• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018-2019 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Lose Kemba and All Fans

This is why we can't have nice things.....blow a 20-point lead at home to the New York Knicks just because we can't figure out a simple zone defense.

TP has been a great acquisition. But there are nights he has nothing in the tank and everyone knows it and Borrego plays him anyway. Last night was one of those, we played 4 on 5 for 8 minutes of the 4th Q with him out there. Meanwhile monk was playing great and got benched after one turnover. Frustrating

Horrible weekend of games, the aforementioned gagging away a 20-point second half lead against the hapless Knicks, and then getting totally worked by the Lakers who have one great player and a bunch of scrubs. Kemba has been pretty bad lately, I wonder if he is hurt or just worn out.

Watching the state game. Saw the cavs-hornets score. Saw who has gotten minutes tonight. Borrego is fucking awful sometimes

Watching the state game. Saw the cavs-hornets score. Saw who has gotten minutes tonight. Borrego is fucking awful sometimes

Came back to win with a dominant 2nd half, but were Monk and Bacon healthy scratches tonight (box score shows DNP - CD for both of them)?

Came back to win with a dominant 2nd half, but were Monk and Bacon healthy scratches tonight (box score shows DNP - CD for both of them)?

Had to rest them because of their age.

Yeah I just don't get these lineups. Granted Marvin had probably his best game of the year and Batum was surprisingly decent, but there is no reason why Monk and Bacon shouldn't get any minutes at all. Frank, who has been playing well lately, also got less minutes than usual. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it isn't like the lineup should be dictated by who the sorry Cavs put on the floor.

I like Borrego's offensive style and his defense is better than I anticipated at times, but the lineups often confuse me. It is abundantly clear that MKG is the second most important player on this team, and his minutes should reflect that yet he is 7th on the team in minutes. I don't mind him initially coming off the bench for energy, but he shouldn't go back to the bench as often as the other reserves.

All that said, Kemba was fantastic. Didn't score and looked brutal on his shots until about halfway through the second quarter, then went nuts and finished with 30. Lamb and MKG also continued their solid play.

We consistently have two starters (usually two of Cody, Batum, Marv) get less than 6 points each game. But borrego decided the real problem on the team was the young guys on the bench (which has been our best unit). Moron. After last night’s game Bridges is the only young player he can irrationally blame. He’s gone full Clifford after a promising start

Back watching after missing the last 3 games. Bizarre last minute of the 4th Q. TP almost single handedly losing this game in OT. Atrocious on offense and defense. Must have dirt on Borrego from the Spurs days. The tight leash on Monk compared to Parker is difficult to fathom

Back watching after missing the last 3 games. Bizarre last minute of the 4th Q. TP almost single handedly losing this game in OT. Atrocious on offense and defense. Must have dirt on Borrego from the Spurs days. The tight leash on Monk compared to Parker is difficult to fathom

Impressive way to lose one.

Yeah tried losing that one about 6 different times and ways until it finally happened. We should not be losing a game where both Kemba and Lamb go for 30+. But again with the inexplicable lineups. In both OTs it was predominantly Kemba-Parker/Monk-Lamb-Batum-Marvin. Why the fuck was Batum in there instead of MKG? He offers nothing that MKG can't do at a significantly higher level (including jumpshots at this point), plus we wouldn't have the classic Batum fuckups - lane violation on game winning FT attempt with no time left, bad inbounds passing, slapping at rebounds Ricky Peral-style, etc.

Zeller gets injured Monday, sits out tonight, Hornets lose by 38 points at home to the NBA's worst road team....yep, sounds about right. :rulz:

I'm almost completely BorregOut at this point. His management of this roster has been completely horrible. Monk, Bridges, and Bacon all go games without playing at all, Frank as well. Then when called on for injury (Lamb, Zeller) or matchup they are predictably completely unprepared. Devonte Graham (who I like and think will be a legit backup PG) has been playing more but in weird lineups next to Kemba and several times with both Kemba and Parker in a Wake-esque 3-PG lineup. So Lamb is out and Graham gets the start instead of Monk or Bacon, who actually play the same positions as Lamb, and not surprisingly they lose by 40 at home to the fucking Mavs. The starting 5 last night was Kemba, Graham, Batum, Marv, and Hernangomez. WTF? Who the fuck is scoring in that lineup other than Kemba? That lineup has no chance of winning. He continues to ride Batum, who should not be ridden for anything. MKG still gets reserve minutes despite his value when on the floor - last night he had the same number of minutes as JP Macura and less minutes than Biyombo.

They start a 6-game road trip on Saturday, if they go 0-6 I'd seriously consider canning him as he is starting to waste an all-NBA season from Kemba with decent talent around him.

man that monk article on NYT is depressing. he's already ready to get out. With the way Borrego has jerked everyone but the starting 5 and TP's minutes I've wondered if he knows how to deal with actual human beings and the takeaway from that article is a big no. Starting a slow undersized PG beside Kemba rather than Monk after Lamb went down was just inexcusably dumb. especially since Monk had a big game right before that.

man that monk article on NYT is depressing. he's already ready to get out. With the way Borrego has jerked everyone but the starting 5 and TP's minutes I've wondered if he knows how to deal with actual human beings and the takeaway from that article is a big no. Starting a slow undersized PG beside Kemba rather than Monk after Lamb went down was just inexcusably dumb. especially since Monk had a big game right before that.

Link?

Finished a frustrating western conference road trip 2-4 by beating the Spurs in an inspired homecoming for TP. It was the Hornets' first win in San Antonio since 2006. They played pretty well, and the Spurs looked awful, which is annoying because why can't Borrego get them that focused every night? Why does it take the Spurs fans serenading Parker to get the Hornets to play well?

So we're at 20-23, in the 8th spot in the East. Obviously there is a long way to go, but the schedule is pretty tough for the next 5 weeks or so and Zeller isn't back any time soon. I think the 6 seed should be the target as we match up well against the Pacers as the 3, but I'm not sure if we are going to even make the playoffs. We lack so much consistency that you never know who is going to show up from night to night. Kemba is on one level of consistency, then Lamb and MKG in their respective roles, but after that it is a total crapshoot between Marv, Bridges, Monk, Batum, Graham, TP, and the Hernangomez/Biyombo/Frank combo. Sometimes a couple of those guys play great, other times none of them show up. Borrego seems really bad at recognizing the #hothand in warmups or early in the game, which is part of the problem.

Looked good last night in a solid win against the decent Kings. Hernangomez had his best game of the season, and Bridges had one of his, which included several monster dunks. He has got to be in the dunk contest given that Charlotte is hosting. MKG also played fantastic on both ends of the floor. Kemba had a strong night and Batum still blows. It was the first time we've won back to back games in a month. Will try to make it 3 in a row tomorrow against the Suns in a Glenn Rice Classic Night game with a strange 5:00 Saturday start.

The only way the Hornets will ever better than the bottom 2/3 of the playoffs is to tank and get a couple of great draft picks. Whether you like it or not, Charlotte is not a destination for free agents.

Back