• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

___________ will be our Defensive Coordinator in '19

Everyone agrees that coaching is not the problem but talent and keeping guys healthy is. We need at least average acc talent and someone who can figure out how to keep them healthy so we have more than two scholarship linebackers healthy for every game. We can’t line up against a below average FSU team needing 45 points to have a chance to win.

Everyone agrees that coaching is not the problem but talent and keeping guys healthy is. We need at least average acc talent and someone who can figure out how to keep them healthy so we have more than two scholarship linebackers healthy for every game. We can’t line up against a below average FSU team needing 45 points to have a chance to win.

Too simplistic. I think we have several issues at the moment. Talent is certainly a huge question mark. However, our DC was just fired for some very good reasons. I think Clawson is the right man for the job but, as he has OPENLY admitted the last few weeks, he has numerous issues to be addressed.

Most of the coaches on the defense have been hired in the last two years and have not worked for Clawson before. Their resumes and interviews may have been good, but the results on the field haven't been good.

Most of the coaches on the defense have been hired in the last two years and have not worked for Clawson before. Their resumes and interviews may have been good, but the results on the field haven't been good.

Though to be fair we appear to have gone from a VERY high end coordinator (ELKO) to some less impressive or up and comers. That's a big step down.

Though to be fair we appear to have gone from a VERY high end coordinator (ELKO) to some less impressive or up and comers. That's a big step down.

Elko is without question 1 of the top 5 D-Coordinators in the NCAA. Have to find a needle in a haystack up-and-coming guy to get something like that again. I'm still a big fan of Bryan Brown at App State and what he has done this year. Troy Reffett from North Texas is putting up a good year too. Clawson may just promote from within, but I'd definitely have Brown drive an hour to at least interview him.

Bronco Mendenhall told his Board of Visitors that UVa only had 25 ACC caliber players. Coaching needs to be given some weight.

DJ Durkin looks like he will be available this off-season, and he is in need of image rehab. However there is the whole player dying thing people would have to be ok with before hiring him.

DJ Durkin looks like he will be available this off-season, and he is in need of image rehab. However there is the whole player dying thing people would have to be ok with before hiring him.

No Maryland guys, they couldn't even get it done in the Big10. Enough with the shitty Big10 coordinators.

Bring back Dean Hood and Brad White; both seem like a good fit to return to WF. Both are kicking arse as assistants at KY (best Wildcat defense maybe since Bear coached there); Hood is the special teams and DB coach at KY, while White is the OLB coach. KY has played 7 games (5 in the SEC), and no opponent has scored more than 20 against the Wildcats this year. They held SC to 10, Florida to 16, Vandy to 7, Miss State to 7 and A&M to 14 (in regulation). That is strong.

Watching my 3rd App State game on TV tonight, plus just looked at the current year-long defensive stats for D1. Their D is good. Brown should get an interview.

Elko is without question 1 of the top 5 D-Coordinators in the NCAA. Have to find a needle in a haystack up-and-coming guy to get something like that again. I'm still a big fan of Bryan Brown at App State and what he has done this year. Troy Reffett from North Texas is putting up a good year too. Clawson may just promote from within, but I'd definitely have Brown drive an hour to at least interview him.

Everyone agrees such a shame we can’t afford the Appy State guy

Bring back Dean Hood and Brad White; both seem like a good fit to return to WF. Both are kicking arse as assistants at KY (best Wildcat defense maybe since Bear coached there); Hood is the special teams and DB coach at KY, while White is the OLB coach. KY has played 7 games (5 in the SEC), and no opponent has scored more than 20 against the Wildcats this year. They held SC to 10, Florida to 16, Vandy to 7, Miss State to 7 and A&M to 14 (in regulation). That is strong.

Such a shame we can’t afford top coaches like that

Clawson might have to swallow very hard at the thought of bringing back any Grobe assistants. Both Hood and Lambert are good coaches, but the Elrod stuff is still fairly recent.

Personal, I like the approach Gundy took at Okie State to fill his OC job - he hired someone no one had heard off from a lower division that had put together a dominant offense.

Get a young guy, basically, and flip him the keys.

I do wonder how much we’re tied to the 4-2-1-4, vs. changing the system with a new DC.

It seems our rovers are more in the mold of Will linebackers now than safeties, so a transition to a more traditional 4-3 may be easier now than a few years ago.

Bring back Dean Hood and Brad White; both seem like a good fit to return to WF. Both are kicking arse as assistants at KY

Unless we pay our assistants more than I think we do, we'd have to offer crazy money to get them away from a great situation right now. Clawson is at the bottom of the ACC in head coach salary. I can't imagine we're paying OLB coaches $375-400K with 2-year contracts like Kentucky is paying Brad. Kentucky is spending $4.5+ million a year on assistants alone. Maybe easier to get Brad than Dean due to the alma mater draw, but I'm ok letting him develop elsewhere and bringing him back as a Coordinator or Head Coach if he continues to rise. Then again, he may be making more than we could pay him as a coordinator.

Last edited:
Back