• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Committed Tax Fraud & Insurance Fraud & Bank Fraud

While this is an apples to oranges comparison that doesn't really work, it might be a political winner.

Double paying Ivanka also gives Biden an easy response to any question about Hunter.

Plus the general "failed businessman, now failed politician and American pays the price for both" narrative.

But but but if Biden gets elected I won't be able to do a 1031 Exchange anymore! Boo hoo boo hoo hoo

Trump should start a Gofundme for his debts and fines. Figure there are what, 10-20 million diehard Trump dickheads out there who already spend hundreds on tacky Trump swag, surely they’d happily throw him $20 each to get him outta trouble.

Trump should start a Gofundme for his debts and fines. Figure there are what, 10-20 million diehard Trump dickheads out there who already spend hundreds on tacky Trump swag, surely they’d happily throw him $20 each to get him outta trouble.

Why stop there? When he's out of office he should put all of his social media content behind a pay wall on Patreon or Only Fans. Then he can get all of the rubes to sign up for a $20/month subscription. Fuck it, he should just do it now. It's not like the AG would do anything about it.

Trump is just a supersized example of those people that make a decent amount of money but live paycheck to paycheck with absolutely insane debt levels for their income. You see the nice cars, the nice house, the vacations and think yeah they are doing alright. Then one day there is a for sale sign, the cars are gone, and the fake life is over and it was all just a mirage.

yes... I think a very likely scenario is that within 12 months of leaving office and probably sooner, Trump is getting his rube base to pay off his debt whether by a subscription service or just by flat out begging for the money and calling it a patriot fund or some nonsense like that. The Point being, the Trump will be living off the backs of American workers.

He's like Def Leppard or Styx. They nor he will ever be broke as long as they can still walk onto a stage and puff their hair up

yes... I think a very likely scenario is that within 12 months of leaving office and probably sooner, Trump is getting his rube base to pay off his debt whether by a subscription service or just by flat out begging for the money and calling it a patriot fund or some nonsense like that. The Point being, the Trump will be living off the backs of American workers.

^This. Even if he loses he'll continue to fleece his flock like a Falwell in a tent revival. He'll buy OAN or just start his own right-wing "news" network (probably called Trump News Network to troll CNN), and sell MAGA crap, Trump flags, and other stuff to the rubes via the network. I kept reading earlier this year about the huge war chest he had raised, yet I've also read starting the summer about his campaign actually being in worse financial shape than people thought. Either they lied about all the money he raised (a definite possibility), or he and his minions and family have been skimming from the campaign treasury and pocketing it for themselves, which is also likely. Given the NY Times article, he could also be using this money to pay off his massive debts.

Last edited:
More on what is already known about Trump's debt:

If only there were a way for him to prove that the information is fake...

I anticipate a lawsuit being filed against the NYT as disclosing information on somebody else’s federal tax return is a crime.

Gotta love it when Republicans complain about the quality of government as they actively work to sabotage the government.

I don’t know about you guys but this just gets me PISSED about seeing families with microwaves and televisions driving off in their SUVs after buying crab legs with EBT cards!

I am already bracing for the blowback "well actually, it's not as bad as you think..." from the media who are determined to seem 'balanced' on this. I'm happy to see that the Biden campaign has already put together some graphics and short ad videos hammering home the main point of "This guy claims to be a billionaire businessman and someone who will fight for the average American, meanwhile he pays far less than the average American in taxes and gives hundreds of thousands to foreign governments." That's it, that's the whole ballgame. No kid gloves for once, every single day until November 3rd needs to have that message shouted from the mountaintop.

I get the feeling, at least in the Trump era, the media has decided it doesn’t have to try and be “balanced” anymore. It’s their job to be fair, not balanced.

Someone on a news program said if one side says “it’s raining” and the other side says “it’s sunny,” it’s not the media’s job to report both sides as valid, but to stick their head out of the window and find out the truth.

I hope they stick with it after Trump’s out of office because one side is definitely less truthy.

It will be interesting to see how they cover Biden vs Trump following the debate. In 2016 they were harsher on Hillary for not completely answering a question or getting a fact slightly wrong when Trump was clearly worse but because he didn't fall below their already low expectations he "did better."

Same will likely happen tomorrow night if Biden misspeaks or flubs a sentence whereas I assume Trump will just do what he does which in no way will resemble a debate.

my 2 cents after reading the article:

- he's really good at using the tax code to its fullest extent. having a TV show so that you can write off your haircuts is really sharp.
- he pushes right up to the limit. I'd characterize him as "prudently aggressive," in that he isn't likely to go to jail for most of what I read, even though he might end up paying a lot of penalties and interest. For guys like him, that's the whole game.
- I'm not too bothered by him paying Ivanka; she included the income on her return, so someone paid tax on it.
- The abandonment loss is VERY aggressive; I advised a client a few years ago on abandoning stock of a subsidiary and we ran across those rulings. You simply cannot get anything back....even relief from a partnership liability is problematic, and receiving stock of an entity should kill the ordinary loss.

Finally, and more broadly, his long-term strategy seems to be: use leverage and depreciation to create large tax losses wherever possible to offset income from other sources. The NYT is pointing out that a lot of the leverage is coming due soon, but I suspect his plan is to refinance it and keep the leverage in place for his lifetime. He's building up value in his various properties through real estate appreciation, and that doesn't show up anywhere until you sell it. When he passes away, his heirs will get stepped up basis in those properties, which they can then use to pay down debt without a tax bill. By avoiding the income tax during his lifetime, he allows his heirs to avoid it through the basis stepup at death. It's not at all dumb, and it seems to be working.

Back