• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Will Chupe hook it with his cousin? Find out... NEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work near the Southern Folklife Collection, and they pretty much take and cover anything, it's weird. It's just like the Southern diaspora or anything influenced by the South or "folklife", which is a lot. BUT it's a great collection. "Folklife" is a weird word to look at.

Last edited:
Give us your list, ITC! Show us the way.

country is tricky because of the genre (and industry) tradition of utilizing song wrters. It's often difficult to separate great song writers and great performers and/or definitive versions of songs.

If we're keeping it to "country" I'd probably say Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and George Strait because they all were influential writers and unique/influential performers.

Last edited:
I feel like Tammy Wynette, Dolly Parton, and Gram Parsons are deserving of consideration.

country is tricky because of the genre (and industry) tradition of utilizing song wrters. It's often difficult to separate great song writers and great performers and/or definitive versions of songs.

If we're keeping it to "country" I'd probably say Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merl Haggard, Willie Nelson and George Straight because they all were influential writers and unique/influential performers.

You had me going until you misspelled Merle and Strait.

Jerry Reed the most relevant today with Eastbound and Down playing on Ford truck commercials this holiday season.

jerry-reed-playedcledus-snow-aka-snowman-in-thesmokey-and-the-bandit-film-series-about-truckers.jpeg

the Dylan/Cash duet album is a master class in two guys just not sure what the hell to do with each other

yeah, fantastic song, even when muddled by those two

also, per a quick youtube roll - man, John Denver really was a magical voice/performer

They even kind of muddle it on the record. It's raw. They are muddlers. Two genius muddlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back