GOAT

No, I think this means Bubba and Phil aren't playing at all on day 1. I'm guessing you'll see Phil Saturday morning but may not see Bubba till Sunday unless we have a decent lead - can't remember the US ever doing that, but Europe used to ride their stars and sit their also-rans till Sunday. Think you'll see Webb on both afternoons - he should be valuable in 4somes as a straight hitting par golfer.

Similar situation with Garcia. If he's not playing tomorrow morning, he's not playing till at least Saturday morning. I'm sure you'll see Poulter tomorrow afternoon and at least Saturday afternoon if not all day. Think you'll see Stenson both afternoons. His putter is balky, but he can still hit that 3 wood off the tee pretty straight and is 1 of the most magnificent iron players on tour. I think they probably put him with Rose or Noren in 4somes.

Edited to add then why the eff did Bjorn pick Garcia if he's going to sit him? RCB has RC experience, is a straight hitter and has been 1 of the most consistently solid golfers over the last 3 years. You could have used him in either the morning or afternoon and maybe pair him with Rahm.

Last edited:
Allegedly Phil has been practicing with a Bridgestone ball (Bryson's ball) so they could team up for Foursomes tomorrow afternoon. I don't think we will sit Bubba or anyone until Sunday, but wouldn't mind him sitting all day tomorrow then coming out for Fourball on Saturday.

Allegedly Phil has been practicing with a Bridgestone ball (Bryson's ball) so they could team up for Foursomes tomorrow afternoon. I don't think we will sit Bubba or anyone until Sunday, but wouldn't mind him sitting all day tomorrow then coming out for Fourball on Saturday.

WhyTF would you play Phil in 4somes? Even when he's going well, his scorecard is filled with circles and boxes. Lots of circles and boxes make sense for 4ball when you pair that kind of player with a safer and straighter hitter. If Furyk plays him tomorrow afternoon, then he's probably getting his advice from Hal Sutton. I think it's more likely you see Phil and DeChambeau Saturday morning. And if Tiger has a good morning session, then probably Tiger and DeChambeau tomorrow afternoon - and then rest Tiger 1 session on Saturday.

WhyTF would you play Phil in 4somes? Even when he's going well, his scorecard is filled with circles and boxes. Lots of circles and boxes make sense for 4ball when you pair that kind of player with a safer and straighter hitter. If Furyk plays him tomorrow afternoon, then he's probably getting his advice from Hal Sutton. I think it's more likely you see Phil and DeChambeau Saturday morning. And if Tiger has a good morning session, then probably Tiger and DeChambeau tomorrow afternoon - and then rest Tiger 1 session on Saturday.

Apparently Tiger has told people he is only playing once a day.

Phil is the de facto captain of the team. He ain't going to sit out all day Friday.

Phil is the de facto captain of the team. He ain't going to sit out all day Friday.

Also, the "Phil isn't good at 4balls" narrative has no basis in fact.

For his career in Ryder Cup, he is 5-7-4 in 4somes, 8-8-2 in 4balls, difference of one match.

In the Pres Cup, he is 10-6-3 in 4somes, 8-5-5 in 4balls.

Then whyTF play him in 4ball instead of 4somes? It makes no sense. Edited to add the reason I say this, and why many on TGC have said this, is because he's declined in form and has been wild off the tee over the last few months. Wild off the tee isn't necessarily a liability in 4somes on courses that either have wide fairways or more lenient rough - like Augusta where he's been great. But the primary rough in Paris is thick, and there is lots of water and some hay if you stray too far.

Tim, I saw TGC talking heads speculating yesterday on how much Tiger would play - whether just 3 of maybe 4 sessions. Hadn't heard he had said only 1 per day.

Last edited:
Then whyTF play him in 4ball instead of 4somes? It makes no sense. Edited to add the reason I say this, and why many on TGC have said this, is because he's declined in form and has been wild off the tee over the last few months. Wild off the tee isn't necessarily a liability in 4somes on courses that either have wide fairways or more lenient rough - like Augusta where he's been great. But the primary rough in Paris is thick, and there is lots of water and some hay if you stray too far.

Tim, I saw TGC talking heads speculating yesterday on how much Tiger would play - whether just 3 of maybe 4 sessions. Hadn't heard he had said only 1 per day.

Phil has been a lots of birdies, lots of big numbers, type of player his entire career. It is how he got the nickname Phil the Thrill. Despite this, his career record is basically IDENTICAL in the two formats. 16-13-7 and 15-13-7. Just because the people on GC say something does not mean it has any truth to it, it is just a meaningless appeal to authority.

Phil has been a lots of birdies, lots of big numbers, type of player his entire career. It is how he got the nickname Phil the Thrill. Despite this, his career record is basically IDENTICAL in the two formats. 16-13-7 and 15-13-7. Just because the people on GC say something does not mean it has any truth to it, it is just a meaningless appeal to authority.

And what I'm saying that this is a particular venue where it's more punitive if you're wild. If this were being played at the Belfry, it may not be as big a concern. But TGC guys have been talking for the last 2 days about how important it is to say on the fairway this week.

Back