• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

Wouldn't overpay but with our glut at forward position and the way Lamb has been playing lately averaging 15 pts/game and 6 rebs/game over last 10 games you could package some attractive players like Lamb, Frank the tank, and either Marvin or Cody and then you have a super nasty backcourt with Malik and Parker as backups then opens door for more mins. for Miles @ SF along with Batum and then having MKG, Hernangomez, Bismack and either Marvin or Cody to play 4/5.

Hopefully Lamb can keep it up but not sure he is the guy you want to depend on in clutch situations against the top teams when it matters most.

Ideally, yes, but I don't see the Wizards making a move like that without getting Monk or Bridges, which I wouldn't do if I'm the Hornets. Or maybe like 2 first round picks, which I also wouldn't do if I'm the Hornets given the relative recent draft success. I think the Lakers have set themselves up to cherrypick Beal for a package of something like Ingram, a pick, and some of the Rondo/Lance 1-year expiring deals, which is much more attractive to the Wizards who would be completely rebuilding than what the Hornets would be willing or able to offer.

But just to reiterate that I don't think he is going anywhere anyway

i'd give up monk for beal in a second

i wish we didn't have three more years of batum

i'd give up monk for beal in a second

i wish we didn't have three more years of batum

completely agree I would give up Monk instead of Lamb in a heart beat. Not sure Monk will get there defensively and think he will be a journeyman 6th man who can bring some scoring off bench but not certain he will turn into a consistent threat. Got to go with the guaranteed commodity vs. a hope to be. Especially if can unload Frank and Marvin.

Also agree not sure they can afford to be paying $24mm/year for Batum unless he starts playing like him old self.

Unless they dump some salaries, if they max Kemba, the Hornets will be close to or just over the luxury tax number next year.

The following year, if they don't stretch Batum, they will be over $75M just on Batum, Zeller and maxed Kemba.

The depressing thing is that none of it really matters. The NBA Finals have been set since pre-season - or before. Every year.

The depressing thing is that none of it really matters. The NBA Finals have been set since pre-season - or before. Every year.

Champion, sure. The East actually seems pretty wide open right now.

The East isn’t set. It’s not going to be the Hornets but the East will be very competitive.

The proposed offer is allegedly MKG + Lamb + Monk + Marvin/Batum + 2019 protected pic for Beal and Jeff Green. I hate giving up the first three, but I guess you gotta do it to get a player of Beal's caliber plus dump one of the Marv/Batum nooses. I'm still not sure Washington goes for that, they have to be getting better offers elsewhere. Or if they aren't already, I bet they do after this rumor gets out there.

Is beal as good as I’ve assumed he is? Wiz twitter isn’t nearly as high as high on him as I would expect. Like hornets twitter saying anything non glowing about Kemba would be highly frowned upon even when we’re going on long losing streaks on the way to 36-46, and it gets very upset about any mention of a trade

Also, batum was always gonna be overpaid, but it’s crazy that he’s flat out washed up at 29

I'm obviously not a Wizards fan, but I've always thought Beal was a little overrated. He puts up really good numbers, but over the course of the season IMO he seems to play much better against the teams they should beat (i.e. the Hornets in the past) than against the teams they have been trying to catch. I think Wiz fans expect a little more from him given the overall talent that they have had. Plus, nobody doubts that Kemba gives complete max effort on virtually every play in every game, win or lose, which can't be said for most of the NBA, Beal included; so I think naturally people have more affection for Kemba watching him play, it is really hard not to defend someone who is obviously busting their ass like he does regardless of the outcome. That said, our SG production has been absolutely abysmal basically forever, so Beal would be a huge upgrade for us despite any criticism.

I don't think Batum is totally washed up, but he doesn't really fit with the Hornets roster. His best role is as like a #4 or #5 option on a good team with lots of other guys who can score. He can play D, rebound a little, make some nice passes, and hit a jumper from time to time, like a non-hustling glue guy. But on a team where we still don't have a lot of frontcourt scoring, Marv definitely seems washed up offensively, and the SG scoring is streaky at best, Batum can't waste another wing spot not scoring. Like I think if the Hornets could pull off this trade and have Beal at the 2, and Bridges continues to develop up front, then Batum becomes a lot more useful for them and can play more minutes. But as the roster stands now with Monk still growing and Lamb being who he is, having Batum's lack of scoring in that SF spot is a killer.

The proposed offer is allegedly MKG + Lamb + Monk + Marvin/Batum + 2019 protected pic for Beal and Jeff Green. I hate giving up the first three, but I guess you gotta do it to get a player of Beal's caliber plus dump one of the Marv/Batum nooses. I'm still not sure Washington goes for that, they have to be getting better offers elsewhere. Or if they aren't already, I bet they do after this rumor gets out there.[/QU

Ok with the trade except for the '19 pic. That seems way too much. Reality is if you are going to compete for championships you have to have 3 superstars and we would at least have 2 so we could make some real noise especially if Bridges continues to develop. Reality is your only risk is Monk as he could turn out to be a superstar, but wouldn't bet on it at this time. You pretty much know what you are going to get from MKG and Lamb in some really solid play but not take over players. Would prefer giving up Marvin over Batum given other bigs we have and like Batum's flexibility between 2/3 especially if we truly did give up the first 3. Depth would be more of an issue than today.

only thing with beal for me is that depth is our only strength besides Kemba. Trading away 4 dudes would kinda make us the Wiz from last year, who sucked because they had zero bench. If we could get him for 2 or 3 guys it'd make more sense to me. Also shooting guard is the only position we actually get decent scoring numbers out of currently. Monk and Lamb are both pretty streaky but between the two of them we usually get a solid performance out of at least one of them each game. SF-PF-C are where we need the biggest upgrades. I wonder if there'd be any interest in Batum and a 1st for Porter. Give both guys a badly needed fresh start. Wiz players apparently hate Porter. Probably wishful thinking that any team would take Batum and his albatross contract. If anyone could be suckered I'd think it'd be Grunfeld though

don't mind giving up monk for beal

I like that we're using MKG correctly as a small ball PF/C at times

That trade doesnt make sense to me. Washington gets a bunch of older role players, 1 underwhelming sophomore, and a protected pick? Charlotte gets a salary dump and 25yo Brad Beal on a longterm contract?

Two really frustrating 1-point road losses in a row at the Thunder and at the pitiful Hawks. In both games we had the ball with a chance to take the last shot down one, and it is the same script we've seen for the last several years in any one possession game. Everyone in the building knows Kemba is getting the ball, he takes a wild drive to the basket with no real chance of making the shot and just hoping for a foul call that doesn't come. The nice wrinkle in both of these games was that he kicked to Marvin for a wide open three that of course clanked off the rim. Same shit different day, can't finish.

Injuries have been catching up with this team - MKG, Parker, and Hernangomez have all sat the last few games. Frank has actually gotten some PT and played well, and Bacon has been playing well also. But this team is not good enough to win without its full roster because too many guys are inconsistent. Will likely get pounded by the Bucks at home tonight to fall 2 games under .500.

But John Collins was a beast. Good thing Danny took that 3 star guy and turned him into a potential allstar. Hawks looked better overall than I expected.

Back