• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Committed Tax Fraud & Insurance Fraud & Bank Fraud

I mean his plan is to just roll over debt until he dies and then to him who cares, penniless so he can get to heaven.

That's the right angle. All i'm saying is to avoid the details of real estate taxes and hammer home the over aching theme. The tweet showing the average tax bill for various professions compared to Trump's is great. But the Pubs are going to quickly find a way to accuse the Dems of rigging the system and Trump is the just playing the game better. This will be Bill Clinton's fault before you know it. "How can we trust the Democrats to fix an unfair tax program that they created. We (republicans) want to cut taxes and even the playing field so that everyone only pays $750 per year!"

I just don't think tax policy is a winning strategy for Dems in 2020, but shitting on Trump and undermining his entire 'tough, successful, business man' facade is a better way to go.

I guess my point is that you can run on both: Trump is gaming the system through shady deals AND we need to fix the system so people pay their fair share of taxes

The average American has crippling ADD and likes to reads at a 6th grade level. Don't overcomplicate it.

This is a real bitch to deal with when writing medical consent forms that need to pass IRB approval. Distill down a complex scientific study to a middle school level vocabulary.

So yeah stick with Trump is poor and a con-man dropping your salary on haircuts while paying no taxes.

I've seen it said many times in the last 24 hours "he was just using the tax code created by Obama".

Yep. And if Dems keep running ads showing how much regular people pay, the Trump message is "Look how much Democrats want you to pay in taxes. I'm trying to fix things so you can pay what I'm paying."

That's all great stuff, especially the tax bill stuff, but they need to be really careful on the talk show circuit not to get bogged down into details this close to the election. Tax law is boring and super confusing; voters will tune out. Pubs will talk their way out of it and accuse Dems of doing the exact same thing as Trump to bo-sides the issue and create confusion. "Bernie Sanders owns a mansion blah blah blah...". Pubs have the perceived upper hand on tax reform, even though the data and history completely refute this notion, and Dems will lose the argument once they starting talking about depreciation loops-holes and the technical illegality of paying Ivanka as a consultant.

I agree with you, they should keep it high level and accessible soundbites. No one should be discussing depreciation.

In 2017 Republicans tried to get rid of the tax deduction for teachers that spend money on their classrooms. It was so unpopular and politically fraught that they backed off, but it's still capped at $250. Not everything tax-related is in the weeds. (Meanwhile they added deductions for the use of private jets.)

I guess my point is that you can run on both: Trump is gaming the system through shady deals AND we need to fix the system so people pay their fair share of taxes

Ok, but my belief is that it will back fire. People have a prior belief that the Pubs are better on taxes and that belief is/has been really hard to over come in the past, despite tons of evidence to the contrary. The same way people still think Pubs are more fiscally responsible despite Regan, BushII, and Trump xsploding the debt, people think Dems just want to raise taxes even though the last president to do so was GHW Bush. It defies logic and reason, but taxes are typically a political looser for Dems and winner for Pubs.

Agreed. Show me a rental property, and I'll almost always show you losses building up even while the property appreciates.....and then when you sell it, you just roll it over into the next property and keep the loss train rolling. Most of us with rental property losses have them suspended as passive losses - but by being active in his real estate businesses, he is able to deduct them as he goes against active income.

But to fund the improvements, you have to have income somewhere, don't you? Trump is universally showing losses. So what's he living on?

Dems should also point out that this proves a wealth tax is needed because it's very clear there are serious issues with the uber-rich paying taxes.

Dems should also point out that this proves a wealth tax is needed because it's very clear there are serious issues with the uber-rich paying taxes.

yeah but if we do that then the trailer park denizens and wage slaves will never get a chance to play those tax-games when they become super wealthy!

Ok, but my belief is that it will back fire. People have a prior belief that the Pubs are better on taxes and that belief is/has been really hard to over come in the past, despite tons of evidence to the contrary. The same way people still think Pubs are more fiscally responsible despite Regan, BushII, and Trump xsploding the debt, people think Dems just want to raise taxes even though the last president to do so was GHW Bush. It defies logic and reason, but taxes are typically a political looser for Dems and winner for Pubs.

taxing the rich polls well :shrug:

Didn't $250 haircuts basically tank John Edwards' populist president campaign?

NAH - Pretty sure it was banging his videographer mistress on the campaign payroll, fathering a child with said mistress, denying the child was his, later admitting it actually was his child, and all this while his wife was going through cancer treatments.

NAH - Pretty sure it was banging his videographer mistress on the campaign payroll, fathering a child with said mistress, denying the child was his, later admitting it actually was his child, and all this while his wife was going through cancer treatments.

So you are saying he was a bad guy?

Because it’s not true. For 2016 and 2017 he paid $750 after the application of credits.

He would have been entitled to a refund but rolled those payments forward to offset future liabilities.

Shitty but consensual.

"I can do anything I want. Walk up and kiss them. Grab em in the pussy."
-donald j(enius) trump

That's what he paid with his extensions Einstein. That isn't what he owed when he filed the tax return. Brad demonstrating that his understanding of rudimentary income tax concepts are as impressive is his understanding of basic statistics.

Last edited:
Because it’s not true. For 2016 and 2017 he paid $750 after the application of credits.

He would have been entitled to a refund but rolled those payments forward to offset future liabilities.

What's not true?

$1M paid to the Treasury in 2016. $4.2M paid to the Treasury in 2017.

The $750 is the additional amount owed for both years and as you stated the overpayment was rolled forward to offset future income instead of refunded.

John Edwards is an all-time worst Dem and he’d barely crack the top 20 worst Pubs.

Back