• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

___________ will be our Defensive Coordinator in '19

TimmyClutch

Reaction score
Didn't see this thread started yet.

Clawson needs to find a DC who has experience working with a fast paced offense. I'd prefer going with someone who is on their way up rather than their way down, but at this point a steady hand may be what the defense needs. I don't necessarily see Clawson looking in-house, as he didn't last time, but looking back I think he may wish he offered Lea the job. I wish Gattis was a DC and not OC, otherwise he would be a great hire.

While there are some names that will get tossed around that are probably out of reach, I think a lot of coaches will look at what Elko has done and realize that this is a good job, and a good place to improve their career. Ultimately, we do not know who will be available come the end of the season, but its always fun to toss names out.

The first name I want to throw out is, Derrick Ansley, currently in his first year as DB's coach for the Raiders, but before that he was secondary coach at Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky. He played at Troy, and has coached extensively in the Southeast. I like him cause he is young, his career is on the upward swing, and he has a history of working with DB's. This is his first NFL job, but his coaching track record is extensively college. DB coach of the Raiders to DC in the ACC is a step up.

Diron Reynolds - DL Coach at Stanford. Wake alum from early 90's.

A lot of it comes down to desired system. Because of how we have recruited personnel, does the new DC have to be familiar with some sort of 4-2-4 w/ a rover? That will influence who we get more than anything. Are we looking at a total revamp of our defensive philosophy or just new system with the same base?

If system doesn't matter, I'd take a look at Knowles at NIU. Their defense has been good and Knowles has experience at NC State.

Guy I grew up with played LB at NCSU and with the giants for a few years. Has been at Stanford, UConn, NCSU. He's now the DC at Western KY. I have no idea if he's great at his job, but he's a terrific guy. Putting my money on Clayton White

I'm hearing Cowher with Parcells in a consulting role.

Name redacted is supposed to be a great assistant for defense..

I would think the next DC would probably need to stick with the 4 down front line. But whether it is the same 4-2-(1)-4 or more traditional 4-3-4 wouldn't be a difficult change. Rovers would fit at LB or SS
Would need to find a true middle linebacker to run a traditional 4-3-4.

If the new DC wanted to run a three down linemen defense, would need to find NT. They are usually older guys who have grown up, not freshmen. Nikita Whitlock was a real outlier.

Back