• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Will Chupe hook it with his cousin? Find out... NEXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed around here a lot of people guilt you if you say you're going to take an Uber, they say Lyft is better.

Yep, the moral outrage over the bro culture stories that came out definitely played a part in that, I get that reaction both here and when I'm out in SF for work. It's not that I really prefer one to the other, I'm just lazy and don't like switching services as long as the one I'm using works. Plus it's not like the local drivers have anything do with that corporate culture shit.

You know, I don't know if cabs just being cheaper would be enough to make me use them over lyft/uber/app service. The main draw is that those are reliable and I can track my driver/etc. Nothing worse than calling a cab and having them never show up because they picked someone else up at the top of Burke St. while you were waiting down at BS Pizza for them... and then you have to call back and talk to a dispatcher and hope it doesn't happen again. Cab companies have had plenty of time to try and catch up technologically and still aren't there IMO. So it would take some pretty drastic price increases to even make me think about going back to that shitty experience.

This. Plus you can put your destination in so the driver follows it on their GPS and when you get there you just hop out. No having to deal with a “broken” credit card reader.

It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to just have a free app that drivers can use that does all the same things that the Uber app does. As long as you can track your driver, know who they are, pay through the app, then the cheapest option should win.

I was surprised that Publix wasn’t busier this evening. Got some thick cut nitrite-free bagel for the weekend.

It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to just have a free app that drivers can use that does all the same things that the Uber app does. As long as you can track your driver, know who they are, pay through the app, then the cheapest option should win.

Yeah, this is basically it. Here's the article, it goes into alot of details of why Uber has no competitive advantage, and that bigger scale doesn't necessarily help them.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/12/will-uber-survive-the-next-decade.html

Yep, the moral outrage over the bro culture stories that came out definitely played a part in that, I get that reaction both here and when I'm out in SF for work. It's not that I really prefer one to the other, I'm just lazy and don't like switching services as long as the one I'm using works. Plus it's not like the local drivers have anything do with that corporate culture shit.

Yeah I had always used Uber and never had an issue but sorta felt forced to sign up for Lyft. They seem pretty much the same from a user perspective. Uber has been great in places like Mexico City and Prague. Helsinki kicked them out and the cabs are expensive af but at least I can expense those.

Uber was awesome in Colombia, particularly in Bogota and Medellin. It was how we got around everywhere, except when we took the train in Medellin.

However it was a little sketchy in Cartagena, at least at the airport. Its apparently unregulated in Colombia, and in Cartagena the police has been cracking down so there wasn't a lot of drivers.

whoa, Carla Gugino was Zach Morris's first love interest in the pilot of Good Morning Miss Bliss.

I switched to Lyft when all the bro culture stuff came out, but in DC they're pretty much the same, and many (most?) drivers actually drive for both and basically switch between the apps depending on surge pricing and pickups. I deleted Uber for a while, but then had a couple times when Lyft wasn't available, so currently have both back on my phone. Sometimes I'll check between the two to compare prices.

In DC it's more of a convenience of payment thing than cost since I think cabs are pretty similar these days. I haven't taken one in a while, but I have a friend who almost exclusively uses them because it's easier to catch a cab from downtown sometimes than wait 10 min for your Uber / Lyft.

Definitely agree it's preferred for early morning pickups or airport travel. I was always wary of scheduling a cab the night before since I can't really hail a cab in my neighborhood. But downtown they're easy to catch.

I switched to Lyft when all the bro culture stuff came out, but in DC they're pretty much the same, and many (most?) drivers actually drive for both and basically switch between the apps depending on surge pricing and pickups. I deleted Uber for a while, but then had a couple times when Lyft wasn't available, so currently have both back on my phone. Sometimes I'll check between the two to compare prices.

In DC it's more of a convenience of payment thing than cost since I think cabs are pretty similar these days. I haven't taken one in a while, but I have a friend who almost exclusively uses them because it's easier to catch a cab from downtown sometimes than wait 10 min for your Uber / Lyft.

Definitely agree it's preferred for early morning pickups or airport travel. I was always wary of scheduling a cab the night before since I can't really hail a cab in my neighborhood. But downtown they're easy to catch.

yeah there definitely is an advantage with cab availability in a big city. was in Chicago recently and walked out of a restaurant to head to O'Hare and got one right there, which was nice since I was in a bit of a rush. But because he didn't have GPS couldn't see the traffic and ended up making me too late for the luggage check time.

I never had a problem scheduling a Yellow Cab in DC for early flights and I would always request a credit card reader. though half the time by the time you arrive at the airport their reader "wouldn't be working" and wouldn't you know it when met with the possibility of me hopping out without paying a quick restart of the machine would fix it.

On top of convenience, service, comfort, cleanliness, and price, I use Uber/Lyft because the model doesn't treat drivers as indentured servants. Cab drivers, in Boston anyway, usually spent most of their earnings paying back the medallion fee to the company's owner. It was a monopoly system that treated the employees like garbage and made a few company owners extremely wealthy. Drivers would be doing 12-14 hour shifts just to make ends meet.

yeah there definitely is an advantage with cab availability in a big city. was in Chicago recently and walked out of a restaurant to head to O'Hare and got one right there, which was nice since I was in a bit of a rush. But because he didn't have GPS couldn't see the traffic and ended up making me too late for the luggage check time.

There's really only one way to get to O'Hare - I-190. GPS wasn't gonna help much.

On top of convenience, service, comfort, cleanliness, and price, I use Uber/Lyft because the model doesn't treat drivers as indentured servants. Cab drivers, in Boston anyway, usually spent most of their earnings paying back the medallion fee to the company's owner. It was a monopoly system that treated the employees like garbage and made a few company owners extremely wealthy. Drivers would be doing 12-14 hour shifts just to make ends meet.

Yes, the medallion system was flawed, but lots of independent cab drivers lost tens, even hundreds, of thousands in medallion value when Uber blew up.

It's geography-dependent, but it's not like Uber drivers are making a living wage: https://www.epi.org/publication/ube...es-and-the-scale-of-uber-and-the-gig-economy/

Do Uber drivers get a higher rate for longer rides? A friend of mine manages a restaurant downtown and takes Uber home a couple of times a week. She said the ride was something like $7-8. The driver gives Uber 20%. Even with a $4-5 tip, when you deduct costs of the car, that isn't much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back